Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2018-08-17 19:33:11

Destry
Website

Re: I want to edit/delete my forum data

I agree with you, Colak. This is different software from a differen time, and designed for in-depth exchange instead of the link-bombing that microcopy 2.0 socmed is suited to. And this is about community in this case more than the individual. Definitely.

Alas, I knew mentioning GDPR was going to sidetrack focus a bit, but that’s only part of it, and not the part this community is really concerned with, I realize. The other part, the more important part, is the old chestnut of separating the useful content from the obsolete ROT (redendant, outdated, trivial). That’s got nothing to do with GDPR, it’s just smart thinking about content.

In any case, I can see where this is headed, collectively, which is nowhere, and that’s fine. It’s certainly easier.

In conclusion:

1. A person can ask to have a username changed and hope it will be.
  2. A person can manually delete/edit their posts, and potential casualties may happen. They should just be quiet about it. ;)

I still think it would be useful/nice for the historians and curators in the house to have a dump of their own posts, so they could process their own wheat from the chaffe easier. That wouldn’t interfere with the business as usual of things, it would just be a new bonus feature.

#14 2018-08-23 20:46:18

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Nick changes we will grant under any reasonable request. We’ve done it before when community members have requested to change their identity due to litigation, cyberstalking, etc. It’s a minor inconvenience if people read old posts that mention your old handle, but no biggie.

Deleting posts? Well, besides what colak says about the whole thread being nuked if you’re the topic opener, there are two other main issues:

1. The forum doesn’t have ‘[this post deleted]’ notification placeholders, so you’d get “holes” in the conversation if someone read it through, which could be mighty confusing unless someone has quoted you, which leads to…
  2. … when your post is deleted, what you said may live on if it’s been quoted in another post.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#15 2018-08-24 03:49:42

bici
Website Mastodon

Is it reasonable to ask who owns Forum posts?

…. texted postive

Board footer