Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2008-12-14 17:02:32

jstubbs
Website

Re: TXP Minima

Hi, what sort of examples would you like to see?

#14 2008-12-15 15:13:27

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

I’m not sure what you mean by “CSS examples” Данила Е.

My latest port is designed to be used with the hcg_templates plug-in which should make initial installation a lot easier I hope. Never-the-less the page and form templates and the CSS still remain as files that can be opened in a text-editor.

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#15 2008-12-15 19:38:42

jstubbs
Website

Stuart, I am about to release an updated photoblog style version of TXP Minima – checked out hcg_templates to see if it is worth including in the package as you have done for TXP Falling Away.

Do you see think it is much easier for users? Images are not included in the import, and as far as I can see at first look, I’d have to rename some things. Is it worth it?

#16 2008-12-16 16:12:39

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

I’m not a 100% sure what you mean Jonathan. Seems to be a recurring problem. Must be me. ;)

In the installation instructions for “TXP Falling Away” I tell users how to upload the file set using FTP then going in to admin to select the new style. Images are already in place.

When porting this latest design I had already decided to use the plug-in so I created the relevant image directory so that the CSS would contain the correct image URLs for when it was imported. A very odd case of forward thinking that was. ;)

Of course, now I know…

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#17 2008-12-16 17:09:48

MattD
Plugin Author
Website

MyOwn31 wrote:

if other templates by you will be done in the same form-distributed manner, it’ll be great!
also, could you add some CSS examples to each template?

Do you mean examples of what the styles look like?

My Plugins

Piwik Dashboard, Google Analytics Dashboard, Minibar, Article Image Colorpicker, Admin Datepicker, Admin Google Map, Admin Colorpicker

#18 2008-12-16 21:36:07

jstubbs
Website

Stuart, my question would better be put as: Is it worth using hcg_templates for packaged template distribution? Does using it make the process of importing a new template easier, considering that the user may or may not be installing the template over a clean TXP install which has no images?

#19 2008-12-16 21:58:51

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

Jonathan,

Yes, I think using hcg_templates would be easier on the user. Instead of having to copy and paste pages, forms, css and importing images into the backend. All they have to do is install the plugin, ftp up your template subfolder to their _templates main folder, then import your template.

As for the images, have a look at the layout of a template, it contains it’s own images subfolder. Rather than use the TxP images folder, you use your own. You can look around my TxPide _templates folder, have a look at the various distributed templates.

#20 2008-12-16 22:09:33

jstubbs
Website

Bert – is it easier in your opinion for users if they are using an install of TXP that has been used? As in, a non-clean install?

Edit: Would it be better to ask users to start with a clean install?

Last edited by jstubbs (2008-12-16 22:10:02)

#21 2008-12-16 22:17:55

MattD
Plugin Author
Website

jstubbs wrote:

Would it be better to ask users to start with a clean install?

Having used hcg_templates since at least August my opinion is that it’s less confusing if it’s a clean install but it still works with a fully loaded install.

My Plugins

Piwik Dashboard, Google Analytics Dashboard, Minibar, Article Image Colorpicker, Admin Datepicker, Admin Google Map, Admin Colorpicker

#22 2008-12-16 22:19:18

hcgtv
Plugin Author
Website

There’s no reason to start with a clean install, as long as you name your pages, forms and css with unique names. You wouldn’t want to trash their default install, just in case they want to revert to it.

I guess for me it’s been easy to get my head around templates, since I arrived at Textpattern from other systems that allowed you to import templates. The Textpattern concept is that you have one install and you massage it’s look and feel accordingly, it’s akin to a notebook, where you write in it’s pages, as opposed to notepad, where you can open up anything you care to.

#23 2008-12-16 22:21:20

jstubbs
Website

I think what interests me here is a methodology for releasing templates. If the opinion is that it is best to go with hcg_templates, I am all in, but it would be preferable to have a method that would work for first time and experienced users alike.

#24 2008-12-16 22:25:29

MattD
Plugin Author
Website

I think it works for both. Some templates need certain section settings which aren’t handled by hcg_templates (right?)

My Plugins

Board footer