Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2006-02-10 15:35:26

gdtroiano
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Re: [plugin] [ORPHAN] rss_google_map - display articles on google maps

> cap_nemo wrote:

> Yeah, i’m actually having the same issues. I think it has something to do with the looping of the articles and creation of ‘marker’ points. I’m gonna try hacking around with it today. I’ll let you know what i find.

Excellent! Thanks.

#14 2006-02-11 03:28:46

cap_nemo
Website

MAN… I can’t seem to figure this thing out completely. I looks like the safe_rows() function is pulling ALL of the articles associated within a section rather than pulling the individual article data. ROB are you out there? Can you help us? Thanks. :)

#15 2006-02-11 12:58:56

squaredeye
Website

Rob Soule,
Are those articles all of the same category and section? It would be easier and better if that functionality were in the plugin, but as I recall there was something about the fact that it pulls all the articles into one map that are placed in the same section and have the same category. I haven’t started playing with it yet, but I should.

Let me know if I’m wrong : I’m not actually looking at the documentation at the moment, but I know I asked Rob (RSS) to make the plugin so that it could have multiple markers on one map. Perhaps he could throw in the option for a global id or something that would catch if the id were different each time to only take one address for the marker?

Matthew

#16 2006-02-11 19:17:06

cap_nemo
Website

Matt, you’re right. The documentation does say that it puts multiple markers on the map, i’m slow. :)

I FINALLY FIGURED IT OUT. I hacked around and got it so it’s pulling only the data from the current article displaying. So you get ONE marker per article. Check out the link below to get the updated PHP.

http://storage.couchfort.net/txp/rssGoogleUpdated_021106.php

WAHOO! Victory!

What i also found helpful is this plugin that allows you to check and see if there is data in, lets say, the custom address field and allows you to display the map if there is.

Good luck all!

#17 2006-02-14 02:02:55

gdtroiano
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Excellent work, cap_nemo! Thanks for this.

#18 2006-02-14 15:41:01

cap_nemo
Website

I just updated that page again. I fixed a small display wrapping glitch with the popup box and also some breaking issues with the city, state and zip.

The more i get figure out about this Google map API the more i’m loving it!

#19 2006-02-24 04:34:37

squaredeye
Website

Cap Nemo,
I would be interested in your fix for the display issue and the IE fix (if indeed you decided that was necessary), but I require the original capabilities of the plugin to display multiple markers within a single map. Can you share some of the necessary changes bro?

Thanks man,

Matthew

#20 2006-03-05 04:28:00

squaredeye
Website

I wanted to edit the plugin code, but when I try to save any edits I get the a 503 error? What the?

Service Temporarily Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

This is the only plugin it does this with, and I’ve tried it on two separate sites and it does it on both. Has anyone else had this issue?

I would like to implement some changes to the plugin, unless Rob does it first, but I think he’s busy :) (the theme looks great by the way Rob, well done).

Any ideas peeps?

Matthew

#21 2006-03-05 06:04:24

rbe
Website

@ma_smith – who is your host? I had the exact same problem and it was with apache’s mod_security module. I host with dreamhost and had to turn off the “Extra Web Security” feature. There is an article on the faq about this but I can’t seem to find it right now. I had the error when I was hacking the google sitemap plugin…

found the link the faq articles references a 412 Precondition Failed error, but it describes similar behavior… Once I ditched mod_security it worked great!

Last edited by rbe (2006-03-05 06:08:37)

#22 2006-03-05 06:09:27

squaredeye
Website

RBE, oh yeah, yer the man, I am hosted by dreamhost too. I’ll go look this up. If you can find that faq it would be helpful :)

Thanks man, maybe I can begin rolling on this little guy.

#23 2006-03-05 06:31:13

rbe
Website

just go to the panel -> domains -> manage domains -> pick your domain and click edit… uncheck “Extra Web Security (Highly Reccomended)” and save it. All should be well after that :) Good luck!

#24 2006-05-02 14:09:00

shermer

hi

when i try to install this plugin in the admin section i get the error message,

‘Badly formed or empty plugin code’

does anyone know whats wrong here?

thanks

Board footer