Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2019-04-24 00:16:02

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

Re: Facebook experiences

Here in the US we are having Measles outbreaks – in New York and Los Angeles.

I got vaccinated against Measles right around 50 years ago.

#14 2019-04-24 12:36:05

zero
Website

I mentioned vaccines, smart meters and 5G as examples of how corporations are imposing their agendas onto us, and how they are manipulating Farcebook and using AI to get their message seen and to limit our message and information. The InPower Movement I mentioned have a method to do something about this – imho an excellent method – and the Notice of Liability method can be applied to many issues, not just the ones I mentioned. I hope people will explore that method and we don’t get side-tracked into opinions, of which I have strong ones formed from personal experience but which will no doubt differ, sometimes radically, from yours and your perspective.

BTW: notifications were working until I replied to one earlier and are now not working.

Last edited by zero (2019-04-24 12:37:37)

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#15 2019-04-24 21:05:04

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

Facebook has managed to hold on to its 66 percent daily to monthly user ratio, showing people aren’t necessarily using it less despite all the backlash. But Facebook failed to grow past its 186 million daily user count in the US & Canada where it got stuck last quarter, but at least it added 4 million in its lucrative Europe market, plus it had atypically large gains in Asia-Pacific and the Rest Of World regions. As for monetization, Facebook made modest gains in average revenue per user across markets compared to Q3 2018 (excluding the holiday-laden Q4). Europe did especially well, growing ARPU 8.2 percent. – Facebook reserves $3B for FTC fine, but keeps growing with 2.38B users in Q1

#16 2019-04-24 22:04:32

zero
Website

We are focused on building out our privacy-focused vision for the future of social networking, and working collaboratively to address important issues around the internet

Same news as yours Michael, slightly different slant. 3Bn will be used as a marketing exercise, imho, to rewrite what privacy means and use AI to generate agreement by the FB masses or something like that. They are so cocky though, and I hope that proves to be their undoing.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#17 2019-05-01 13:01:15

zero
Website

Facebook redesign: what’s changing and when

This summary of Suckerblurb’s latest manipulations show he is using privacy as a way to exert even more control over users.

“More significantly, the revamp will see users encouraged to interact and share content with private groups, rather than posting publicly on the site’s News Feed.” Sounds like a very handy way to provide advertisers with more targeted leads.

“Facebook will also recommend groups that are better targeted to the user – so someone who follows left-wing accounts, say, will not be shown right-wing pages.” Again, removing a bit more choice and control from the user, who before long won’t be able to find what they are looking for. “You don’t need to do anything, we’ll do it all for you” type of thing. Windows OS, car servicing, even house building have become far removed from DIY maintenance.

“In another major shift, the platform will help users find nearby events…”

They were already doing these things last year. It just sounds like a statement to keep the press happy and make FB appear like it is responding to public concerns in a positive way. The Future Is Private sounds ominously like Divide And Conquer to me.

I’m sorry to add this gloom to your day. I often say that if you look for the negative you will find it and if you look for the positive in anything you will always find it too. So I should really give the sucker a chance to show he is sincerely wanting to connect people and improve our world. There’s certainly the potential there to do so.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#18 2019-05-02 11:14:53

Destry
Website

The Nuclear Option for Blocking Facebook and Google

In drastic times we must take drastic measures.

#19 2019-05-15 07:12:10

Destry
Website

Another reason why you don’t use FB anything.

/* suddenly in mood to try the nuclear option again */

#20 2019-05-19 17:25:46

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#21 2019-05-19 20:04:26

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

colak wrote #318121:

Possibly of interest: Can “Indie” Social Media Save Us?

Which has kind of come up on the related decentralized data movement and the decentralized software alternatives threads.

Unfortunately, Twitter has become the place where media types go to stroke their ego and everyone and their grandmother is on Facebook. Which has made it very difficult for any other platform to get traction.

#22 2019-05-20 17:14:38

zero
Website

colak wrote #318121:

Possibly of interest: Can “Indie” Social Media Save Us?

Cal’s article is interesting reading. I like how he says “sites like Facebook and Instagram encourage conformism because it makes your data easier to process and monetize. This creates the exhausting sense that you’re a worker in a data factory rather than a three-dimensional individual trying to express yourself and connect with other real people in an organic way online.”

I was certainly made to feel like that on FB (I’ve never tried Instagram).

He also doesn’t see alternative social media like Mastodon ever becoming huge despite obvious benefits. “Strip away (social media’s) most manipulative elements, though, and we may find that it’s less rewarding than it seems.” (My emphasis) I go on a few newspaper sites and comment and the only manipulation is by other commenters who hound, abuse and brow-beat opposing commenters. Or often just ignore them. I get some self-satisfaction from having my say but have learned to never expect any rewarding feedback or supportive comments from anyone. It certainly seems the case that only comments that are very status quo get lots of agreement. Status quo, as it is appearing to me currently, means right-wing, xenophobic and racist — reflecting the fact that newspapers are themselves right-wing, xenophobic and racist. I’m surprised there have been no prosecutions – the commenters can surely be traced if the police wanted to.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#23 2019-05-20 18:04:26

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

zero wrote #318134:

Status quo, as it is appearing to me currently, means right-wing, xenophobic and racist — reflecting the fact that newspapers are themselves right-wing, xenophobic and racist. I’m surprised there have been no prosecutions – the commenters can surely be traced if the police wanted to.

I so much agree with you. The sad thing is that this phenomenon no longer exists in a handful of isolated countries. It is-in a very aggressive and scary way-going global.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#24 2019-05-20 20:33:46

jakob
Admin
Website

While I see the same things you see, and find it equally disquieting, I still wonder how indicative of ‘society in general‘ those threads are, for a number of reasons:

• The people who tend to take part are usually those strongly for or strongly against or generally ‘irate’ for want of a better word. Balanced or personal commentary is rare.
  • Social media has made it easier for people to vent their frustrations freely and in all directions without there being any balancing force to temper their behaviour as there would be in real-life interactions – be it peer context, the law or just interpersonal tact and respect. I’m not sure all those people would behave as badly in real life as they do online. However, I do think the ability to ‘behave badly’ online (and have got away with it) also reduces the barrier people intuitively feel in real-life interactions.
  • A significant proportion of normal people don’t take part in those online ‘discussions’, and it would be too simplistic to label them all as apathetic. But those people do take part in society and they do not just swim with the flow of those of loud temperament.

I won’t pretend it’s not alarming, but I don’t think it is particularly isolated: much of it is human nature, albeit unpleasant. People talk about other people behind their backs, but get on with them in actual interactions, and people carp on about their employer in the pub, but do find a way to do their work in real life. It might be hypocritical, but it’s human.

What worries me more is the way social media and news reporting makes isolated incidences snowball into full-scale social tendencies, and through their cumulative effect cause a shift in how people perceive one another. Our actual dealings with one another are, for the most part I would venture, not as fraught or tense as they are made out to be in the media or in social media.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

Board footer