Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2010-01-28 09:42:14

rathersplendid
Plugin Author
Website

New 4.2.0+ 'Prometheus' Admin theme

Hey Textpatterners,

As some may have already seen, I have been designing a new admin theme, called ‘Prometheus’.

Current version: v0.8

New ‘Stung’ theme with TXP colours

Theme details

The theme uses a fair bit of CSS3 specific stuff, rounded corners for one, but it should look pretty similar among most browsers because of progressive enhancement. There are a few issues though, in the Extensions tab, the background may sometimes appear dark not white, this is down to the fact that the Extensions area’s body id changes for each plugin that uses making it nearly impossible to cater for each plugin. I think my way round it is to use jQuery, but I have not got around to doing it yet – if someone would like to have a crack at it, I would really appreciate it. As of version 0.5 these issues have been fixed.

When I develop Textpattern sites I am constantly referring to the multitude of resources, so I have made it really easy to get to them by creating a links list it the footer of the theme itself. This list appears on every page and should be very useful let me know if I missed any.

I also included the new Textpattern logo..

Update in version 0.7:
  • If you have more than 8 items in you extensions tab menu, it will look like the image below however if you have 8 or less, it will look as normal.
  • New blue colour-scheme

Update in version 0.8:
  • Addition of new colour-scheme named Stung
  • Fixed various CSS bugs
  • Changed body font to Lucida Grande as it looks better at smaller sizes
  • Prometheus colour-scheme to grey/blue

Download Details:
Click this link to download the Prometheus admin theme version 0.8
Click this link to download the Stung admin them

I would love to know what you think as well!

Cheers

Last edited by rathersplendid (2010-02-05 14:41:05)

Admin Themes Prometheus | Stung | <txp:coder/
My Portfolio | ɹǝpuɐz.com | @MrMartineau
<txp:coder /> – Convert your designs into Textpattern-based websites
jQuery Style | @jquerystyle

#2 2010-01-29 19:59:00

MattD
Plugin Author
Website

Re: New 4.2.0+ 'Prometheus' Admin theme

Using stef’s Admin Theme plugin to install I got the following error

4[1] is not a supported compression format on this installation

My Plugins

Piwik Dashboard, Google Analytics Dashboard, Minibar, Article Image Colorpicker, Admin Datepicker, Admin Google Map, Admin Colorpicker

#3 2010-01-29 20:08:26

rathersplendid
Plugin Author
Website

Huh, thats strange, I haven’t seen that before, mind you I don’t install my themes using stef’s plugin, but I do use the plugin (if that makes any sense).. Do you know what the compression format should be?

I would also like to take this opportunity to say that I think I have fixed the extensions tab issues; I added a wrapper div around the body of each page and styled that, not the body#page-page { background-color: #fff; } stuff that I had to do before. The credit for this should really go to Stuart from Textgarden who gave me the idea in the first place.

For the few that have already downloaded the theme, please re-download the theme

Last edited by rathersplendid (2010-01-31 11:32:05)

#4 2010-01-29 21:32:20

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

MattD wrote:

4 [1] is not a supported compression format on this installation

Bizarre message. It should say which type of compression (zip, gzip, etc) is not supported instead of giving a weird number out. The reason for this has sadly not made it into the official documentation yet (‘coz I’m a slacker) but you can read all about it.

I’ll have to delve into why you’re not getting the proper error message — it may be a PHP version issue, a PHP library not-compiled-in, or (more likely) stupidity on my part. If you could furnish me with a few details about which libraries are compiled into your PHP (primarily if compiled using --with-zlib or --with-zip) and which PHP version you’re running I might be able to track it down, thanks.

As for providing the widest possible range of supported server installations, tar is the safest option since that’s universally built into PHP (but it’s also the least compressed format, though it really doesn’t matter here because themes tend to be small). Next most common is gzip, then bzip, then finally zip. So if you want to guarantee that everyone can install your theme, choose tar when you export.

