Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#85 2016-06-15 12:35:04

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: Feedback to: Textpattern CMS 4.6.0 beta released

phiw13 wrote #299749:

Thing works nicely – both the default custom.css and the user-decides-on-crazy-name.csscases.

Thanks for testing. Glad it works.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#86 2016-06-18 02:53:56

gomedia
Plugin Author

I have to admit that these recent discussions about customised themes have flown over my head, but that’s OK I’ll work it out one day.

However, can I make a general comment on placing user files in standard TXP subdirectories? And please shoot me down in flames, it’ll only allay my fears.

My concern is that the placement of user directories/files in standard directories make upgrading TXP releases more problematic.

For example, non-standard admin themes have to be put in textpattern/admin-themes, so now when there’s a new TXP release I can’t just replace the whole textpattern/admin-themes directory without destroying additional themes contain therein.

If it was set up so that to introduce custom themes there was a requirement to create a separate directory (e.g. textpattern/admin-themes-user), which didn’t come with the TXP distribution, but to which TXP referred then it would limit the risk of destroying something important during upgrades.

#87 2016-06-18 05:50:58

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

gomedia wrote #299823:

If it was set up so that to introduce custom themes there was a requirement to create a separate directory (e.g. textpattern/admin-themes-user), which didn’t come with the TXP distribution, but to which TXP referred then it would limit the risk of destroying something important during upgrades.

That is of course a concern. But then, anything inside /textpattern/ is at risk. For example if you update by simply dragging /textpattern/ from local to server through your FTP client (depending on how said FTP client is configured). Goodby config.php?

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#88 2016-06-18 06:02:23

gomedia
Plugin Author

Upgrading Textpattern is currently a relatively simple procedure – as detailed here:

Copy the contents of the textpattern folder to the server’s textpattern folder. You may exclude the setup directory, since it is only used for first-time installations.

The instructions are clear, i.e. “Copy the contents” of the Textpattern folder. By mixing custom files/directories in standard directories it now means that:

1. These instructions are now dangerously misleading
  2. Steps to upgrade Textpattern will become more complicated

Do we really want to make life more complicated?

#89 2016-06-18 06:25:22

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

@gomedia

Up to Textpattern 4.5.7, one placed third-party admin themes in /textpattern/themes/ so there is no real difference, except for the location. OK, with TXP 4.6 there is an added complication, in that you can have a custom stylesheet or JS file inside admin themes folders.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#90 2016-06-18 07:04:52

gomedia
Plugin Author

phiw13 wrote #299828:

Up to Textpattern 4.5.7, one placed third-party admin themes in /textpattern/themes/ so there is no real difference, except for the location.

Sure, but that doesn’t mean it can’t be improved.

OK, with TXP 4.6 there is an added complication, in that you can have a custom stylesheet or JS file inside admin themes folders.

Is it wrong to desire fewer complications?

#91 2016-06-18 07:29:27

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

How do you suggest it is improved?

The custom CSS and JS is a non-issue since users that advanced will know how to upgrade without overwriting, they also have the option of renaming those scripts to avoid overwrites happening.

#92 2016-06-18 13:06:16

gomedia
Plugin Author

philwareham wrote #299830:

How do you suggest it is improved?

By having an extra directory to contain custom themes – textpattern/admin-themes-user or textpattern/admin-themes-custom – a directory that TXP checks (in addition to textpattern/admin-themes) when it makes up its list of available admin themes.

This directory would be manually added – i.e. not exist in the TXP distribution, so there is no danger of it being overwritten during an upgrade.

#93 2016-06-18 15:39:10

Destry
Website

Getting these errors on updating one of my sites…

User_Error "Duplicate entry '1-pane_article_textfilter_help_visible-username' for key 'prefs_idx'"
in /Users/me/Sites/evilplans/textpattern/lib/txplib_db.php at line 405.

And…

textpattern/lib/txplib_misc.php:1677 adminErrorHandler()
updateErrorHandler()
textpattern/lib/txplib_db.php:405 trigger_error()
textpattern/lib/txplib_db.php:455 safe_query()
textpattern/update/_to_4.6.0.php:30 safe_update()
textpattern/update/_update.php:84 include()
textpattern/index.php:180 include()

I can login and it lands me on the Languages panel, where I see these errors at top, but I can’t do anything after that; not update languages, nav to a different panel, etc.

#94 2016-06-19 08:57:38

ruud
Developer Emeritus
Website

Destry wrote #299835:

Getting these errors on updating one of my sites…

User_Error "Duplicate entry '1-pane_article_textfilter_help_visible-username' for key 'prefs_idx'"...

That’s weird. Is that the exact error message you got or did you replace the actual username and id with 1 and ‘username’ in your post here? Try doing this manually:

safe_update('txp_prefs', "name = 'pane_article_textfilter_help_visible'", "name = 'pane_article_textile_help_visible'");

Just rename the key via PHPmyAdmin.

#95 2016-06-19 18:37:06

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

gomedia wrote #299827:

By mixing custom files/directories in standard directories it now means that… Steps to upgrade Textpattern will become more complicated

Why? If my existing installation has a (simplified) directory structure:

textpattern
--> config.php
--> admin-themes
----> hive
------> hive.php
------> assets
--------> css
----------> textpattern.css
----------> custom.css
----------> custom.js
----> hiveneutral
------> hiveneutral.php
------> assets
--------> css
----------> custom.css
----------> custom.js
----> sandspace
------> sandspace.php
------> textpattern.css

and my downloaded textpattern package has this structure:

textpattern
--> admin-themes
----> hive
------> hive.php
------> assets
--------> css
----------> custom-example.css
----> hiveneutral
------> hiveneutral.php
------> assets
--------> css
----------> custom-example.css

when I drag the contents of the latter over the former and I choose to overwrite clashes, anything not in the Txp download package will remain on your disk. It won’t obliterate anything that’s there already. Never has. That’s why your config.php still exists after upgrade. The only way your custom files could be obliterated is if you delete them from your server prior to upgrade; and the instructions don’t say to do that.

Uploading folders and files over existing content will only replace anything that is in the new package. Customisations to non-core files persist. In the example above:

• config.php
  • custom.css
  • custom.js
  • sandspace folder

remain untouched by the upload process (unless you have a fundamentally different FTP experience to me with FileZilla, for example?)

That’s why the core supplies files with -example or -dist on the end. So you can rename them and tweak them without fear of them being overwritten in future.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#96 2016-06-19 23:18:48

gomedia
Plugin Author

Bloke wrote #299847:

when I drag the contents of the latter over the former and I choose to overwrite clashes, anything not in the Txp download package will remain on your disk. It won’t obliterate anything that’s there already. Never has.

Dragging a folder on top of another of the same name in Mac Finder replaces the destination folder, i.e. anything not in the new folder disappears.

Besides, as a matter if principle I’d complete separate user-customised folders/files from standard/official folders/files … but maybe that’s just me.

Board footer