Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2018-06-26 07:36:11

Destry
Website

Re: Decentralized software alternatives

michaelkpate wrote #312692:

I get bypassing restrictions but I don’t agree denying them the right to benefit from their creation to make a point.

That reminds me of Forbes, or whatever, throwing a “You have ad-blocker installed … cry, cry…” in my face when I want to read the occasional interesting article they generally don’t publish, trying to guilt trip me into remaining in the exploitation engine.

Not all YT is equal. There are some good channels on YouTube (I watch a few), and there is a vast ocean of shit that should be thrown into the sun. People can easily cherry-pick and support the rare flower while drying up the weeds.

I have less-to-zero sympathy for YouTube publishers who do so for fame/fortune and sponsor money as opposed to just sharing what they know. And there’s a lot of weird stuff too (besides the usual Jackass attempts to shock, awe, and entertain with base humour) like parents forcing their kids to be YT stars and creating entire sitcoms and whatnot. It’s sick, actually. Not unlike selling your kids on the street. And that’s all motivated by an unhealthy desire for fame, money, and free products. It goes on and on. As far as I’m concerned, HookTube can bypass all the YT it can and the world is better off.

But I admit, as I write this, there’s a strange dichotomy here. If HookTubers are watching the child exploitation and Jackass stunts, then they’re no better than the producers of it. So there must be some kind of middle ground for this video production and support system. Still, if they are watching it on HookTube, it has the same effect, drying up the source of the insanity.

I’m no analyst, but from what little I observe across platforms, Vimeo is as close to the ideal situation as anything can be for the moment. It doesn’t have the consumer numbers YT does, and it’s still centralized, but, comparatively speaking, more of the content is higher quality when normalized across volume, and consumer interaction/conduct with it is more intelligent and civilized. I’m sure Vimeo channel owners do okay with their donation lines by catering to a more serious (albeit smaller) consumer base. YT is just casting a big net in the plastic-filled ocean and hoping something is snagged. Vimeo is tactical spearfishing.

But again, the commercial aspect of it all is sad. Remove the promise of fame and fortune from YT video production, and there would be a lot less of it, I’d hope. Production would likely get less glitzy and overproduced (i.e. done more cheaply) and become more academic and tutorial based (good people will always want to share knowledge), and that would be a good thing, IMO.

As I always say, rightfully, there are too many humans and not enough trees.

#26 2018-06-26 08:10:29

Destry
Website

michaelkpate wrote #312693:

It sounds like they are working on something similar to POSSE.

I think this is part of it here: Plume

All I can tell at the moment is by making it federated, you won’t have to have a a different account to participate in article discussion. Anyone on Mastodon, for example, could comment via their Masto account even if the blog article was published via a Plume instance, or whatever. This seems to be one of the big attractors for people, the integration of federated tools.

I know I would not use it simply because I tend to write longform, want to be comfortable with my tools and editing process, and have no desire to cater to comments. I recognize I’m not the target user in that case.

But I could be a commenter. ;)

#27 2018-06-26 12:07:04

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

I’m with Destry on this one.

YouPuke just works for profit not ethics

The nightmare videos of children’s YouTube and what’s wrong with the internet today:

>Edit Just noticed that the youpuke video is just a sound recording

Here it is again directly from TED

www.ted.com/talks/james_bridle_the_nightmare_videos_of_childrens_youtube_and_what_s_wrong_with_the_internet_today

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#28 2018-06-26 12:30:20

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

colak wrote #312714:

YouPuke just works for profit not ethics

Fortunately, there are plenty of alternatives these days:

Twitch – owned by Amazon

Mixer – owned by Microsoft

Facebook Watch – owned by Facebook

Instagram Television aka IGTV – Also owned by Facebook

#29 2018-06-26 13:27:45

colak
Admin

Hi Michael,

Indeed you are right. The establishment promotes monopolies.

Yiannis
——————————

#30 2018-07-01 17:09:15

Destry
Website

You guys are missing the point of this thread. :)

Silicone Valley promotes itself. And you can either be a complacent pawn in that game (like a lot of people who don’t know any better are, but not all of society, and hopefully less with time if enough informed people resist and keep spreading the message to help others become aware), or you can resist and be a part of the solution away from the scurge.

Oh, look…

Qwant, an alternative to Google search, is promoting PeerTube on it’s search page. And PeerTube is a federated alternative to YT, and what people just need to start using if they want to publish or consume video. Period.

