Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#61 2011-12-12 20:19:06

uli

Re: [mention] 2011 WaterAndStone CMS Market Share Report Results

The Recent Articles block on Dev Blog could also be removed from the left sidebar, it’s a mere duplicate of the content in the main page area, just one link more. Even the “More Articles” link below is a repetition of the “THE ARCHIVES” link above.

Last edited by uli (2011-12-12 20:38:39)

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#62 2011-12-12 21:22:39

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

OK Uli I’ll investigate the needless duplication of content. Might be worth you starting a new thread in the “Textpattern’s Websites and Social Channels” for any other issues/suggestions on the .com site.

Note, I’m not going to make any major structural changes (or amend the navigation bar labelling which I agree with others is too ambiguous at present) even if I’d like to do so, I’ve just been tasked with a tidy-up of the presentation.

#63 2011-12-12 21:41:00

uli

philwareham wrote:

Might be worth you starting a new thread in the “Textpattern’s Websites and Social Channels” for any other issues/suggestions on the .com site.[…] I’ve just been tasked with a tidy-up of the presentation.

Yup, I see. Already tried to look for a potential point in this thread where I could make a snip and start a new topic with, but didn’t find a cool spot. Will start a completely new one soon. Could be done by renaming my existing “Outdated stuff on textpattern.com” to Things that can be improved right now in textpattern.com.

Last edited by uli (2011-12-12 22:46:14)

In bad weather I never leave home without wet_plugout, smd_where_used and adi_form_links

#64 2011-12-12 22:45:35

els

uli wrote:

Already tried to look for a potential point in this thread where I could make a snip and start a new topic with, but didn’t find a cool spot. Will start a completely new one soon.

Uli, you can move multiple posts to a new thread. Just pick the posts about this subject. (As long as it doesn’t make the remaining thread incomprehensible…)

#65 2011-12-12 22:49:11

uli

Els wrote:

Uli, you can move multiple posts to a new thread. Just pick the posts about this subject.

I know, Els. It’s just that the discussion slowly dissolves and shifts, not offering the right point for making a cut. What I did: see my corrected post two posts above.

#66 2011-12-12 22:56:04

els

uli wrote:

It’s just that the discussion slowly dissolves and shifts, not offering the right point for making a cut.

What I meant was that you don’t have to move consecutive posts, you can pick one here and one there.

What I did: see my corrected post two posts above.

Good! Very clear. You can still move some posts from this thread over there, if you wish. Since it’s more or less your subject, I won’t touch it ;)

#67 2011-12-12 23:08:14

uli

Els wrote:

You can still move some posts from this thread over there, if you wish.

Oh, I’m a hasty reader. The reason I didn’t even think of moving posts was …

#68 2011-12-12 23:10:15

els

LOL :)

#69 2012-01-01 07:41:19

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

colak wrote:

In one of them I added the meta tag and I’ll have to wait for a month before they revisit it to see if anything changed. The current report I saved as pdf for comparison.

My first post this year. I revisited builtwith and only the site I added the meta tag generator changed to textpattern cms. The other sites are not listed as using this system.

I believe that <meta name="generator" content="Textpattern"/> or <meta name="generator" content="Textpattern cms"/> should be in all the templates in Textgarden, as well as the one which comes with the first install.

> Also, we might/should do a campaign for the inclusion of the meta tags in existing sites.

Last edited by colak (2012-01-01 07:53:56)

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#70 2012-01-01 14:41:34

Destry
Website

Good know, Yiannis. Thanks. We’ll put it in the mag and certainly all sites I do with Txp.

What would be nice is something that auto-added on the version too, so you didn’t have to think about it after each update: <meta name="generator" content="Textpattern CMS, version 4.4.1">. A nice add to rah_meta, maybe.

#71 2012-01-01 15:28:16

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

*Destry

What would be nice is something that auto-added on the version too, so you didn’t have to think about it after each update: <meta name="generator" content="Textpattern CMS, version 4.4.1">. A nice add to rah_meta, maybe.

Hi destry and happy new year, I think that adding the version might not be advisable as it will allow hackers to exploit some of txp’s old vanerabilities or any new ones which might exist.

What I hope is for the meta tag to be added to as many sites as possible so as to make transparrent the large usage base txp has.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#72 2012-01-01 15:33:28

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

I don’t see super big reason to add it to rah_metas; it’s just a static meta line as long as version number isn’t included.

And that’s the thing; everyone should be running the latest stable, or at least pretend they are. Why show the version number at all. If you are using any other version, you are just publicly admitting that you are running an old version, which could be affected by security issues. For example, every release prior to 4.4.0 is affected by very serious security vulnerabilities.

Marketing trackers and what have we, do not need the version number. Just knowing that the site runs on Textpattern should be enough. The trackers, including BuiltWith, can get the version number if they want. Anyone can. Textpattern does announce the version number in feeds.

As far as BuiltWith specifically goes, I think they have updated their detection method. Which we should thank Robert (that’s some very powerful little tweet :-)) and they [BuiltWith] for responding to feedback. I.e. rahforum.biz shows up as a Textpattern powered website, despite that it’s not advertised as one. Seems like they took look at the site’s feeds as suggested by Robert.

If still fancying about the version number, it’s doable with a tiny line of PHP;

<meta name="generator" content="Textpattern CMS, version <txp:php> echo $GLOBALS['version']; </txp:php>" />

Last edited by Gocom (2012-01-01 15:50:59)

Board footer