Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#517 2019-05-26 02:15:29

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Txp cookies, visitor logging, and GDPR stuff in general

One year of GDPR

Nick Heer commenting on a Twitter response to a Politico article – “A Year After GDPR, Google and Facebook Are Less Impacted Than Smaller Companies”.

This isn’t the fault of GDPR rules, but the way that they have been manipulated by tech companies wary of other governments mandating opt-in consent. By that metric, then, GDPR has been quite effective: the idea that it could be a worldwide model scares the shit out of big industry players, and they’re doing everything they can to combat opt-in requirements.

(my emphasis)

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#518 2019-05-26 20:34:17

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

I am reminded of the Detroit Pacers, a very successful NBA team back in the late 1980’s. They were considered masters of defensive play. Their secret: They would commit fouls on nearly every play. Knowing that the referees simply wouldn’t call all of them.

Google and Facebook get slapped with massive fines. Or at least massive from a PR point of view. 50 Million Euro sounds like a lot to the average taxpayer or government regulator but still well within their ability to pay without severely damaging their quarterly profit.

They pay the fine – after contesting them long enough to make it look good. Then they move on. Secure in the knowledge that a similar fine will crush their smaller competitors.

#519 2019-06-01 15:39:28

JimJoe
Website

Yeah, a fine like that, more likely pocket change for them. Could indeed harm or shut down a small company.

#520 2019-07-29 16:32:39

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

Europe’s top court has made a ruling that could affect scores of websites that embed the Facebook ‘Like’ button and receive visitors from the region. The ruling by the Court of Justice of the EU states such sites are jointly responsible for the initial data processing — and must either obtain informed consent from site visitors prior to data being transferred to Facebook, or be able to demonstrate a legitimate interest legal basis for processing this data. – Europe’s top court sharpens guidance for sites using leaky social plug-ins

So until someone says yes to the popup no like/share buttons can appear. I’ll have to think about how to implement this. You can’t just hide them with Javascript.

#521 2019-07-29 23:05:16

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

michaelkpate wrote #318874:

Thanks for flagging this ruling. That is good. Hopefully there a more ruling like that coming.

So until someone says yes to the popup no like/share buttons can appear. I’ll have to think about how to implement this. You can’t just hide them with Javascript.

Just don’t use it (the FB provided code, I mean) ? If you must have some sort of button for Facebook, use a plain link , I think Colak has done something like that.

Last edited by phiw13 (2019-07-29 23:06:00)

#522 2019-07-30 04:12:27

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

phiw13 wrote #318875:

Thanks for flagging this ruling. That is good. Hopefully there a more ruling like that coming.

Just don’t use it (the FB provided code, I mean) ? If you must have some sort of button for Facebook, use a plain link , I think Colak has done something like that.

`yep:) github.com/colak/neme/blob/master/pages/default.tpl#L222

michaelkpate wrote #318874:

And here it is in plain english

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#523 2019-07-30 06:44:02

jakob
Admin
Website

And if you want to also show the click count without exposing your site visitors to social media tracking systems, you can also use Shariff (Demo). It requires a little more initial setup (it effectively prefetches the count data, then pulls that in) and javascript but is straightforward thereafter.

And for Twitter feeds without twitter tracking, there’s Tweetledee (which works nicely with smd_xml and probably also etc_query). It works using a similar principle to pre-cache twitter data, which you can then display on your site.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#524 2019-07-30 15:28:27

Destry
Website

phiw13 wrote #318875:

If you must have some sort of button for Facebook, use a plain link…

Or just not add any Zuckerbutt-licking links at all. :)

#525 2019-07-30 15:31:27

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

phiw13 wrote #318875:

I never use those links personally – I always copy & paste the url but I am curious as an intellectual exercise.

jakob wrote #318877:

And if you want to also show the click count without exposing your site visitors to social media tracking systems, you can also use Shariff (Demo).

I will definitely check it out.

#526 2019-07-30 15:32:10

Destry
Website

Just making an appearance. 🤙

#527 2019-07-30 15:41:46

bici
Website Mastodon

Destry wrote #318881:

Just making an appearance. 🤙

we see youse! 👀

the word is that you were off riding the TdF. 🚵

…. texted postive

#528 2019-07-30 22:27:10

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

bici wrote #318882:

TdF. 🚵

completely OT – but that emoji is a complete failure. All I see is a coloured square, some blue, some brown. I had to look it up to get the meaning.

Board footer