Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2018-06-19 15:03:46

JimJoe
Website

Re: New EU (c) laws -on horizon- are here

All of my sites contain maps, and verbiage about games. On my Traveller site, I have direct permission from the copyright holder for my site to exist. The problem is I might get dinged for my ad&d, tunnels and trolls, etc. sites. One of the originators of Wizards’ Realm, a small print game from Biloxi, Missisippi, knows about my site and has told me he likes it.

The web host is in the United States. So I may or may not be affected.

My big problem is people in the past have copied my now gone Drive-In Movie Theater site and pretended it was their data and information. I read it on their site, when I looked up filenames of photos and maps. So I took the site down. Cpanel still shows the same areas looking to get that info.

#14 2018-06-19 16:56:02

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Hi Jim,

Unless your site gets 1000s of visitors/day I don’t think any copyright holder will bother. The law however is not just for sites in the EU. Any citizen will be able to claim damages regardless of the site’s location and/or owner. Although the scope is different, the outreach will be very similar to the States based DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act). ie. Citizens/buisiness from wherever will be able to take anyone to court. In the case of DMCA, the cases are judged in the States, in the case of the new EU copyright law, the cases will be judged in an EU court.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#15 2018-06-20 02:10:15

JimJoe
Website

My sites are clearly fan sites. My understanding, I don’t play a lawer nor am I one, is as long as I give my maps, etc. away, most companies are okay with it.

I know a certain defunct game company used to do random cease and desist letters, but the company that took their IP over is okay with fan sites.

My Traveller site has a disclaimer, not infriging, required by the copyright holder. He supplied the text, and its on my site. His caveat is if he becomes dissatified with my site, I have 90 days to take it down. I’m on the official web forums, so contact would be easy, even if my email address changes. I even put my planets, sub-sectors, sectors, etc. over on the other side of the galaxy from Earth, to avoid the official Traveller universe. Some sites don’t do that, and its still okay.

#16 2018-06-20 12:32:23

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

In a key vote this morning the European Parliament’s legal affairs committee has backed the two most controversial elements of a digital copyright reform package — which critics warn could have a chilling effect on Internet norms like memes and also damage freedom of expression online. – Europe takes another step towards copyright pre-filters for user generated content

In semi-related news:

In a rare and extremely timely incidence of coincidental providence, one of the largest partners in the far-right block in the EU, France’s Front National, just had its YouTube channel “TVLibertés” deleted because Content ID claimed it contained copyright infringement, a claim disputed by FN leader Marine Le Pen, who called it “arbitrary, political, and unilateral.” – France’s Front National (who support the EU’s mandatory copyright filters) furious when Youtube’s copyright filters kill their channel

The thing is, this law punishes companies for leaving things up, not for taking things down. We can expect them to err on the side of caution every time.

Opponents of the proposal argue that if smaller platforms are also required to implement upload filtering, it’ll not only be a significant burden to them, but they’re likely to do a much worse job. Placing content-filtering obligations on platforms encourages them to block as much as possible, and it gives them little incentive to let innocent content through. FOSTA in the United States is a good example of how these incentives work. After the passage of the law, which was intended to combat sex trafficking on the internet, Cloudflare dropped Switter, a sex worker-friendly Mastodon instance. – New EU copyright filtering law threatens the internet as we knew it

#17 2018-06-20 13:42:32

colak
Admin

michaelkpate wrote #312641:

The thing is, this law punishes companies for leaving things up, not for taking things down. We can expect them to err on the side of caution every time.

Like with DMCA. I guess we deserve the society we are living in:(

Yiannis
——————————

#18 2018-06-20 14:27:15

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

For purposes of fairness, the counter-argument from Big Music:

This is a strong and unambiguous message sent by the European Parliament. It clarifies what the music sector has been saying for years: if you are in the business of distributing music or other creative works, you need a licence, clear and simple. It’s time for the digital market to catch up with progress. Today’s vote is a great rebuttal to the relentless scare-mongering and misleading statements made by astro-turf organisations working for some tech giants trying to preserve the status quo. Parliamentarians were able to keep a cool head. The EU has made a leap forward and it now has to convert a try. This is part of a wider effort to make online platforms more accountable, where the EU is leading the way. The eyes of the world are on Europe to set a new standard for creators online. This is about ensuring artists and fans can still enjoy the unique relationship that online platforms facilitate. – The Last Mile to bridge the Value Gap

I’ve had a YouTube Red/Google Play Music (now YouTube Premium) subscription for years so I pay my fair share every month. The music companies apparently still think we are all thieves.

#19 2018-06-20 15:08:49

JimJoe
Website

Like Net Neutrality, they may think we aren’t paying enough.

I know how to do dial-up, but will it be available ?

#20 2018-06-24 15:40:17

colak
Admin

Just a couple of legal points against this law

Yiannis
——————————

#21 2018-07-04 10:53:47

Destry
Website

Tomorrow is the vote, the latest text Of EU Copyright Directive was only recently released, and, according to TechDirt, It’s Even Worse Than Expected

/* puts devilish advocacy suit on */

So let me get this straight. This is all bad because:

1. You can’t use text preview for links
  2. You can’t publish any content you did not create
  3. Platform owners are responsible for what users publish on their platforms

Is that the brunt of it all?

Obviously being able to share the work of others is an important and powerful thing, and that might be what has people so up in arms here. I get that.

But if this law passes, and it probably will, is this really ‘the end of the internet’, as people keep writing?

I’m not in favour of the laws. I’m just trying to be clear about how bad they are and what I should expect to do at my own site now and in places like here and Mastodon.

#22 2018-07-04 16:33:24

colak
Admin

Also: image search will be outlawed.

Instead of this sh*t why don’t they make search engines ask sites to create a meta tag which allows text or image search. I know this could also be done with robots.txt but in this case it is used to block them as when the deny is not there, the search engines spider your site anyway. If the rules were reversed it would be much simpler for everyone.

In short only allow ‘indexing’ if meta-tags allow it. Simple, clean and efficient.

Yiannis
——————————

#23 2018-07-05 10:44:35

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

#24 2018-07-05 11:57:06

colak
Admin

Wonderful news!!!! I wish that I could just change this thread to [Solved] but although this battle was won, the war against our freedoms is not over.

Yiannis
——————————

Board footer