Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2009-03-05 18:16:38

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

Re: Opportunity to gently tweak TXP logo

belipe wrote:

The question is what should the copyright and usage agreement be like?

• The copyright will stay with the creator of the original artwork, as copyright is not transferrable.
  • The artefacts will have to be licensed to the general public with a free license which allow us (core dev team and users) to distribute some of them as part of Textpattern. CC-BY-ND might fit.
  • We do not have any brand policy, as we hadn’t needed one in the past. This is blurry territory at best given Dean’s role in this issue. Dean is the only one who could excert control over the “Textpattern” trademark, so to speak, but I do not expect him care a lot.
  • There’s one OSS project I am aware of which uses a style guide. Maybe you’d find some inspiration there.

#26 2009-03-05 18:23:59

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

Regarding the visual appearance, I wonder if there’s a reason for not using the current font (Sackers Gothic)?

#27 2009-03-11 12:17:34

belipe
Website

I did some fine-tuning on the logos and added black and white versions.

I also tried and modified the colors of the logo but I don’t like either of the new versions because the look a little bit like luxury tools.

<txp:nothing_else />

@belipe

#28 2009-03-11 12:20:01

belipe
Website

I’m sure that generic is the way to go because Textpattern is the tool for building websites and the logo touch comes out of combining the tools like an X. More individuality would be courterproductive.

I used a modified version of the DTL Prokyon Caps because Sackers Gothic already seemed a little outmoded to me when I decided to make Textpattern my weapon of choice back in 2005 or so. And I chose this bolder font to simply add more visual weight.

<txp:nothing_else />

@belipe

#29 2009-03-11 14:56:58

redbot
Plugin Author

I think your first attempt was just perfect and conversely I didn’t agree with many of the suggestions/critiques posted till now.
Of course this is only my opinion, but I repeat: I think you made a professional work and this clearly implies you already considered and pondered all pros and cons of your choices.
My fear is we all fall in the infamous ‘design by commettee’ which – as we know – scientifically leads to a worse end result.

#30 2009-03-11 18:55:00

candyman

Thumbs up for me too: belipe’s logo is very nice: clean and professional.
The carver logo is nice but it less usable: this is perfect even for the favicon.
At the moment there are no rivals, for me.

#31 2009-03-11 19:57:55

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

belipe wrote:

I used a modified version of the DTL Prokyon Caps …

So, this would raise a demand for a vectorised version to enable realigned work, as the font is quite costly on a hobbyist scale. Is this covered under the font’s license?

#32 2009-03-12 02:59:42

mrdale
Website

Very nice. We could committee this forever, but why?

It looks way better than the original which is really fussy and translates poorly to small sizes. vote +1

#33 2009-03-12 13:55:36

renobird
Website

I agree – this is a significant improvement.
Convert the font to outlines – implement – done.

+1

#34 2009-03-12 14:29:19

reid
Website

I share Robert’s concerns about the licensing of the font, but as for the creative/aesthetics … wrap it up, I’ll take it!

TextPattern user since 04/04/04

#35 2009-03-13 16:33:35

Destry
Website

There’s no doubt the design work is great. But it’s an “X”. Seems like the perfect logo for XPattern. In fact, if you give this to XPattern and replect the “x” in Textpattern with the Xpattern feather ex, which suggests “text/writing” to me more than a chisel set does, then I think we’re getting somwhere. :)

(Don’t mind me.)

#36 2009-03-13 17:04:41

kemie
Plugin Author
Website

I had gotten started on tweaking a few months ago, but saly have not had time to really continue with it :(
now my efforts pale in comparison to belipe’s version, but i thought i’d post them here anyway.

mine were an effort to just simplify and smooth out the current logo, and make it work at small sizes:

if anyone wants the source files to my sketches, i’d be happy to share…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~| monolinea.com | pixilate.com | istockphoto.com/kemie |~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Board footer