Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2009-07-02 20:14:49

keith
Website

Re: Improving...

Ah, well there you go.

Not to worry – I’ll try it on a current version later tonight.

I like the idea though!

Keith
Blyth, Northumberland, England
Capture The Moment

#14 2009-07-02 20:24:10

saccade
Plugin Author

@juanjonavarro
Nice! Thanks!
So a plugin solution is possible. That’s fine.
EDIT: Just forgot to say: Tested it in 4.0.8 on a live install and it works just fine!

Some thoughts:

• When posted the final message is on an empty pane. For me it would be much more comfortable to get back to the comments catalogue again.
  • Just an idea: If your task is to answer lots of comments (e.g. when they are mostly questions, regarding an event or a product) it seems to me a little complicated, going through the edit-procedure. What I think of instead: Couldn’t an additional column be placed in the comments catalogue, with an input-textfield for each comment in which you could write your answer and post them all (means: all filled) by one single “post”-button? (But this may likely be impossible, because it interferes closely with the generating of the comments catalogue).

Just thoughts, maybe you have solutions?

Last edited by saccade (2009-07-02 20:26:38)

#15 2009-07-02 20:47:48

MattD
Plugin Author
Website

Didn’t the version of jquery change between those versions? Maybe just a jquery upgrade will make it work.

My Plugins

Piwik Dashboard, Google Analytics Dashboard, Minibar, Article Image Colorpicker, Admin Datepicker, Admin Google Map, Admin Colorpicker

#16 2009-07-03 06:52:16

juanjonavarro
Plugin Author
Website

MattD wrote:

Didn’t the version of jquery change between those versions? Maybe just a jquery upgrade will make it work.

Maybe. Keith, do you see the “reply” link but it doesn’t work?

#17 2009-07-03 06:56:57

juanjonavarro
Plugin Author
Website

saccade wrote:

• When posted the final message is on an empty pane. For me it would be much more comfortable to get back to the comments catalogue again.

Yes. This is part of the “more polished” sentence :-)

• Just an idea: If your task is to answer lots of comments (e.g. when they are mostly questions, regarding an event or a product) it seems to me a little complicated, going through the edit-procedure. What I think of instead: Couldn’t an additional column be placed in the comments catalogue, with an input-textfield for each comment in which you could write your answer and post them all (means: all filled) by one single “post”-button? (But this may likely be impossible, because it interferes closely with the generating of the comments catalogue).

Yes, it’s more difficult, but I think this use has some interaction problems: input field too narrow, impossible preview, …

#18 2009-07-03 09:30:22

keith
Website

juanjonavarro wrote:

Maybe. Keith, do you see the “reply” link but it doesn’t work?

Yes, that’s the situation, Juanjo – but JQuery wasn’t bundled with 4.0.4 and although I’ve added it to my install, maybe I’ve got an older version of the script.

I’ll check that out, but don’t worry, I don’t mind if this doesn’t work on the 4.0.4 install…

Keith
Capture The Moment

#19 2009-07-03 09:59:40

juanjonavarro
Plugin Author
Website

jQuery is only used for the “animation” effect (the reply form is hidden and is displayed using jQuery). It’s easy to modify if you need it. Just let me know if you need a modified version without jQuery.

#20 2009-07-03 11:25:28

keith
Website

Oh, bless your heart that’s kind of you!

Keith
Capture The Moment

#21 2009-07-03 11:51:20

juanjonavarro
Plugin Author
Website

Ok. The “polished” version here

(“human” texts, go to the comments list after replying, it should work in 4.0.4)

What do you think?

#22 2009-07-03 18:11:23

keith
Website

Excellent, Juanjo – perfectly implemented (no “Preview” needed for the Admin!) and fully functional, even in 4.0.4.

The only improvement I can think of is that Admin comment responses via the plugin could be “auto-approved” and go straight to publication on submit.

Keith
Capture The Moment

#23 2009-07-03 19:32:10

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

juanjonavarro wrote:

Ok. The “polished” version here

Really good job juanjonavarro. Some thoughts:

1. Remember to escape the insert queries. Currently the web, email and name…
  2. Maybe you don’t need to define globals for every page when they don’t do anything. Actually you don’t even need them for anything, because the code always calls the function directly (or could).
  3. The txp_discuss.php include is not required if you just point the form to the comment edit page with correct inputs.

keith wrote:

The only improvement I can think of is that Admin comment responses via the plugin could be “auto-approved” and go straight to publication on submit.

The plugin should set visiblity automatically to 1.

#24 2009-07-03 19:32:25

juanjonavarro
Plugin Author
Website

keith wrote:

It’s already working this way! :-)

Board footer