Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2018-12-28 11:14:04

jakob
Admin
Website

Re: WebFaction joins GoDaddy

jstubbs wrote #315793:

What is the overarching rationale for moving from WebFaction?

I don’t think we know one yet until we see what GoDaddy plans to do with Webfaction. Their glitch with the account migration screen may just have been for the billing side of things and the webfaction service may be maintained as-is, in which case moving may be unnecessary. If they were to migrate webfaction’s wide-ranging service to different service plans in Godaddy’s existing tiers of services, then one would need to see how they compare… and how smooth the transfer might be.

I’ve no prior experience of GoDaddy but plenty of people seem less than enamoured with them.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#26 2018-12-28 18:16:34

bici
Website Mastodon

jakob wrote #315795:

I’ve no prior experience of GoDaddy but plenty of people seem less than enamoured with them.

i have had some limited experience with them as i was helping my son who had used them to register a domain. It took some doing to get him out from their clasps. I also helped a friend with his domain on GoDaddy. Not pleasant. Not something i would want. Their UI is Butt Ugly. And i am being kind.

I’ll be keeping my eye on the webfaction situation. But at this stage, in the new year, I will be moving at least one site to a new service so that i can get experience with the other service. Of course one major challenge is how to get archived emails transferred to a new hosting provider. P.S. Seems Webfaction has not been upfront with developments re Godaddy with current customers.

…. texted postive

#27 2019-01-08 01:04:20

bici
Website Mastodon

Webfaction officially announced the GoDaddy acquisition.

Dear WebFaction customer,
As you know, WebFaction has joined forces with GoDaddy to bring you a
hosting company with even more brawn.

…. texted postive

#28 2019-01-08 06:32:35

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

On the good side

… to use alongside your existing WebFaction services, which you can still manage through your control panel as normal.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#29 2019-01-08 06:51:29

bici
Website Mastodon

yes that was a relief to read.

…. texted postive

#30 2019-01-08 09:15:48

jpdupont

If I have to leave WebFaction, my choice will most likely be Infomaniak Cloud Server

I test it free for a month and I find the essential elements of WebFaction.
The interface is nice, centered on the essential (not cPanel). As a customer, I get a discount. For one year: € 239 instead of € 299. It’s more expensive than my $ 200 at Webfaction, for 2 hostings.

#31 2019-01-08 09:36:00

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Does anybody have any experiance with www.a2hosting.com/?

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#32 2019-01-08 11:41:45

jakob
Admin
Website

… to use alongside your existing WebFaction services, which you can still manage through your control panel as normal.

Agree. For the moment, it looks like they’re adding – enforcing? – a bridge to the GoDaddy service palette to webfaction, so you get a GoDaddy account set up for you (whether you want it or not?) I’ve not done that yet. But again, their handling of things leaves a little to be desired … I’d love to know: do you have to sign up for a GoDaddy account? Does that make you a GoDaddy customer? Will your contract then be with them? Do you have to accept their privacy/GDPR policy, and if so how does it differ from Webfaction’s? Is this perhaps the first step of putting you into GoDaddy’s hosting renewal tunnel?

If I have to leave WebFaction, my choice will most likely be Infomaniak Cloud Server…

I’d be interested to know why you’d choose the cloud server plan over the web+email plan, which is more similar to webfaction’s cost tier. Maybe you have specific requirements or demands?

#33 2019-01-14 06:46:17

Destry
Website

GoDaddy is now injecting tracking javascript in all websites at their US datacenters. You must opt out through the GoDaddy console, as discovered

If GDPR has any weight at all (and I’ve yet to see any real proof of it) it will keep this off European accounts. But I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re leading up to forcing use of GD console in Europe too, and then sneak in shite like this.

I still need to find a new European host.

#34 2019-01-14 09:44:14

jakob
Admin
Website

I shall be watching closely before adding any more credit to Webfaction. There’s lots of uncorroborated information flying around on the community forum there but also no clear information at all from the provider or the new owners. Really badly handled PR-wise.

While Webfaction is flexible and its panel is refreshingly clear, it is a little high-powered for typical Textpattern use and I suspect most of us here on Webfaction don’t use the other languages that Webfaction makes possible. That flexibility also makes some of the handling more convoluted than other hosts. Frustratingly, it lacks a few end-user related things (like email-user-settable autoresponder via webmail) that mean I have to do admin duties that really my client (with 20+ different email addresses) would rather do themselves.

I still need to find a new European host.

Well, Jean-Pol pointed to this French offering O2Switch for a start. And the lower “web-mail” tier of the Swiss(-French) Infomaniak that Jean-Pol also mentioned looks (from appearances) affordable, comparable and hosted in Europe.

Otherwise I can vouch for my local German host all-inkl, which is no-frills but has been completely reliable for some 15 years now. Green powered servers in Germany with no world-domination aspirations, just good service. Their custom control panel works well but is certainly no beauty (I have a custom User CSS stylesheet that improves on it), and is available in English, Webmail too, but the rest of the support (always excellent, no long telephone waiting times) is, of course, mostly in German. Let’s Encrypt is one-click, good space and traffic, fine-grain spam filtering of email possible, and SSH on the 10€ tier. It’s perhaps less suitable for server-based build pipelines based on composer or node.js, but some people have reported success in installing those too. All in all, still my favourite.

#35 2019-01-15 04:51:06

bici
Website Mastodon

yikes!! it’s worse than i thought … the end is nigh!
https://www.webfaction.com

Last edited by bici (2019-01-15 04:51:34)

…. texted postive

#36 2019-01-15 04:54:00

bici
Website Mastodon

Do you have a GoDaddy account?
Linking an existing or new account will help us migrate your products to manage as WebFaction is deprecated. Not linking any account means you will not be able to sign in to GoDaddy to manage products once WebFaction is gone.

gun held to our heads!

…. texted postive

Board footer