Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2009-03-04 17:34:42

nemoorange
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Opportunity to gently tweak TXP logo

Philipp – awesome work. As an illustration, I am loving it – clean, crisp and immediately identifiable. Plus, you’ve made it work at 16×16 pixels, so it would make a great favicon.

My one concern is that I don’t think it says enough about Textpattern—it looks like a generic icon and not a unique logo for a brand. If I were to first glance at the icon, I would immediately think “utilities” or “tools” and not might not associate it with Textpattern. If I can offer any guidance, I would think making it unique to Textpattern. Maybe that’s making the mallet-head gold, a la the new Textbook favicon.

That’s just my two cents. I don’t want to emphasize what needs to be changed. This is tremendous contribution and I thank you!!

Txp admin themes | dropshado.ws – a blog for design noobs like me

#14 2009-03-04 19:19:42

masa

I agree with Dave, also regarding…

My one concern is that I don’t think it says enough about Textpattern—it looks like a generic icon and not a unique logo for a brand. If I were to first glance at the icon, I would immediately think “utilities” or “tools” and not might not associate it with Textpattern.

Indeed, my first impression was that of an icon for a disk utitlity software or something similar.
Perhaps the emphasis could be put on the write aspect rather than the chiseling ?

#15 2009-03-05 08:29:15

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

I thought this was “tweaking” not “redo-ing”?

FYI, the Txp logo wasn’t used for the book cover because no one could get ahold of Dean to get his permission to use it.

#16 2009-03-05 14:31:55

Manfre
Plugin Author
Website

I like the potential logo redesign.

#17 2009-03-05 15:11:29

squaredeye
Website

!*(U)&)*@#$_@#_*$_!!!!

I just posted another long post about this, and in Safari I get kicked out when I publish. ACKK!

Philip, I’d love to get in touch about some ideas/issues I want to solve with the logo :)

#18 2009-03-05 15:13:21

renobird
Website

Philipp,

I like the direction this is heading, although I do agree with the comments above about the icon.
Keep up the good work.

Tom

#19 2009-03-05 15:14:38

belipe
Website

Glad you like it :) I will try to give it some extra TXP style one way or another.

I first tried to only “tweak” it a little but then realized that it would be a very difficult task to make the stonecutter a strong logo. It’s just too complex. But at least I preserved the tools. And this is what TXP is to me: a tool. It also might stand for the separation of content and design. I could also go back to abstract to make it more logo-like and less like a desktop utility. I might try it this weekend.

<txp:nothing_else />

@belipe

#20 2009-03-05 15:30:13

graeme
Plugin Author
Website

Philipp, I’m not sure about it. Think it is too far gone from the current logo which in my opinion isn’t that bad and would prefer the “gently tweaking” initially talked about.

But then I’m not a designer…

Last edited by graeme (2009-03-05 15:31:09)

#21 2009-03-05 15:39:17

reid
Website

Mary wrote:

no one could get ahold of Dean to get his permission to use it.

In my opinion, you may have stated one of the best reasons to create a new one.

And perhaps we should talk about keeping that from happening again … what is going to be the copyright and usage agreement on this new work?

BTW, Philipp, I love this new version.

TextPattern user since 04/04/04

#22 2009-03-05 16:00:59

graeme
Plugin Author
Website

reid wrote:

In my opinion, you may have stated one of the best reasons to create a new one.

Since then, Robert has got permission to use the image

#23 2009-03-05 16:09:50

maniqui
Website

I repeat: I like it very much, I think it communicates a lot about TXP: it’s a tool, or even more, two tools, because it separates presentation from content. because it’s a tool for the developer (hammer) and it’s a tool for the publisher (chisel).
Also, the style of this new logo also communicates something “fun”, IMO.

Yes, now that others mentioned it, it looks a little like a desktop app icon (like some Gnome/KDE icon).
But maybe adding some details, like making the mallet-head gold, as nemoorange suggested, or also the chisel head, or even making the whole body of both tools as if they were made by shiny gold, so the color (yellow/gold) of TXP is included on both tools…

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#24 2009-03-05 16:11:42

belipe
Website

reid schrieb:

… what is going to be the copyright and usage agreement on this new work?

The question is what should the copyright and usage agreement be like? On the one hand I would love to keep it as free as possible but on the other I wouldn’t like to see it used in another context but TXP. And maybe from the branding point of view there should be a small set of rules – like now – to define the application of the logo. Maybe there will be a black- and a white-on-transparent png version of the logo which may be used on any background but must not be modified in color? But these considerations might go too far at this time.

<txp:nothing_else />

@belipe

Board footer