Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#385 2008-01-23 18:09:07

kyber

Re: tru_tags: A tagging plugin for textpattern

afs, asthma, authors, backups, blogs, board games, books, brother, cameras, camping, cars, cats, company cars, computers, d3, d300, data-recovery, dogs, dog trust, dog walking, dominica, driving, equipment, flickr, forums, fruit, funny, gig, hardware, health, holidays, hotel, laptops, lilleshall, models, monopoly. games, monument, newport photography club, nikon, pets, photography, photos, portraiture, sayings, security, shoot, site, spain, technology, textpattern, traffic, website, work, zoo

#386 2008-01-26 20:33:55

truist
Plugin Author
Website

Maybe it is just an opera bug. I tried adding all those tags to my test site, and everything worked just fine in Firefox. Does opera have any sort of javascript debugger?

#387 2008-02-16 16:45:15

kyber

it does; been playing but really cannot get to what is causing the problem. Weird. Nevermind. Does not seem to be a problem for anyone else so must be peculiar to my configuration in some way. Thanks for trying it out.

#388 2008-03-10 01:00:01

aswihart
Website

For some reason, when using the tag search to display articles, if there is only one tagged article, I get a 404 error. All the other tag pages are working fine. Is this normal behavior or is something wrong? This happens also when I reverted to dirty urls.

Last edited by aswihart (2008-03-10 01:06:46)

#389 2008-03-10 01:22:51

truist
Plugin Author
Website

It’s not a known problem, and I just tested it on my site and it seems to be working. What is the tag in question? Does it show up in the tag cloud? What URL is being used?

#390 2008-03-10 01:43:21

aswihart
Website

Yes, all the tags show up in my cloud. It happens with any tag with only one article associated with it, for example on my site: dfa or video. I think it was working fine, before I upgraded to 4.06 and did a number of other things on my site, but I can’t think of what I could have done. Haven’t touched my .htaccess file.

On an off-note, I found a nice way to give you relevant meta data for keywords on tag search pages and all your tagged articles:

<txp:if_section name="tag">
<meta name="keywords" content="<txp:tru_tags_tag_parameter />,<txp:tru_tags_related_tags_from_search generatelinks="0" setclasses="0" setsizes="0" />" />
<txp:else />
<meta name="keywords" content="<txp:keywords />" />
</txp:if_section>

Last edited by aswihart (2008-03-10 02:22:14)

#391 2008-03-10 02:32:04

truist
Plugin Author
Website

Hm. tru_tags generates the 404 page if it doesn’t find any articles that have that tag in the keywords field. It should be using the same search that it uses for generating the tag cloud, and that appears to be working.

If you want to experiment, try setting the noarticles attribute of your tru_tags_handler call to a random URL. If you get that random URL instead of the 404 page, you know that it’s a problem related to tru_tags. If you still get the 404 page, that means that somehow it’s not even getting to the tru_tags code. (I expect you’ll get the URL, but it’s worth trying out.)

And that’s a great find on the metadata – I’m going to start using it!

#392 2008-03-10 11:52:10

aswihart
Website

Actually, I still get the 404 error page. Any ideas?

#393 2008-03-10 13:09:05

truist
Plugin Author
Website

Wow, that’s surprising. Um… I’m not sure what’s wrong, at this point. Maybe check your server error logs?

#394 2008-03-10 13:17:10

merz1
Website

WFM: One keyword issue is not reproducible for me too.

Example: DB aktuell

[OT] Use in page header tag <title> via form ‘header_tag_title’

<txp:tru_tags_if_tag_search>
<title><txp:tru_tags_tag_parameter striphyphens="1" /> © Hamburg St. Georg Informationen</title>
<txp:else />
<title>Keyword Search (tag cloud) © Hamburg St. Georg Informationen</title>
</txp:tru_tags_if_tag_search>

Using two forms as described in Trick: Textpattern with page dependent header meta description. The actual whole code for my first form calling the second is in the last comment.

Get all online mentions of Textpattern via OPML subscription: TXP Info Sources: Textpattern RSS feeds as dynamic OPML

#395 2008-03-10 13:52:26

aswihart
Website

I don’t see anything in my error logs, something in particular I should look for?

I tried using a plain .htaccess file to no avail. It’s really weird because if I type in some other tag that REALLY doesn’t have any articles associated with it, the noarticles attribute works.

I also tried making the tag handler display simpler, it was this:

<txp:tru_tags_handler form="excerpt-one" limit="1" noarticles="http://andrewswihart.net" section="blog" />
<txp:tru_tags_handler form="excerpt" limit="99" offset="1" section="blog" />

I changed it (temporarily) to:

<txp:tru_tags_handler form="test" noarticles="http://andrewswihart.net" section="blog" />

…where form ‘test’ is just <txp:excerpt />

Last edited by aswihart (2008-03-10 13:56:14)

#396 2008-03-10 14:13:30

aswihart
Website

OK, I’ve got it working if I eliminate all other page elements except <txp:tru_tags_handler />, so there must be something else messing stuff up. I’ll keep adding things back until I find what breaks it.

EDIT: I figured it out. It was apparently the way I had tag_handler setup (see the first set of tags in my last comment), and even when I had these commented out and replaced with the simpler one, they were causing the tags with only one article to generate a 404 error, presumably because there was no second article for the second tag_hander tag to process.

The reason I have two tag_handler tags, is so the first article in the list can be presented slightly differently, currently I just eliminate the divider image (thin line separating excerpts) from the the first article. Anyone know of another way of doing this (presenting the first article in a list differently)? Also, could this be “fixed” in the plugin? My strategy actually works fine with the <txp:article /> tag, I just tested it by putting one article in a section, and it processes fine using the excerpt-one form and does not choke when there is no second article to process.

BTW, I also realized that the noarticle attribute does actually work on the tags with single articles, if I put it in the second tag_handler tag (the one with the offset) in my comment above. Is there another value I can put in there to make it “do nothing” when it finds no more articles matching that tag? This would fix it, if it would just do nothing instead of throwing a 404 error or redirecting me somewhere else.

Last edited by aswihart (2008-03-10 14:38:37)

Board footer