Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#37 2019-01-15 05:14:34

bici
Website Mastodon

Re: WebFaction joins GoDaddy

bici wrote #315758:

you raise a good point! I too have a couple of users who would require email migration.
something to think about.

any updates on how to migrate emails?

…. texted postive

#38 2019-01-15 09:45:43

jakob
Admin
Website

bici wrote #316127:

Linking an existing or new account will help us migrate your products to manage as WebFaction is deprecated. Not linking any account means you will not be able to sign in to GoDaddy to manage products once WebFaction is gone.

Well, that is a truly underhand way of dealing with it. Just despicable.

bici wrote #316128:

any updates on how to migrate emails?

I’d be interested to know if other people have any good and reliable tips. If you don’t have much to migrate, simply set up both the new and old accounts in an email client of your choosing and then drag and drop the emails and folders between them.
That’s no problem at all for a personal account but not so helpful if, like me, you have 20+ individual people with varying levels of IT knowledge to talk it through with – or to do on their behalf (with their permission) on your own computer.

From a brief bit of research, there are a number of online services like shuttlecloud.com, yippiemove.com and migrationwiz (www.bittitan.com/migrationwiz) – what names ? – that clock in at about 10-15$ per account and then a number of IMAP sync tools, often for the command line like Imapsync, imapfw and isync.

What’s also worth researching is if your replacement service has a sync or import tool. I know that “all-inkl” have an import tool in the webmail interface. From what I can see in the “Infomaniak” FAQs, they also have a sync tool. I can’t say how well the latter works, especially with complex email setups (multiple folder depths are sometimes a problem if the new provider doesn’t support that). So check with your potential new web/email host as that could make life a lot easier when migrating a lot of emails…

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#39 2019-01-15 12:28:46

Destry
Website

colak wrote #315998:

Does anybody have any experiance with www.a2hosting.com/?

No. But I do know I’m not giving any US tech company my money anymore, especially as I don’t live there.

jakob wrote #316106:

Jean-Pol pointed to this French offering O2Switch for a start. And the lower “web-mail” tier of the Swiss(-French) Infomaniak that Jean-Pol also mentioned looks (from appearances) affordable, comparable and hosted in Europe.

I had forgotten about o2, I’ll give that a closer look. Infomaniak looks good as well. I like the idea of Swiss, but France is in the Union. ;)

And there’s OVH, which I had also forgotten about.

#40 2019-01-15 13:32:11

Destry
Website

Well, OVH isn’t doing anything for me. I don’t like the way they line-item everything. Seems like an old/outdated way of offering hosting services anymore.

Infomaniak looks good, and the Web+Mail at 7€/month isn’t bad. Everything there I would ever need, I think.

o2Switch looks more economical either way you slice it, though I can’t quite tell what’s going on there. They seem to have a shared hosting (hébergement mutualisé) offer — ‘really unlimited’, as they note in red — for a single annual fee of 72€. I can even pay by direct bank transfer because I’m in France. But then they advertise this ‘unique’ offer for 5€/month, but I can’t tell why/how that’s different; there’s no elaboration there that I’m picking up on. I guess I’ll drop ‘em a line with my needs and see what they say.

#41 2019-01-15 16:18:51

bici
Website Mastodon

from Larry via twitter
“I just learned that my current host, WebFaction, is to be bought up by GoDaddy. I guess I’ll have to move… yet again: TxD—>Joyent—>TxD2—>Kaizen Garden—>WebFaction—>??? ;-( 99% likely that ??? will be Pair Networks. Already some stuff there.”

same boat for me…

…. texted postive

#42 2019-01-15 19:31:12

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

bici wrote #316141:

from Larry via twitter
“I just learned that my current host, WebFaction, is to be bought up by GoDaddy. I guess I’ll have to move… yet again: TxD—>Joyent—>TxD2—>Kaizen Garden—>WebFaction—>??? ;-(
99% likely that ??? will be Pair Networks. Already some stuff there.”

same boat for me…

+1, although I’m not sure if Pair would be a good choice as it says very little about what each package offers.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#43 2019-01-15 20:19:38

bici
Website Mastodon

colak wrote #316143:

+1, although I’m not sure if Pair would be a good choice as it says very little about what each package offers.

that is what i am trying to figure out as well. it does have a free 1 click ssl certificate.
And
this review is very positive

any concerns that we should be aware of?

…. texted postive

#44 2019-01-16 06:16:50

colak
Admin

bici wrote #316144:

any concerns that we should be aware of?

It says nothing re subdomains, how many domains, php version(s), mysql versions, ssl, sftp, etc.

Yiannis
——————————

#45 2019-01-16 09:57:40

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

I say this as someone who rolls my own hosting for my own projects, and recommends proper hosting companies for my clients: look at Hetzner and see if they’re right for you. I have numerous clients hosted with them, and they’re all happy with Hetzner.

#46 2019-01-16 15:11:36

colak
Admin

gaekwad wrote #316148:

I say this as someone who rolls my own hosting for my own projects, and recommends proper hosting companies for my clients: look at Hetzner and see if they’re right for you. I have numerous clients hosted with them, and they’re all happy with Hetzner.

It’s very expensive for those needing an SSH which in my view, provides, the easiest and most full-proof way to back-up and/or upload a largish db which in my case, it exceeds 79Mbs.

Yiannis
——————————

#47 2019-01-16 15:17:57

bici
Website Mastodon

colak wrote #316146:

It says nothing re subdomains, how many domains, php version(s), mysql versions, ssl, sftp, etc.

Re Pair Networks… Support writes:
Shared plans allow unlimited domains and subdomains. The current default
PHP version is 7.2, but 7.1 and 5.6 are still supported as well. MySQL is
version 5.7 and 5.6. All accounts are SSL enabled. Both SFTP and FTPS are
supported, as well as SSH. What other features are you interested in?

…. texted postive

#48 2019-01-16 16:03:47

bici
Website Mastodon

just heard from another fellow webfaction expat. they say PairNetworks has all the bell sand whistles that i would be interested in. more or less what webfaction has.

…. texted postive

Board footer