Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#145 2018-04-21 16:57:35

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Re: Txp cookies, visitor logging, and GDPR stuff in general

jakob wrote #311288:

I still get persistent LinkedIn invites even though I’ve never been on it.

+1

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#146 2018-04-21 17:31:48

Destry
Website

jakob wrote #311288:

I still get persistent LinkedIn invites even though I’ve never been on it.

We are all in hundreds of databases by this point, undoubtedly, most of which belong to ad-brokers. As long as you’re not on the platforms, or anywhere else they can stick ads in your face, you’re pretty much unaware of it. You have to sacrifice those email accounts too, though, or forever use filters. Considering email accounts are easy to come by, I’ll sacrifice like a lizard dropping its tail. That will be the nice thing about deleting Gmail when the time comes, which was probably the vector of much violation.

I just deleted the G+ service. Phase 1 of Operation De-googlization complete. ;)

#147 2018-04-21 17:44:22

Destry
Website

Speaking of GDPR, Textpattern… Let’s say, hypothetically, I would like erasure of my forum history. What’s the plan of action for that?

I wonder if that falls into the gray area where you can feasibly refuse the request because, say, I’ve been willingly active here for nearly 15yrs.

Don’t know.

#148 2018-04-21 17:59:10

colak
Admin

Technically, it is possible and regardless of the time-span and as sad as it would be, I think that we should comply to their request. I would not even go by the legal issues. In the end it would be about (a what I would believe a sincere) request from an individual to a community.

Last edited by colak (2018-04-21 18:02:57)

Yiannis
——————————

#149 2018-04-21 18:00:31

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Destry wrote #311292:

Speaking of GDPR, Textpattern… Let’s say, hypothetically, I would like erasure of my forum history. What’s the plan of action for that?

I think you can choose to dump your own posts, one by one or in their entirety from your profile. At least, I have that option. Presumably as moderator, you could too. Anyone who doesn’t have that option for whatever reason can easily request a moderator to do it in their behalf.

All posts are public so we don’t need to provide a list on demand, per se. You can do that yourself by searching for your own posts.

I think we’re covered. Forums are opt-in by nature, largely transparent and we don’t market to anyone.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#150 2018-04-21 18:03:53

colak
Admin

Thinking about it, technically and legally, there will be a problem as I’m not sure how and what it could be done with quoted text.

Yiannis
——————————

#151 2018-04-21 18:42:33

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Can’t do anything about quoted text I guess. But this’d hit any system the world over.

This whole “right to be forgotten” is ridiculous in real terms. I know that copyright laws are different for books, but as an analogy, say I published a book (my body of forum posts) that was a roaring success. People quoted it in their books (other posts) the world over, then I decide I didn’t want to be associated with it any more and asked my publisher (the forum) to exercise my right to be forgotten. What happens?

Delete the book (my posts) from circulation: fine. Make it not for sale any more (remove it from search engines). Great. But it’s still out there. People own it (may have copied it). Others may have quoted it (in other topic, on other social channels). How can I truly have everything about it purged?

It’s impossible to completely purge everything. All we can do is say we’ve done what we can here.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#152 2018-04-21 23:21:44

bici
Website Mastodon

Can a case be made that anything posted in a Forum belongs there forever. Letters to The Editor in a newspaper: there for ever. Comments made on a website: there for ever. An article published in a Book or Magazine: There for ever.

Were anyone to delete all their posts it would be a disservice to those that would benefit from the information offered.

In case of textpattern in the footer : Copyright 2004–2018 The Textpattern Development Team. Textpattern is both free and open source. GPLv2 license.

…. texted postive

#153 2018-04-21 23:32:00

bici
Website Mastodon

…. texted postive

#154 2018-04-22 06:22:16

colak
Admin

Here is another article on the right to be forgotten. For some, there are legitimate reasons for online erasure.

Yiannis
——————————

#155 2018-04-22 08:17:41

Destry
Website

Bloke wrote #311294:

I think you can choose to dump your own posts, one by one or in their entirety from your profile. At least, I have that option. Presumably as moderator, you could too. Anyone who doesn’t have that option for whatever reason can easily request a moderator to do it in their behalf.

All posts are public so we don’t need to provide a list on demand, per se. You can do that yourself by searching for your own posts.

I think we’re covered. Forums are opt-in by nature, largely transparent and we don’t market to anyone.

That all sounds good. Using the forum is a voluntary act, and no data collected from it is processed anyway, that I’m aware of, so that pretty much makes any request to access it or have it batch removed moot. People can take it upon themselves to do it, which also exempts you from that burden.

Though now that I think about, indepedent of gdpr worry, I would like to have an export of all my forum posts. That would be valuable; more than anything else I’ve got online at this point (sad). Lots of history in there; a couple of essays could be sifted out for sure.

Wasn’t there a purge once though a few years back?

#156 2018-04-22 08:40:53

Destry
Website

bici wrote #311299:

Can a case be made that anything posted in a Forum belongs there forever?

Absolutely not. That’s like saying you can’t edit your posts either, which is ludicrous. And I would radically change my participation if that were ever the case.

Board footer