Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2018-07-05 12:39:39

Destry
Website

Re: New EU (c) laws -on horizon- are here

That’s a good sign. It will be considerably harder for proponents of the directive in September. The momentum has turned.

#26 2018-07-05 13:03:46

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

I wouldn’t celebrate to quickly. I suspect it is mostly Google’s deep pockets that have defeated this. They would be liable for a huge amount of royalties under the proposal law – and music artists really do have a point about that. Of course some parts of the law are really shitty (art 11 and 13, …).

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#27 2018-07-05 13:58:14

Destry
Website

phiw13 wrote #312860:

I wouldn’t celebrate to quickly. I suspect it is mostly Google’s deep pockets that have defeated this.

Are you suggesting Gungle bought off the European Parliament? Scandalous. ;)

Yeah, I’d say it’s a skirmish, not a battle (sorry Colak). The war will always be ongoing. But I’d like to think that everyone contacting their MEP had something to do with this.

#28 2018-07-05 14:21:19

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Destry wrote #312862:

Are you suggesting Gungle bought off the European Parliament? Scandalous. ;)

Hmm, did I? That is usually more the way-of-working of the MilSec people. Google and Facebook & co work more through proxies. By coincidence, Yasha Levin posted an interesting piece at the Baffler: All EFF’d Up (long). Be careful about your allies :-).

Yeah, I’d say it’s a skirmish, not a battle (sorry Colak). The war will always be ongoing. But I’d like to think that everyone contacting their MEP had something to do with this.

Right, a skirmish in the battle was won today. But the battle, and the war is far from over. Contacting MEPs certainly contributed to that.

#29 2018-07-05 15:09:30

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

here’s my penny’s worth.

I agree that Gargle, Failbok etc might have been against the law. But let us not forget that so was EFF, wikimedia and many other more politically correct institutions. It is obvious that this law was mainly promoted by media moguls and is meant to boaster declining industries and declining financial models such as music sales (article 11). This law however will affect all of us… including textpattern (article 13).

The way I see it, if the moguls have any differences with Gargle or any other content distributor, let them fight it in court like so many kids who received fines for downloading copyrighted content. The laws regarding copyright are ample. In fact they are already too much IMHO.

We can not rely on algorithmic policing. People I know who teach AI tell me that AI can only be up to 92% accurate as anything over that would omit human circumstances. This means that for every one million people about 80,000 would be accused wrongly of copyright infringement. The law as it was proposed, was asking for filters which would presume your guilt NOT your innocence.

Yes, Googal and fakebook are not playing a fair game. Sue them directly. An activist in Austria is already suing fadebook.

To go against something and have allies whom we do not like, does not mean that you are on the wrong side, especially if you keep on reminding yourself, that your enemy’s enemies are not necessarily your friends.

>Edited to add that the above was some thoughts for Destry. Philippe, I’ll have to read your link later…

> Edit 2: I just read the article…. I’m not sure that I agree with it. I think that it actually confuses rights with rhetoric.

Last edited by colak (2018-07-05 15:36:14)

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#30 2018-07-06 13:51:41

JimJoe
Website

It has always been my concern that a law which ostensibly was to protect, doesn’t. This kick on the law is good.

#31 2018-07-30 04:43:46

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

#32 2018-07-30 05:09:07

colak
Admin

Establishing regulations to control the giants is one thing, passing a law which would affect all of us is another. I spoke with the Cypriot MPs before the vote. It seems that everybody from the left was against it and most from the right was for it. I’m so glad it did not pass.

Yiannis
——————————

#33 2018-07-30 12:26:46

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

phiw13 wrote #313166:

Google’s lobbying efforts documented: The Google Funded Astroturf Group that Hacked The EU Copyright Vote

I love that website. It reminds me of a Lars Ulrich rant over Napster from 2001.

#34 2018-08-24 07:25:52

colak
Admin

The new EU copyright law is up for voting again in September.

Here is the new proposed regulation and directive.

Yiannis
——————————

#35 2018-09-13 06:01:09

Destry
Website

It’s pretty clear which party is your real enemy.

Maybe I can’t be sharing pictures here now? (You won’t get a complaint from M’don or Reda, that I’m sure.)

Apparently there’s still one more vote in early 2019, or something, but short of a … I don’t know, something major … I doubt it will go down differently. As it stands, Articles 11 and 13 are in affect.

#36 2018-09-13 06:48:38

colak
Admin

This is disgusting!!!

Yiannis
——————————

Board footer