Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#97 2016-06-20 04:48:36

Destry
Website

Re: Feedback to: Textpattern CMS 4.6.0 beta released

ruud wrote #299837:

That’s weird. Is that the exact error message you got or did you replace the actual username and id with 1 and ‘username’ in your post here?

That’s the exact error, though I did change my username (me) and webapp directory name (evilplans) in the path part.

I don’t have phpMyAdmin locally, so I’ll try doing this on the command line. A first.

#98 2016-06-20 05:16:08

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Destry wrote #299855:

I don’t have phpMyAdmin locally, so I’ll try doing this on the command line. A first.

Sequel Pro is a good front for MYSQL db management on OS X (much friendlier that phpMyAdmin)

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#99 2016-06-20 05:17:56

jakob
Admin
Website

Destry wrote #299855:

If you have Sequel Pro (free) on your Mac, you can simply edit the key name directly in the table. You can run SQL statements in the “Query” pane too, but not php like in Ruud’s example. I was going to say you could also make a temporary page in the relevant txp installation and insert Ruud’s code within a txp:php container but if you can’t use the admin area, that won’t work of course.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#100 2016-06-20 05:19:20

Destry
Website

Thanks, guys. Installing Sequal Pro now.

#101 2016-06-20 08:41:03

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

gomedia wrote #299852:

Dragging a folder on top of another of the same name in Mac Finder replaces the destination folder, i.e. anything not in the new folder disappears.

Sure, OSX is an anomaly here, but that’d only really affect MAMP-style installations. I doubt very few run OSX on their web host, so FTPing the files up will do what most people expect: merge.

I’m surprised this hasn’t come up before, because anyone running OSX and upgrading a local MAMP install will trash their config.php. That’s been the same since time immemorial. Presumably, those people that do this employ the workarounds of either holding Option when dragging then selecting Merge, or using the ditto command.

It doesn’t fundamentally alter the way we distribute the software. To “fix” it, any custom configuration — including config.php — would have to reside outside the entire package that you’d download from textpattern.com; i.e. outside docroot. That would probably entail more hoop-jumping during installation, for example:

Copy the contents of the following textarea into a new file config.php. Make sure this is uploaded in a new directory one level above docroot on your server. Name this new directory something suitable and type it in the box below. Each directory must be unique for each instance of Textpattern. This is especially true if you are running more than one installation on the same server. And if you’re running multi-site you’ll need to… oh, crap… what? You’ve overwritten your entire sites folder that contained all your images and files too?!

Yeah, not pretty. But improvements to the way we do things is always welcome if you can suggest something that’d simplify matters.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#102 2016-06-20 09:04:36

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Bloke wrote #299861:

Sure, OSX is an anomaly here, but that’d only really affect MAMP-style installations. I doubt very few run OSX on their web host, so FTPing the files up will do what most people expect: merge.

As I noted earlier, this depends on the configuration of the FTP client. Transmit for instance defaults to “replace” (when uploading folders), but has a “merge” button next to it.

I’m surprised this hasn’t come up before…

you’re not the only one there, to be honest; although I don’t think it is such a problematic issue.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#103 2016-06-20 09:23:00

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

phiw13 wrote #299862:

Transmit for instance defaults to “replace” (when uploading folders), but has a “merge” button next to it.

I didn’t realise that, thanks for the info and sorry I missed your previous reference. I’m a FileZilla guy and have never ventured further afield.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#104 2016-06-20 11:20:03

sacripant
Plugin Author
Website

Textpattern update is not easy. Sometime dangerous ?

For me, Textpattern update must be more secure and simple.
Txp update need to manually replace files. And yes, some plateformes has different behaviors. personnlay I use bash “cp” command, because in mac with drag and drop, it’s a nightmare.

For me, a list of some difficulties :

• Just replace new files directly in FTP in a prod website is not possible, because you don’t now if some plugins are brocken. Allways I make first a update in a local version. I don’t have a test or prod server for small websites.
  • Nothing help with plugins updates availables for new textpattern version. Textpattern.net is out of date. it is necessary to follow this forum, which is not a good solution.
  • Textpattern don’t provide a ‘user & role permission’ preferences. Only core solution is to manually modify “admin_config” file. A plugin exist but it is not an official plugin, no garanti. I modified admin_config on some sites, and on each update I must see if I need make a merge
  • Idem for .htaccess. Sometimes I added some rules.
  • Be careful not to overwrite “images”, “files” folders and the “config.php” file. Don’t copy setup folder…
  • I adapt back-office with my own CSS, in each update of theme, I need to manually link theme to ‘my-custom.css’ and patch my code.

I approve the proposal to add a custom-css in the core, it will improve updates and fix a offical way to modifiy admin theme CSS.

But if we could also scripting files update (propose a official bash script, use composer, One-click update button?), add a core preferences panel for “user & permissions” (please), a plugin update alert message. It would be happiness:)

#105 2016-06-20 11:24:15

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

All this simplified install conversation, whilst interesting, needs to be moved to Textpattern 4.7 target, since a beta is not the place to be making substantial changes to the installation process. Please can someone open an issue for this topic at the repo and I will flag it as 4.7 proposed work, for discussion there.

Please come back on to topic for any problems/bugs specifically related to the beta. Thanks all! :)

#106 2016-06-20 11:30:38

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

In the interim, I added a note to README.txt (that few read!) about merging directory contents. Feel free to propose simpler language.

#107 2016-06-20 12:24:43

Destry
Website

Not only installed Sequal Pro (excellent app, thank you), but updated installs of mysql and php too. Fresh oil!

So…

ruud wrote #299837:

safe_update('txp_prefs', "name = 'pane_article_textfilter_help_visible'", "name = 'pane_article_textile_help_visible'");...

Just rename the key via PHPmyAdmin.

I’m not exactly sure what your suggesting, but if I look in the txp_prefs table, at key prefs_idx, and column name, the value there is pane_article_textfilter_help_visible. Nothing appears to be duplicate to me.

In fact, that error seems to have gone away, but is replaced by a new one:

User_Error "Invalid default value for 'Posted'" in /Users/me/Sites/evilplans/textpattern/lib/txplib_db.php at line 405.

Last edited by Destry (2016-06-20 12:27:25)

#108 2016-06-20 12:42:15

Destry
Website

Just a note, because I don’t want this issue to waylay this thread…

This particular site is my “wion” site at local, and the site is old bones; an installation that’s been updated since 2004. If I don’t figure this out, it’s not a huge deal because I’ve been wanting for years to extract content out of this file tree and DB and manually port it into a fresh install, adapting it to Phil’s new framework, selectors, etc. This will rid me of derelict tables, folders, and files, and that will be a nice feeling.

That said, I have a handful of other sites on local that I’ve not updated to 4.6 yet, so hopefully I won’t run into the same errors. Doesn’t seem like anyone else is.

Board footer