Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2009-07-02 13:06:21

Pat64
Plugin Author
GitHub Twitter

Improving...

For the third time, will there any chance to have an opportunity to reply to comments directly from the “comments” tab within the TXP 4.2.x branch? Or, do we decide to remove the comments system within TXP? And do I need to leave TXP and go to WP mightmare?

How can you imagine a simple user (not a webmaster like YOU, TXP expert) who want to answer to its visitors? It a very difficult issue :

1st step. Do I have some comment this day? (Brain process)
2nd step. Visit the website.
3rd step. If previous step is a success : access to the back-office and accept/delete the last comments
4th step. Return to the front-office to write an answer
5th step. Come back to the back-office to validate its comment.

(optional) 6th step. Admire for one hour these beautiful replies. (required) Then, go to bed after this huge effort.

For the third time, WP “The Bad1“ has this kind of feature…

1 Michael Jackson.

Last edited by Pat64 (2009-07-02 13:21:36)

Patrick.

Github | CodePen | Codier | Simplr theme | Wait Me: a maintenance theme | [\a mi.ni.ma]: a “Low Tech” simple Blog theme.

#2 2009-07-02 16:54:55

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

Re: Improving...

The development of Textpattern CMS 4.2 is in a “feature freeze” state, i.e. we will not add any new features besides the ones already present in the development version.

The capability to reply to comments from the admin-side is planned for Textpattern CMS 4.3. If you need this specific feature with the apparent urgency that shines through the tone of your post, I really cannot offer you any other advice than the one you’ve already sketched yourself: Switch to WordPress.

#3 2009-07-02 18:17:03

keith
Website

I kinda agree with Patrick that this is a fiddle, but I don’t see it as a major problem myself – hardly a “very difficult issue”.

Seems to me that simply opening two browser windows – one with the admin end open, one with the commented “front end” page – would make this much less of a “chore”: approve user comment in Admin, toggle to the front end comments, have your say, toggle back to Admin, approve.

What would possibly be better would be for Txp to recognise comments from Admin and accept them automatically – and I think there are plugins that’ll do that…

Keith
Blyth, Northumberland, England
Capture The Moment

#4 2009-07-02 18:18:36

Pat64
Plugin Author
GitHub Twitter

Robert,

What a great news! Planed in your list. Sorry for my tone of demands but it seems that it gave some effects. Do you think really I ever project to switch to the dark side of the force?

Your efforts and your hight level of expertise are a chance for this community.

Tks for ail you make (plugins, core development, advices and your help.
Be sure for our respect.

Sincerly,

Patrick.

Github | CodePen | Codier | Simplr theme | Wait Me: a maintenance theme | [\a mi.ni.ma]: a “Low Tech” simple Blog theme.

#5 2009-07-02 18:44:07

iblastoff
Plugin Author
Website

keith wrote:

I kinda agree with Patrick that this is a fiddle, but I don’t see it as a major problem myself – hardly a “very difficult issue”.

Seems to me that simply opening two browser windows – one with the admin end open, one with the commented “front end” page – would make this much less of a “chore”: approve user comment in Admin, toggle to the front end comments, have your say, toggle back to Admin, approve.

What would possibly be better would be for Txp to recognise comments from Admin and accept them automatically – and I think there are plugins that’ll do that…

as pat64 said “How can you imagine a simple user (not a webmaster like YOU, TXP expert) who want to answer to its visitors?”

yes having two browsers open would be fine for us regular TXP folk. but would you really expect to instruct your client to do something like that? i don’t think so.

i don’t imagine myself needing this commenting feature but just trying to keep the issue within scope.

#6 2009-07-02 19:13:34

Pat64
Plugin Author
GitHub Twitter

Steve,

That’s exactly what I thought about.

TXP experts we have to thanks Robert our hereo.

What a beautiful day today!

Best regards folks

Patrick.

#7 2009-07-02 19:20:24

juanjonavarro
Plugin Author
Website

A plugin is coming :-)

#8 2009-07-02 19:28:56

juanjonavarro
Plugin Author
Website

Ok, people.

Could you please try this plugin

Just install, activate and go to edit one comment. You should see a “reply” link on the bottom.

(it’s not the final version, of course. If you think it is useful I will make it more polished)

#9 2009-07-02 20:00:27

keith
Website

iblastoff wrote:

as pat64 said “How can you imagine a simple user (not a webmaster like YOU, TXP expert) who want to answer to its visitors?”

Seriously, Steve? You need to be an Txp expert to be able to toggle between two browser windows?

I used to train people in basic IT skills back in the day, and about the first thing they used to learn was basic navigation between open application windows…

Not what I’d call a Dark Art.

Last edited by keith (2009-07-02 20:01:29)

Keith
Capture The Moment

#10 2009-07-02 20:05:21

Pat64
Plugin Author
GitHub Twitter

Juanjo

I can’t believe it! What a (very) usefull plugin. Tks lot man. I’m going to try it.

Tks again.

@Keith
I definitively second Steve

Best regards,

Patrick.

#11 2009-07-02 20:09:53

keith
Website

juanjonavarro wrote:

Just install, activate and go to edit one comment. You should see a “reply” link on the bottom.

Indeed I do!!

Doesn’t seem to do anything on my install though – does it need a recent Txp version? (I’m testing on an older version of Txp – 4.0.4).

Keith
Capture The Moment

#12 2009-07-02 20:12:06

juanjonavarro
Plugin Author
Website

Keith, I tested on 4.0.6 and 4.0.8

Board footer