Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#91 2016-06-18 07:29:27

philwareham
Core designer
Website

Re: Feedback to: Textpattern CMS 4.6.0 beta released

How do you suggest it is improved?

The custom CSS and JS is a non-issue since users that advanced will know how to upgrade without overwriting, they also have the option of renaming those scripts to avoid overwrites happening.

#92 2016-06-18 13:06:16

gomedia
Plugin Author
Website

philwareham wrote #299830:

How do you suggest it is improved?

By having an extra directory to contain custom themes – textpattern/admin-themes-user or textpattern/admin-themes-custom – a directory that TXP checks (in addition to textpattern/admin-themes) when it makes up its list of available admin themes.

This directory would be manually added – i.e. not exist in the TXP distribution, so there is no danger of it being overwritten during an upgrade.

#93 2016-06-18 15:39:10

Destry
Website

Getting these errors on updating one of my sites…

User_Error "Duplicate entry '1-pane_article_textfilter_help_visible-username' for key 'prefs_idx'"
in /Users/me/Sites/evilplans/textpattern/lib/txplib_db.php at line 405.

And…

textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php:1677 adminErrorHandler()
updateErrorHandler()
textpattern/lib/txplib_db.php:405 trigger_error()
textpattern/lib/txplib_db.php:455 safe_query()
textpattern/update/_to_4.6.0.php:30 safe_update()
textpattern/update/_update.php:84 include()
textpattern/index.php:180 include()

I can login and it lands me on the Languages panel, where I see these errors at top, but I can’t do anything after that; not update languages, nav to a different panel, etc.

The text persuades, the *notes prove。

#94 2016-06-19 08:57:38

ruud
Developer emeritus
Website

Destry wrote #299835:

Getting these errors on updating one of my sites…

User_Error "Duplicate entry '1-pane_article_textfilter_help_visible-username' for key 'prefs_idx'"...

That’s weird. Is that the exact error message you got or did you replace the actual username and id with 1 and ‘username’ in your post here? Try doing this manually:

safe_update('txp_prefs', "name = 'pane_article_textfilter_help_visible'", "name = 'pane_article_textile_help_visible'");

Just rename the key via PHPmyAdmin.

#95 2016-06-19 18:37:06

Bloke
Developer
Website

gomedia wrote #299827:

By mixing custom files/directories in standard directories it now means that… Steps to upgrade Textpattern will become more complicated

Why? If my existing installation has a (simplified) directory structure:

textpattern
--> config.php
--> admin-themes
----> hive
------> hive.php
------> assets
--------> css
----------> textpattern.css
----------> custom.css
----------> custom.js
----> hiveneutral
------> hiveneutral.php
------> assets
--------> css
----------> custom.css
----------> custom.js
----> sandspace
------> sandspace.php
------> textpattern.css

and my downloaded textpattern package has this structure:

textpattern
--> admin-themes
----> hive
------> hive.php
------> assets
--------> css
----------> custom-example.css
----> hiveneutral
------> hiveneutral.php
------> assets
--------> css
----------> custom-example.css

when I drag the contents of the latter over the former and I choose to overwrite clashes, anything not in the Txp download package will remain on your disk. It won’t obliterate anything that’s there already. Never has. That’s why your config.php still exists after upgrade. The only way your custom files could be obliterated is if you delete them from your server prior to upgrade; and the instructions don’t say to do that.

Uploading folders and files over existing content will only replace anything that is in the new package. Customisations to non-core files persist. In the example above:

• config.php
  • custom.css
  • custom.js
  • sandspace folder

remain untouched by the upload process (unless you have a fundamentally different FTP experience to me with FileZilla, for example?)

That’s why the core supplies files with -example or -dist on the end. So you can rename them and tweak them without fear of them being overwritten in future.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#96 2016-06-19 23:18:48

gomedia
Plugin Author
Website

Bloke wrote #299847:

when I drag the contents of the latter over the former and I choose to overwrite clashes, anything not in the Txp download package will remain on your disk. It won’t obliterate anything that’s there already. Never has.

Dragging a folder on top of another of the same name in Mac Finder replaces the destination folder, i.e. anything not in the new folder disappears.

Besides, as a matter if principle I’d complete separate user-customised folders/files from standard/official folders/files … but maybe that’s just me.

#97 2016-06-20 04:48:36

Destry
Website

ruud wrote #299837:

That’s weird. Is that the exact error message you got or did you replace the actual username and id with 1 and ‘username’ in your post here?

That’s the exact error, though I did change my username (me) and webapp directory name (evilplans) in the path part.

I don’t have phpMyAdmin locally, so I’ll try doing this on the command line. A first.

#98 2016-06-20 05:16:08

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Destry wrote #299855:

I don’t have phpMyAdmin locally, so I’ll try doing this on the command line. A first.

Sequel Pro is a good front for MYSQL db management on OS X (much friendlier that phpMyAdmin)

#99 2016-06-20 05:17:56

jakob
Admin
Website

Destry wrote #299855:

If you have Sequel Pro (free) on your Mac, you can simply edit the key name directly in the table. You can run SQL statements in the “Query” pane too, but not php like in Ruud’s example. I was going to say you could also make a temporary page in the relevant txp installation and insert Ruud’s code within a txp:php container but if you can’t use the admin area, that won’t work of course.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#100 2016-06-20 05:19:20

Destry
Website

Thanks, guys. Installing Sequal Pro now.

Board footer