Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#157 2018-04-22 09:00:37

Destry
Website

Re: Txp cookies, visitor logging, and GDPR stuff in general

bici wrote #311300:

A radical proposal to keep your personal data safe by Richard Stallman: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/apr/03/facebook-abusing-data-law-privacy-big-tech-surveillance?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Gmail

One of the habits I’ve been in for a long time now is removing the tracking cruft from URLs whenever I share them. Sometimes I overlook it when in a hurry or fighting with the ridiculous phone keypad. It’s a courtesy thing, if nothing else, but also takes away from the exploiters benefiting from it.

People on Mastodon who are generally privacy proponents share a lot of links with Twitter or YouTube tracking cruft. They don’t do it on purpose, but theiy’re clearly not thinking about it either.

I’m not single you out. Just bringing it to light. Clean the URLs you share and use, everyone. It’s all part of the resistence playbook.

#158 2018-04-22 09:09:52

Destry
Website

What I really wanted to say, though… ;)

I agree with Stallman’s point of view about how software should be designed (and it seems logging as a plugin fits in with that idea), but he’s not the most eloquent writer. He needs someone teaming up with him on the messaging front, or I fear a lot of what he’s saying won’t reach the people that need to get the message.

Interesting phase of internet we’re in, though. Very interesting times.

#159 2018-04-22 16:14:26

bici
Website Mastodon

Destry wrote #311307:

One of the habits I’ve been in for a long time now is removing the tracking cruft from URLs whenever I share them.

can you provide an example with the URL i provided?

…. texted postive

#160 2018-04-22 16:17:23

bici
Website Mastodon

Destry wrote #311306:

Absolutely not. That’s like saying you can’t edit your posts either, which is ludicrous. And I would radically change my participation if that were ever the case.

And yet there are many forums/blogs where once you have posted there is no editing/deleting.

This is not the case with Textpattern forum and i should have used another example. but the principal is the same

…. texted postive

#161 2018-04-22 16:44:51

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

bici wrote #311315:

can you provide an example with the URL i provided?

Hi Bici,

Destry did https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/apr/03/facebook-abusing-data-law-privacy-big-tech-surveillance?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Gmail

the url could be shortened to https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/apr/03/facebook-abusing-data-law-privacy-big-tech-surveillance

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#162 2018-04-22 16:54:02

bici
Website Mastodon

oh! thanks … i had not noticed that Destry had already cleaned the URL up.

I have learned something. Start of another great day.

…. texted postive

#163 2018-04-22 20:05:42

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

Bloke wrote #311296:

This whole “right to be forgotten” is ridiculous in real terms.

Fortunately it isn’t something that Americans have to worry about in the US because our First Amendment protects us from exactly this sort of idiotic idea.

I am saddened that Foreign Media has gone along with this. Instead of having applicants face the full Streisand effect the way Mario Costeja González did, they are now protecting these people with pet names.

#164 2018-04-23 08:37:17

colak
Admin

michaelkpate wrote #311322:

Fortunately it isn’t something that Americans have to worry about in the US because our First Amendment protects us from exactly this sort of idiotic idea.

Hi Michael,

I guess that there is always two sides to the coin. The way I understand the legal system in the States, many people end up in jail for very minor offences. In line with the freedom of information act, their photos and personal details are plastered on commercial websites, preventing many, the right to re-establish their lives and livelihoods once they are released.

Considering that the States has the second largest incarceration rate in the world and in combination with the privatisation of prisons and the Prison–industrial complex – which in my view is nothing less than modern day slavery – there seems to be a major flaw in the justice system.

There is currently a movement there to establish the right to be forgotten although I do not believe that it will succeed as so much of the US industry – both commercial and military – is depended on the cheap/slave labour of the prisoners.

Furthermore, there is always the Statute of limitations which should be applied and supersede the first amendment, in many cases.

Yiannis
——————————

#165 2018-04-23 13:56:51

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

colak wrote #311328:

Hi Michael,

I guess that there is always two sides to the coin. The way I understand the legal system in the States, many people end up in jail for very minor offences. In line with the freedom of information act, their photos and personal details are plastered on commercial websites, preventing many, the right to re-establish their lives and livelihoods once they are released.

We do indeed tend to impose harsher prison sentences than those you find in Europe. For instance, someone who engaged in a shootout with police that left 4 officers injured could probably expect a sentence that exceeded 20 years.

Considering that the States has the second largest incarceration rate in the world and in combination with the privatisation of prisons and the Prison–industrial complex – which in my view is nothing less than modern day slavery – there seems to be a major flaw in the justice system.

While we indeed do have privately-run prisons in some locations (which I agree is a stupid idea), this doesn’t actually effect sentencing or incarceration – all our courts are still run by the government.

There is currently a movement there to establish the right to be forgotten although I do not believe that it will succeed as so much of the US industry – both commercial and military – is depended on the cheap/slave labour of the prisoners.

Removing factual information from a search engine wouldn’t actually do very much as most employers (at least everyone I have ever worked for over the last 25 years) ask questions about an applicant’s criminal record. That has resulted in the Ban the Box Movement, with mixed results.

Furthermore, there is always the Statute of limitations which should be applied and supersede the first amendment, in many cases.

The Statute of Limitations is concerned with the length of time between a crime being discovered and the trial. I don’t think it applies after a conviction.

#166 2018-04-23 15:16:48

colak
Admin

Hi Michael,

I know that this is a big and polarised discussion in the States but not everyone serving long sentences have committed violent crimes. There is for example the 3-strike rule which resulted in the rise of the prison population for very minor offences. Also the 1984 sentencing reform act has obviously escalated incarceration.

I am by no means trying to say that sentences should not be served. I believe that it is the model which is wrong. The Swedish are leading in reforming the offenders instead of punishing them.

Yiannis
——————————

#167 2018-04-23 15:31:33

bici
Website Mastodon

…. texted postive

#168 2018-04-23 18:09:06

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

colak wrote #311330:

I am by no means trying to say that sentences should not be served. I believe that it is the model which is wrong. The Swedish are leading in reforming the offenders instead of punishing them.

I am not sure Sweden would be my first choice in arguing the success of modern anti-recidivism programs.

To understand crime in Sweden, it’s important to note that Sweden has benefited from the West’s broad decline in deadly violence, particularly when it comes to spontaneous violence and alcohol-related killings. The overall drop in homicides has been, however, far smaller in Sweden than in neighboring countries. Gang-related gun murders, now mainly a phenomenon among men with immigrant backgrounds in the country’s parallel societies, increased from 4 per year in the early 1990s to around 40 last year. Because of this, Sweden has gone from being a low-crime country to having homicide rates significantly above the Western European average. Social unrest, with car torchings, attacks on first responders and even riots, is a recurring phenomenon. – Sweden’s violent reality is undoing a peaceful self-image

Board footer