Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2018-04-18 15:24:42

Destry
Website

Re: Decentralized software alternatives

Well, it’s open source. Might take some time to refine, as those free things go.

What do you mean by “hotlink”?

#14 2018-04-18 15:51:34

Vienuolis
Website GitHub GitLab Twitter

Destry wrote #311192:

What do you mean by “hotlink”?

Link to the file — not to webpage with links, downloads, thumbnails, ads, etc.

Last edited by Vienuolis (2018-04-19 06:01:04)

#15 2018-04-28 19:44:24

Destry
Website

Matrix, ‘an open network for secure, decentralized communication’ and Riot, a comms app on par with Signal and Wire and which uses the Matrix network, are making a name for themselves. I see them mentioned routinely in Masto

And apparently

the Government of France has confirmed it is in the process of deploying a huge private federation of Matrix homeservers spanning the whole government, and developing a fork of Riot.im for use as their official secure communications client!

The French are somewhat leading the way in this decentralized adoption game. Go France! ;)

#16 2018-04-29 03:43:56

bici
Website Mastodon

Destry wrote #311504:

The French are somewhat leading the way in this decentralized adoption game. Go France! ;)

I agree. But I am too old to be interested in any longer using any sort of internet appy thingy, decentralized or otherwise… I am busy scaling down … now content to social interactions of meeting friends and people at my local coffee bar and having discussions over espressos with cognac, or Chardonnay and Taleggio.

Slowly getting Unplugged ….

They say everything can be replaced,
Yet every distance is not near.
So I remember every face
Of every man who put me here.
I see my light come shining
From the west onto the east.
Any day now, any day how,
I shall be released.

…. texted postive

#17 2018-05-08 08:14:27

Destry
Website

bici wrote #311506:

I am too old to be interested in any longer using any sort of internet appy thingy, decentralized or otherwise … I am busy scaling down … Slowly getting Unplugged …

You and me both.

But we use the forum. And technology itself isn’t going to disappear until the planet burns. Maybe by the time a fraction of humanity is living in martian Habitrail tubes, they will have learned open source was the way to go.

So I’ll keep listing these in one place as a kind of public service to make people aware. Perhaps we might remember to recommend one to other projects actively looking for alternatives to the exploitation system.

#18 2018-05-08 08:16:31

Destry
Website

Mattermost, a free and open alternative to Slack.

Mattermost vs Slack

#19 2018-06-10 09:45:34

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

There is an article in Wired on Minds. An open source alternative to FB which pays its users.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#20 2018-06-10 10:29:09

Destry
Website

Two alternatives for webmasters against Gargle’s shadow profiling.

Webform and LimeSurvey

#21 2018-06-12 06:42:31

Destry
Website

This Lollipop Cloud project sounds very cool. Rough starting docs

As described by the progenitor:

The ‘Lollipop Cloud’ is an attempt to lower the friction of self hosting. Preferably on Raspberry Pi’s, Orange Pi’s and other lean, small ARM mini-computer boards.

[It’s] born of a desire to self host when nomadic, facilitating sync when ‘in the jungle’ or just wanting to give ? to the various corporate entities who harvest your data.

[A] self-hosted cloud that’s rarely online (only to get updates really) as well as provide services . . . while ‘disconnected’.

A cloud in a very small box is the goal. A box the size of a credit card or as big as a rack mount server. YOU decide.

I’ve always wanted a reason to try something like Raspberry Pi, but I’ve never considered myself needing it or being geeky enough. But in my quest for digital independence, this is something I could take interest in trying.

I’d like to just get my Linux laptop first, lol, but maybe by that point this project will have matured a bit more and a dope on a rope like me can fumble through it.

#22 2018-06-25 15:23:08

Destry
Website

Thredded, a super clean forum system I was not aware of before, is not federated, so maybe not ‘decentralized’ by the standards of some people, but there’s hope in the federated camps the developers might integrate ActivityPub and make it ‘federatable’ ;)

And I’m not quite sure what HookTube is, exactly, whether it’s a federated system or not, but it’s rather cool nonetheless. If I get it right, it enables you to watch YouTube videos without giving YouTube any hits.

In any case, PeerTube, which is federated, is making headway by leaps and bounds.

Oh, and there’s a lot of talk in Masto lately of building a federated blogging system (the ‘Medium equivalent’ is what I heard). No links yet, but I’m sure one will surface by end of year. The dev community in the federated space is big and ambitious. It’s kind of fun to watch this stuff unfold in the dark streams of Mastoland. The dark armies amass to storm Silicone Gondor!

#23 2018-06-25 16:25:46

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

Destry wrote #312691:

And I’m not quite sure what HookTube is, exactly, whether it’s a federated system or not, but it’s rather cool nonetheless. If I get it right, it enables you to watch YouTube videos without giving YouTube any hits.

“Share YouTube videos without giving them views.”

I watch a lot of YouTube. I support a lot of creators through YouTube Red now Premium and Patreon. I get bypassing restrictions but I don’t agree denying them the right to benefit from their creation to make a point.

#24 2018-06-25 16:34:35

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

Destry wrote #312691:

Oh, and there’s a lot of talk in Masto lately of building a federated blogging system (the ‘Medium equivalent’ is what I heard). No links yet, but I’m sure one will surface by end of year. The dev community in the federated space is big and ambitious.

It sounds like they are working on something similar to POSSE.

POSSE is an abbreviation for Publish (on your) Own Site, Syndicate Elsewhere, a content publishing model that starts with posting content on your own domain first, then syndicating out copies to 3rd party services with permashortlinks back to the original on your site. – POSSE

Board footer