Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2010-02-07 13:27:45

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: New 4.2.0+ 'Prometheus' Admin theme

thebombsite wrote:

Maybe this import facility would best be removed.

OT: Fine by me if it’s causing problems. Though I would prefer to actually solve the issue and offer one universal compression type that works across all environments. As far as I can tell, this would be .tar as it’s the only one that doesn’t rely on your host having compiled PHP with a particular library. The only thing with .tar is it’s not particularly compressed, just kind of smooshed together so the files are a tad larger. The good news is that admin themes aren’t that big anyway.

Incidentally, even .zip files can’t necessarily be created on everyone’s environments because a library is required for that operation. Since I figured there had to be a way of outputting one single file so the theme as an entity can be exported, I included — at great expense in terms of plugin size — someone’s third party implementation of a compression system. The import facility was a by-product of including this library as it handled the import of most compression types… just not .zip because it’s a colossal amount of code and the author felt it wasn’t worth adding it since zip decoding was available inside PHP if it’s been installed by your host. Bummer.

If there was a library I could distribute in the smd_admin_themes plugin that would allow me to use bi-directional zip — or some other single compression system — without worrying about what’s installed in your host’s PHP I’d do that instead. Anyone who has any ideas, please please let me know on my plugin’s thread or via e-mail.

It doesn’t work for me whichever file type I use

Hmmm, are you saying that .tar files don’t work on your environment either? If that’s the case I’m stumped since, besides .zip which isn’t universally enabled, there’s no other compression format I can think of that makes one file out of many and is thus suitable for distribution — creating and trying to distribute a bunch of files isn’t going to help anyone, even if they FTP them up. I don’t think gzip or bzip on their own will do it (I may be wrong) as I think they just compress each file separately, which I believe is why both formats tend to go through the TAR step first. Again, if someone knows something I don’t about how to do this, I’m all eyes.

Sorry for hijacking this thread. Discussion on this sub-topic should probably be moved to smd_admin_themes

Last edited by Bloke (2010-02-07 13:29:44)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

Board footer