Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#373 2008-01-05 14:08:35

zero
Website

Re: tru_tags: A tagging plugin for textpattern

In your instructions, Nathan, you state:
“By default, tru_tags includes article tags in the RSS and Atom feeds, using standard XML elements so that Technorati (and others) will discover the tags.”

I haven’t had it installed long and it seemed that Technorati was only discovering the categories and only listed those under its Tags and did not list anything from my ‘keywords’ field.

So when I saw this:
“tru_tags also supports adding article tags to the ‘body’ of the feeds”
I applied your suggestion and now technorati picks up those tags.

I would prefer not to add tags to the body of feeds but will technorati pick up the tags? Is it just me or does technorati need tags to be in the rss body if categories are also being used?

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#374 2008-01-05 17:09:26

merz1
Website

Pls. check the T. help pages i.e. Q: My posts are indexed, but my tags aren’t. What can I do?

Technorati …

• Picks up every link which has an rel=“tag” attribute. T. help: Verify the format of the tag code. Please check to make sure you include a defined tag relationship of rel=“tag” for each link you would like indexed as a post tag.
  • Tags in feeds are crawled/indexed earlier. T. Help: …make sure your tags are included in the associated Atom or RSS feed.
  • The page crawler is pretty slow and undependable.

T. help says re. categories: Since categories are considered as tags, these are picked up when the post is first indexed.

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

#375 2008-01-05 17:49:35

zero
Website

Thank you, Markus. I hadn’t seen that before.

It seems that tru_tags is not adding rel=“tag” to my feeds, except in the circumstances I described.

I’ve just turned off the option in the tru_tags extensions to “Append the tag list to the body of RSS/Atom” and now a look at http://txpq.com/atom/ shows no rel=“tag”. I thought perhaps it was because I use the txp preference of “Syndicate article excerpt only”, but setting this to No still doesn’t produce any tags in the feed.

However, the feed doesn’t show categories either, but I know these are picked up by Technorati so I still don’t know what is going on.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#376 2008-01-05 18:42:50

merz1
Website

Did you check the source code of the feed?
Right now I only see <category term=”“ /> which are totally OK as tags for Technorati.

Keywords are listed as category tags in the atom feed:

<category term="textpattern" />
<category term="txp" />
<category term="design" />

<category term="interview" />
<category term="plugins" />

AND: You are offering a ‘section feed’. Maybe there are problems? Please activate the ‘add tags’ feature and check the source code!

I have added an extra form ‘tru_tags_feed_tags’ which is pretty powerful :)
This form allows you to append any content to the original feed.
The tag links contain the rel=“tag” attribute.

Tru_Tags Documentation (Step 6):

By default, the tags will show up at the end of your post in a paragraph that looks like “tags: trees, flowers, animals, etc” (with links, and with rel=“tag”). If you want to customize this display, simply create a new ‘misc’ form (in the Textpattern admin) named “tru_tags_feed_tags”. Anything you put into that form will be put into the ‘body’ of your RSS/Atom feed(s).

For the tags I use the following condition:

<txp:tru_tags_if_has_tags>
<strong>Keywords:</strong> <txp:tru_tags_from_article  texttransform="capitalize" />
</txp:tru_tags_if_has_tags>

Plus some other conditions … check it out if you want: Hamburg St. Georg Feed (and/or add /atom or /rss to my homepage URL)

Technorati picks up the tags/categories from your article page after being pinged.

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

#377 2008-01-05 19:41:48

zero
Website

Thanks, Markus, I got it now. For some reason I did not think there was a source code and I am feeling very stupid now!

I was using Step 6 that you refer to. I mentioned it above when I wrote:
“tru_tags also supports adding article tags to the ‘body’ of the feeds”
I applied your suggestion and now technorati picks up those tags.

I think the problem must have been that at the beginning I changed the tags (keywords) round a bit, so Technorati had picked up my first ping but had not picked up the changes. (The last two paragraphs of the Q: My posts are indexed, but my tags aren’t. What can I do? explains why).

Thanks for you your help, sorry for my stupidity, and I can now play with tru_tags and get the most out of it. Cheers!

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#378 2008-01-06 04:10:19

truist
Plugin Author
Website

Marcus, thanks a lot for your help!

zero, glad you got it worked out.

#379 2008-01-06 16:26:49

merz1
Website

Nathan: Happy New Year! Where is my A-Z index :-)

Zero: Thumbs up for your alternative TXP magazine project TXPQ! Nice interviews! Maybe you can start a thread here in the forum to announce the project and new articles in the future. From me you get a vote +1 :)

#380 2008-01-06 17:39:03

zero
Website

Thanks, Markus. The nice interviews are down to the nice interviewees. TXP users are generally a very cool bunch so it’s a pleasure to ask a few questions and get to know them a little bit.

I announced TXPQ in the txpmag.com thread and I post articles once a week and sometimes announce them in a Feedback forum thread or sometimes in Lets See Yours Then

But perhaps you’re right and I should start a new thread but I’m not sure where’s the best place to put it. Thanks for the del.icio.us links, btw. Now I’ve got broadband I should really be using those sort of sites to raise awareness of TXPQ. I just started using Digg and it brings in visitors, and Technorati and del.icio.us may help too now that I’ve subscribed.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#381 2008-01-06 19:06:02

merz1
Website

Thread: Textpattern in the media incl. blogs, video, audio etc. (Links)

Like a press section in the forum. OK. Here we go:

I need some support (or critic) for this new thread

‘Textpattern in the media’ – New main folder in the forum?

#382 2008-01-11 18:58:25

merz1
Website

Feature request: external links, inline tag links, pull tagged pictures i.e. from Flickr, pull tagged videos from i.e. YouTube

Reading the Pivot documentation about tags I found some very nice features which can be enabled for tag search result pages.

Example tag page picture

As you can see it lists the entries on your weblog that have been tagged with that tag, it shows the related tags, buttons to fetch feeds with links from various external sources, and a few images from Flickr that have been tagged with it.

Setting the options for tags picture

Advanced: Automatically pull and display external tag RSS feeds.

I like the option to automatically link to external tag result pages.

I also like the Pivot [[tt]] template tag to create inline tag links in article context.

<txp:tru_tags_tag tag="keyword" />

Using this code would produce a tag link.
Additional argument: url="" to create an external tag link.
Predefined external sources (admin side) will be convenient.

Last edited by merz1 (2008-12-08 13:34:41)

#383 2008-01-23 03:03:09

kyber

Ref: clickable list of tags on the “Write” page:

I have only recently installed this plug-in but I love it already and have tagged many articles and have the standard display/link functions working in the manner one would expect.

One oddity that I cannot understand though is that in Opera (v9.25 build 8827) for Windows the tags were (sic) happily showing up correctly on the Write screen below the keywords box when all of a sudden they stopped showing up. Works fine in Internet Explorer but suddenly, Opera stopped playing. Can see the code is present to show them when I look at the source. I am wondering if I have too many tags already for the display code to work in Opera.

Any ideas?

#384 2008-01-23 13:22:59

truist
Plugin Author
Website

There have been a couple of reports like this. Can you paste a copy of your current tag cloud here? Maybe that will lead to a clue.

Board footer