On the upload side, if you do come across a theme that won’t install you can unpack it manually to your desktop and either FTP the entire dir up to your TXP’s theme directory or re-zip it using a different compression algorithm — gzip, bzip or tar — and then install it using smd_admin_themes. Chances are one of those three will work; zip is usually the outcast. I wish they made it easy for us to do this kind of thing, but they don’t. Sorry.

Last edited by Bloke (2010-01-29 21:34:30)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#5 2010-01-29 21:42:47

MattD
Plugin Author
Website

I thought it was the file name so I renamed it from Textpattern+Prometheus+Theme+0.4.zip to TextpatternPrometheusTheme0.4.zip and got

4 is not a supported compression format on this installation

So now I know it’s the . in the file name. Removing the dot fixed it.

Last edited by MattD (2010-01-29 21:43:06)

My Plugins

Piwik Dashboard, Google Analytics Dashboard, Minibar, Article Image Colorpicker, Admin Datepicker, Admin Google Map, Admin Colorpicker

#6 2010-01-29 21:49:03

rathersplendid
Plugin Author
Website

I will change the filename and compression format now then, thanks guys.

UPDATE: File now updated.

Last edited by rathersplendid (2010-01-30 13:05:29)

#7 2010-01-29 21:54:27

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

MattD wrote:

Removing the dot fixed it.

Aha, it is a stupid oversight on my part then! Many thanks for the diagnosis, Matt. I’ll add that fix to the TODO list.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#8 2010-01-29 22:26:30

maniar
Website

Oh I like this very much and I am already using it. I am glad you have implemented displaying the sub-tabs when pointing to the main tab – I was using the txpcoder theme before this.

One thing I’l like to suggest is if you can ‘center’ the subtabs. For example in this picture the subtabs of “extentions” are too far to the left – for only two items.

Any one else agree/disagree ?

اردو میں بھی دستیاب Textpattern آپ کے لیے اب

#9 2010-01-30 09:30:07

Gocom
Developer Emeritus
Website

The theme looks nice. Not my personal taste, but it looks very nice.

There are some “issues” if you want to call them that :) You can click the image to make it bigger, and see some of the oddies.

• If tabs take two rows (they do if you use other longish language than English or have lot of extensions) the tab row hides main content.
  • Some of the line-height. Like for example new line below textarea or input is right attached to it.
  • <code> lines are bit… well how do I say it, dark and overhelming. I first thought “Did I put button right there in rah_plugin_dev… what a odd label I did”.
  • Top buttons (view site) are too small for some wordish languages.

Maybe that tab issue could be fixed with hover effects. Like when the tabs are hovered over it expands it, and normally shows only one row.

Last edited by Gocom (2010-01-30 09:31:35)

#10 2010-01-30 11:32:05

jstubbs
Website

Zander, thanks for putting together this theme. Its very nice, and I can see its similar to your TXP Coder theme.

Quick feedback – in Safari/Mac I did notice small “Go” buttons on the Admin tab, for example in “Users”.

Personally I find the text a little large but that’s a personal preference.

The upm_img_popper window seems a little broken when opened.

But its really nice to see your efforts to improve user choice on the backend!

#11 2010-01-30 13:15:53

rathersplendid
Plugin Author
Website

@Gocom,
Thanks for checking the theme, I have fixed the problem with the extensions tab double tab lines as much as I can however if you do have two tab lines and you were to hover over the Content or Presentations tabs, whilst still being in the Extensions Section, the second line of Extensions tabs are still visible below; this is not ideal but I am prepared to live with it for the moment. My plan would be to have the extensions tab menu as a dropdown, while leaving the others as they are, but I need a way to add a class to the body in order to do this – it can be done with jQuery but its Saturday and I want to relax a bit…

@Jonathan, I have fixed the ‘Go’ buttons and the upm_img_popper window; as I don’t use that plugin, I never saw the window for it.

Please re-download the theme, currently at version 0.6 using the link in my first post.

#12 2010-01-31 11:48:31

rathersplendid
Plugin Author
Website

Just a note to say that I have updated the theme to version 0.7 which includes an improved extensions tab experience, that when you have more than 8 items in its list the layout changes to accomodate more items.

Let me know what you think of the change. Download link in the first post

Board footer