Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#31 2019-01-08 09:36:00

colak
Admin
Website

Re: WebFaction joins GoDaddy

Does anybody have any experiance with www.a2hosting.com/?

Yiannis
——————————
neme.org | hblack.net | LABS | State Machines | Respbublika! | NeMe @ github

#32 2019-01-08 11:41:45

jakob
Admin
Website

… to use alongside your existing WebFaction services, which you can still manage through your control panel as normal.

Agree. For the moment, it looks like they’re adding – enforcing? – a bridge to the GoDaddy service palette to webfaction, so you get a GoDaddy account set up for you (whether you want it or not?) I’ve not done that yet. But again, their handling of things leaves a little to be desired … I’d love to know: do you have to sign up for a GoDaddy account? Does that make you a GoDaddy customer? Will your contract then be with them? Do you have to accept their privacy/GDPR policy, and if so how does it differ from Webfaction’s? Is this perhaps the first step of putting you into GoDaddy’s hosting renewal tunnel?

If I have to leave WebFaction, my choice will most likely be Infomaniak Cloud Server…

I’d be interested to know why you’d choose the cloud server plan over the web+email plan, which is more similar to webfaction’s cost tier. Maybe you have specific requirements or demands?

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#33 2019-01-14 06:46:17

Destry
Website

GoDaddy is now injecting tracking javascript in all websites at their US datacenters. You must opt out through the GoDaddy console, as discovered

If GDPR has any weight at all (and I’ve yet to see any real proof of it) it will keep this off European accounts. But I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re leading up to forcing use of GD console in Europe too, and then sneak in shite like this.

I still need to find a new European host.

The text persuades, the *notes prove。

#34 2019-01-14 09:44:14

jakob
Admin
Website

I shall be watching closely before adding any more credit to Webfaction. There’s lots of uncorroborated information flying around on the community forum there but also no clear information at all from the provider or the new owners. Really badly handled PR-wise.

While Webfaction is flexible and its panel is refreshingly clear, it is a little high-powered for typical Textpattern use and I suspect most of us here on Webfaction don’t use the other languages that Webfaction makes possible. That flexibility also makes some of the handling more convoluted than other hosts. Frustratingly, it lacks a few end-user related things (like email-user-settable autoresponder via webmail) that mean I have to do admin duties that really my client (with 20+ different email addresses) would rather do themselves.

I still need to find a new European host.

Well, Jean-Pol pointed to this French offering O2Switch for a start. And the lower “web-mail” tier of the Swiss(-French) Infomaniak that Jean-Pol also mentioned looks (from appearances) affordable, comparable and hosted in Europe.

Otherwise I can vouch for my local German host all-inkl, which is no-frills but has been completely reliable for some 15 years now. Green powered servers in Germany with no world-domination aspirations, just good service. Their custom control panel works well but is certainly no beauty (I have a custom User CSS stylesheet that improves on it), and is available in English, Webmail too, but the rest of the support (always excellent, no long telephone waiting times) is, of course, mostly in German. Let’s Encrypt is one-click, good space and traffic, fine-grain spam filtering of email possible, and SSH on the 10€ tier. It’s perhaps less suitable for server-based build pipelines based on composer or node.js, but some people have reported success in installing those too. All in all, still my favourite.

#35 2019-01-15 04:51:06

bici
Website

yikes!! it’s worse than i thought … the end is nigh!
https://www.webfaction.com

!https://www.bopjet.com/bopimages/webFacGodad.png!

Last edited by bici (2019-01-15 04:51:34)

…. texted postive

#36 2019-01-15 04:54:00

bici
Website

Do you have a GoDaddy account?
Linking an existing or new account will help us migrate your products to manage as WebFaction is deprecated. Not linking any account means you will not be able to sign in to GoDaddy to manage products once WebFaction is gone.

gun held to our heads!

…. texted postive

#37 2019-01-15 05:14:34

bici
Website

bici wrote #315758:

you raise a good point! I too have a couple of users who would require email migration.
something to think about.

any updates on how to migrate emails?

…. texted postive

#38 2019-01-15 09:45:43

jakob
Admin
Website

bici wrote #316127:

Linking an existing or new account will help us migrate your products to manage as WebFaction is deprecated. Not linking any account means you will not be able to sign in to GoDaddy to manage products once WebFaction is gone.

Well, that is a truly underhand way of dealing with it. Just despicable.

bici wrote #316128:

any updates on how to migrate emails?

I’d be interested to know if other people have any good and reliable tips. If you don’t have much to migrate, simply set up both the new and old accounts in an email client of your choosing and then drag and drop the emails and folders between them.
That’s no problem at all for a personal account but not so helpful if, like me, you have 20+ individual people with varying levels of IT knowledge to talk it through with – or to do on their behalf (with their permission) on your own computer.

From a brief bit of research, there are a number of online services like shuttlecloud.com, yippiemove.com and migrationwiz (www.bittitan.com/migrationwiz) – what names ? – that clock in at about 10-15$ per account and then a number of IMAP sync tools, often for the command line like Imapsync, imapfw and isync.

What’s also worth researching is if your replacement service has a sync or import tool. I know that “all-inkl” have an import tool in the webmail interface. From what I can see in the “Infomaniak” FAQs, they also have a sync tool. I can’t say how well the latter works, especially with complex email setups (multiple folder depths are sometimes a problem if the new provider doesn’t support that). So check with your potential new web/email host as that could make life a lot easier when migrating a lot of emails…

#39 2019-01-15 12:28:46

Destry
Website

colak wrote #315998:

Does anybody have any experiance with www.a2hosting.com/?

No. But I do know I’m not giving any US tech company my money anymore, especially as I don’t live there.

jakob wrote #316106:

Jean-Pol pointed to this French offering O2Switch for a start. And the lower “web-mail” tier of the Swiss(-French) Infomaniak that Jean-Pol also mentioned looks (from appearances) affordable, comparable and hosted in Europe.

I had forgotten about o2, I’ll give that a closer look. Infomaniak looks good as well. I like the idea of Swiss, but France is in the Union. ;)

And there’s OVH, which I had also forgotten about.

#40 2019-01-15 13:32:11

Destry
Website

Well, OVH isn’t doing anything for me. I don’t like the way they line-item everything. Seems like an old/outdated way of offering hosting services anymore.

Infomaniak looks good, and the Web+Mail at 7€/month isn’t bad. Everything there I would ever need, I think.

o2Switch looks more economical either way you slice it, though I can’t quite tell what’s going on there. They seem to have a shared hosting (hébergement mutualisé) offer — ‘really unlimited’, as they note in red — for a single annual fee of 72€. I can even pay by direct bank transfer because I’m in France. But then they advertise this ‘unique’ offer for 5€/month, but I can’t tell why/how that’s different; there’s no elaboration there that I’m picking up on. I guess I’ll drop ‘em a line with my needs and see what they say.

Board footer