You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#505 2019-04-14 09:41:49

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Txp cookies, visitor logging, and GDPR stuff in general

In reply to colak #317627:

[…] the US gov wants the creation of privileged access

hmm, they seem to be a tad slow in officially requesting that.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#506 2019-04-14 18:49:20

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

At this point, the US Government has no more say than anyone else.

On Saturday, the US government handed the last vestiges of control to the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers, or ICANN, an independent organization whose members include myriad governments and corporations as well as individual Internet users. The nearly-20-year-old ICANN was already overseeing the distribution of Internet addresses, and now it officially owns the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority, or IANA, the database that stores all Internet domain names. IANA is what ensures you see the WIRED website when you type “stag-komodo.wired.com” into your browser. – The Internet Finally Belongs to Everyone, October 2016

And that includes ICANN.

But the passing of Europe’s GDPR, which allows European citizens to sue organizations that don’t minimize their gathering of personal data or allow people to control how that data is used, turned that situation on its head. Faced with potentially millions of dollars in fines, many internet domain outfits simply refused to follow ICANN’s contract, arguing that some of its requirements are illegal. – Internet overseer ICANN loses a THIRD time in Whois GDPR legal war

ICANN can do what it wants and the Registrars can do what they want. It reminds me of the old Escape Club Song:

Dance to the beat that we love best
Heading for the nineties
Living in the wild wild west
The wild wild west
The wild wild west

#507 2019-04-17 06:06:29

bici
Website Mastodon

what will this mean to us?

Let’s Encrypt to Transition to ISRG Root

…. texted postive

#508 2019-04-17 07:26:56

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

bici wrote #317659:

what will this mean to us?

Let’s Encrypt to Transition to ISRG Root

I don’t think you ’ll need to worry much, unless you or your visitors use an old OS / browser combo (IE 6 – win XP ? :-) ). The page you link to has a fairly decent explanation. Maybe people using Mac 10.8 ~10.11 may need to worry a little, although I think the certificate store still updates even after Apple has dropped support for that particular OS – and that affects only Safar, other browser need to stay up to date..

For those worried, Bici’s link without the Twitter tracking code: Let’s Encrypt to Transition to ISRG Root.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#509 2019-04-17 10:55:53

Destry
Website

phiw13 wrote #317660:

Bici’s link without the Twitter tracking code . . .

Bici, Bici… Have we taught you nothing about the rebellion. ;)

That is a very useful link, in any case. Seems to me that these upgrade cycles that CAs have to go through are good for making people upgrade their OSs and browsers, and if they don’t, too bad for them.

#510 2019-04-17 16:12:01

Destry
Website

#511 2019-05-02 17:45:29

Destry
Website

A bit of news in this area…

Privacy International in the UK reported a number of ad-tech nasties to the data privacy authorities of three different nations. Today it was reported that authorities have taken up an inquiry with QuantCast, which is one I particularly hate because it’s everywhere I go to read something and can’t. I hope they burn.

Meanwhile, The Guardian reported profit today, so that’s nice.

#512 2019-05-21 10:06:18

Destry
Website

It’s one year this month that GDPR has been in effect. I think it was mentioned somewhere earlier in this thread, or in some resource linked, that the EU would probably be watching and warning abusers for the first year or so before getting tough. A ‘no more excuses after this’ grace period, if you will. And sure enough, I’m seeing more reports like this in the news, including that in my previous post here.

Happy to see it. ;)

#513 2019-05-21 15:13:36

bici
Website Mastodon

Destry wrote #318145:

It’s one year this month that GDPR has been in effect. I think it was mentioned somewhere earlier in this thread, or in some resource linked, that the EU would probably be watching and warning abusers for the first year or so before getting tough. A ‘no more excuses after this’ grace period, if you will. And sure enough, I’m seeing more reports like this in the news, including that in my previous post here.

Happy to see it. ;)

Hope for the future

…. texted postive

#514 2019-05-23 12:13:35

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

Big fines and sweeping enforcement actions have been largely absent, as under-resourced European regulators struggle to define their mission — and take time to build investigations that will likely end up in court. – How Silicon Valley gamed Europe’s privacy rules

It could yet work out but so far GDPR has mainly made a whole lot of lawyers and lobbyists a great deal of money and a whole lot of regular people tired of clicking on popups.

#515 2019-05-23 12:21:33

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

michaelkpate wrote #318180:

It could yet work out but so far GDPR has mainly made a whole lot of lawyers and lobbyists a great deal of money and a whole lot of regular people tired of clicking on popups.

If I may make a minor but important correction Michael: “on pointless popups as the cookies have already been served.”

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#516 2019-05-23 14:13:51

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

colak wrote #318181:

If I may make a minor but important correction Michael: “on pointless popups as the cookies have already been served.”

The introduction of GDPR has led to a disparity in how websites inform users about cookies. However, early analysis shows it has reduced the amount of cookies used on leading websites. “There’s a clear decline in the number of third-party cookies per page, looking across news sites in Europe,” says Rasmus Kleis Nielsen director of research at the University of Oxford’s Reuters Institute for the Study of Journalism. “We saw a 22 per cent drop per page.” – The tyranny of GDPR popups and the websites failing to adapt

My method for when I don’t want to be tracked (which is rare, because I generally do not care) is to use multiple browsers.

Board footer