Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#511 2019-05-02 17:45:29

Destry
Website

Re: Txp cookies, visitor logging, and GDPR stuff in general

A bit of news in this area…

Privacy International in the UK reported a number of ad-tech nasties to the data privacy authorities of three different nations. Today it was reported that authorities have taken up an inquiry with QuantCast, which is one I particularly hate because it’s everywhere I go to read something and can’t. I hope they burn.

Meanwhile, The Guardian reported profit today, so that’s nice.

Wordworkin’ for you.

#512 2019-05-21 10:06:18

Destry
Website

It’s one year this month that GDPR has been in effect. I think it was mentioned somewhere earlier in this thread, or in some resource linked, that the EU would probably be watching and warning abusers for the first year or so before getting tough. A ‘no more excuses after this’ grace period, if you will. And sure enough, I’m seeing more reports like this in the news, including that in my previous post here.

Happy to see it. ;)

Wordworkin’ for you.

#513 2019-05-21 15:13:36

bici
Website

Destry wrote #318145:

It’s one year this month that GDPR has been in effect. I think it was mentioned somewhere earlier in this thread, or in some resource linked, that the EU would probably be watching and warning abusers for the first year or so before getting tough. A ‘no more excuses after this’ grace period, if you will. And sure enough, I’m seeing more reports like this in the news, including that in my previous post here.

Happy to see it. ;)

Hope for the future

…. texted postive

#514 2019-05-23 12:13:35

michaelkpate
Website

Big fines and sweeping enforcement actions have been largely absent, as under-resourced European regulators struggle to define their mission — and take time to build investigations that will likely end up in court. – How Silicon Valley gamed Europe’s privacy rules

It could yet work out but so far GDPR has mainly made a whole lot of lawyers and lobbyists a great deal of money and a whole lot of regular people tired of clicking on popups.

#515 2019-05-23 12:21:33

colak
Admin
Website

michaelkpate wrote #318180:

It could yet work out but so far GDPR has mainly made a whole lot of lawyers and lobbyists a great deal of money and a whole lot of regular people tired of clicking on popups.

If I may make a minor but important correction Michael: “on pointless popups as the cookies have already been served.”

Yiannis
——————————
neme.org | hblack.net | LABS | State Machines | Respbublika! | NeMe @ github

#516 2019-05-23 14:13:51

michaelkpate
Website

colak wrote #318181:

If I may make a minor but important correction Michael: “on pointless popups as the cookies have already been served.”

The introduction of GDPR has led to a disparity in how websites inform users about cookies. However, early analysis shows it has reduced the amount of cookies used on leading websites. “There’s a clear decline in the number of third-party cookies per page, looking across news sites in Europe,” says Rasmus Kleis Nielsen director of research at the University of Oxford’s Reuters Institute for the Study of Journalism. “We saw a 22 per cent drop per page.” – The tyranny of GDPR popups and the websites failing to adapt

My method for when I don’t want to be tracked (which is rare, because I generally do not care) is to use multiple browsers.

#517 2019-05-26 02:15:29

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

One year of GDPR

Nick Heer commenting on a Twitter response to a Politico article – “A Year After GDPR, Google and Facebook Are Less Impacted Than Smaller Companies”.

This isn’t the fault of GDPR rules, but the way that they have been manipulated by tech companies wary of other governments mandating opt-in consent. By that metric, then, GDPR has been quite effective: the idea that it could be a worldwide model scares the shit out of big industry players, and they’re doing everything they can to combat opt-in requirements.

(my emphasis)

#518 2019-05-26 20:34:17

michaelkpate
Website

I am reminded of the Detroit Pacers, a very successful NBA team back in the late 1980’s. They were considered masters of defensive play. Their secret: They would commit fouls on nearly every play. Knowing that the referees simply wouldn’t call all of them.

Google and Facebook get slapped with massive fines. Or at least massive from a PR point of view. 50 Million Euro sounds like a lot to the average taxpayer or government regulator but still well within their ability to pay without severely damaging their quarterly profit.

They pay the fine – after contesting them long enough to make it look good. Then they move on. Secure in the knowledge that a similar fine will crush their smaller competitors.

#519 2019-06-01 15:39:28

JimJoe
Website

Yeah, a fine like that, more likely pocket change for them. Could indeed harm or shut down a small company.

#520 2019-07-29 16:32:39

michaelkpate
Website

Europe’s top court has made a ruling that could affect scores of websites that embed the Facebook ‘Like’ button and receive visitors from the region. The ruling by the Court of Justice of the EU states such sites are jointly responsible for the initial data processing — and must either obtain informed consent from site visitors prior to data being transferred to Facebook, or be able to demonstrate a legitimate interest legal basis for processing this data. – Europe’s top court sharpens guidance for sites using leaky social plug-ins

So until someone says yes to the popup no like/share buttons can appear. I’ll have to think about how to implement this. You can’t just hide them with Javascript.

Board footer