Bravo Qwant! That’s how you do it.

Join the revolution. Don’t be part of the problem. :)

#31 2018-07-01 18:10:48

Destry
Website

It needs to be said, if you use social media at all, and only centralized social media like offered by the usual criminals, then you are only getting half of society’s message, the bad half, and enabling it.

At the very least, have an account in the federated side too and make an effort to use it, check in, observe, so you can keep abreast of the resistance side of social society too. (And appreciate the ?% ad-free experience.)

After you do that a while, and it won’t take long, you’ll see there’s a whole different online community that is waking up and making change. Instead of learning about developments second-hand, you can learn direct from the source as history happens.

With any luck you’ll be quitting those centralized exploitation platforms before you know it and be a real bandito!

#32 2018-07-01 18:18:14

colak
Admin

Hi Destry and Michael, I apologise for sometimes appearing very hard headed. It comes from reading far too many scary academic articles regarding the changes to our daily lives and the future of the net. I admittedly vent a lot of these frustrations in my on and off line conversations recently. It is never meant as a personal attack but as a possibly hopeless effort to distil my thoughts.

Thanks for Quant by the way, looks very fast and my queries return a lot of what I look for.

Can you recommend some YT instances?

Yiannis
——————————

#33 2018-07-01 21:21:33

Destry
Website

This is the running list of PeerTube instances

I haven’t sifted through them yet. I’ll have to leave that to you.

Just as a reminder/refresher about how federation works. It’s not so much about picking an instance for subject, because videos all federate anyway, that’s why you see the same videos across instances. The thing to consider when choosing are things like whether it’s open to new accounts, how many videos are already hosted (more means bigger server requirements), and in relation, how good the admin support seems.

And supporting good admins via Liberepay or Patreon, when admins make these available is not a bad thing. If you don’t want to support, then definitely spread your eggs around to different instances and accept the fact that a decentralized existance is one of never getting comfortable for too long on one server.

Obviously you have to explore a bit. But that’s the beauty of decentralization. You can spread yourself around. Find what you like; what works for you or what doesn’t.

Eventually you might have your own instance — the ideal goal — which you can open up to others, or a limited few, or just keep for yourself. It’s all good. The more instances serving the federverse, the better.

#34 2018-07-01 22:54:11

Destry
Website

colak wrote #312792:

I apologise for sometimes appearing very hard headed . . .

No apology necessary. Your frustration is valid. It’s good that scientists understand. People of all backgrounds in the fediverse understand too. Be happier knowing your not alone.

Don’t believe this cow shiza. That’s Silly Con Valley propaganda. Bob Mottram (one to follow in the fedi) says it best :

TL;DR Industry insiders aren’t going to save anyone from anything. Tweaking around with “screen time” or interface design or adding extra “street cred” from a younger generation doesn’t address any of the real problems with Sillicon Valley.

If any of these rich morons were actually sincere they would have to abandon their business models and start again with federated and distributed systems with no data concentration. But of course they’re not going to do that.

If change comes at all, it will come from outside SV, not within it, and it must come from people like us saying ‘I won’t use your shit anymore’, and helping others to see the light.

#35 2018-07-02 17:24:02

Destry
Website

This article, with its stupid title and windy delivery, is a little too glorifying of TBL, but it does finally say some useful things in the last paras about decentralization and drops important project names.

I’m skeptical TBL and his Solid standard are going to save the day. But it’s definitely eye-catching propaganda for the right (left) side; useful for putting the resistance word on the wind.

Why he’s not in Masto, though, instead of the very platforms he complains about, I don’t know. That’s the double-standard I see with a lot of people right now, what separates the real resistance from the corporate/money-minded. The web-2.0-as-usual crowd.

I also don’t like that mention of VC interest in decentralization, if I understood that correctly. But at least it suggests decentralization is becoming important enough to make the capitalist assholes wake up and pay attention.

The ‘War of the Web’ has begun! (I might write that article.)

#36 2018-07-02 23:47:11

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

Destry wrote #312812:

Why he’s not in Masto, though, instead of the very platforms he complains about, I don’t know.

He definitely does seem to be falling short of using only decentralized software.

“I dumped a little code I had for doing things with email messages,” Berners-Lee typed one afternoon this spring, as he posted some code in a chat room on Gitter, an open platform frequented by coders to collaborate on ideas.

Board footer