Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2006-01-20 05:35:58

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Re: "View Site" shouldn't open in a new window

I have a PC so I don’t know Camino. Can’t you “right-click” on the tab to get options for opening?

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#14 2006-01-20 06:46:03

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

> Hans wrote:

> I wish the “View Site” button did open a new tab/window.

> /me uses Camino.

Command Click
And use Cami Tools

Personally, in this particular case, I think it is not a bad idea to send that link to a new window. Adavanced users know their browser and will override the behaviour anyway.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#15 2006-01-20 07:04:08

Jeremie
Website

It’s awfully difficult to override a specific instance.

On this case, I don’t mind either because 90% of me using this link is in a new window (well, tab in my case). But middle-click (or command-click or whatever), is much easier than click, then switch window, then close that window, and switch back.

Last edited by Jeremie (2006-01-20 07:04:50)

#16 2006-01-20 11:39:49

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

> Jeremie wrote:

> It’s awfully difficult to override a specific instance.

In Firefox and Opera, when the browser is set up to work in single window mode (default in Opera), target="_blank is always overriden.
In Firefox, you might need to add the following to your user.js file (in profile) (I don’t remember, I have had that browser configed for so long):

user_pref(“browser.link.open_newwindow”, 1);
user_pref(“browser.always_reuse_window”, true);
user_pref(“browser.block.target_new_window”, true);

Restart te browser, and no new uncalled for windows anymore.

In Safari, I don’t know. It should be possible with some of the browser add-ons. But I don’t use that browser, except for testing.

As I said, in this case, I don’t find it to be a problem at all, and opening a new window for viewing the site might even be a kind of protection for the casual user. Imho.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#17 2006-01-20 13:46:01

hakjoon
Website

In Firefox if you click the link using the middle mouse button/wheel it will open the link in a new window/tab. Or there is always right-click -> Open in new Window/Tab which is pretty much universal.

I like that it opens in a new window, but it’s not very hard to use the middle button if this changes.

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

#18 2006-01-20 15:26:10

EddieG5

Hmm … we’re talking about the View Site in admin view, correct? I for one am glad that it pops a new window. Usually, I’m working on a post or a layout and want to check to see how it looks. Clicking ‘View Site’ pops a new window, let’s me check my work and if I have more to do, I don’t have try to hit the back button to go back to admin … it is right there. It helps my workflow.

#19 2006-01-20 15:41:14

mrdale
Website

Related, kinda…

I don’t mind the new window for view site, because I always hold down the command key and have firefox open it in a tab instead, but…

It sure would be nice when I click on tabs in the same manner, for the current page to stay the same location and the link to open in a new tab. Right now both tabs get the clicked link. This is very minor, and for the most part I zip through the UI, like, like… something that zips thtough a UI.

#20 2006-01-20 16:01:33

Jeremie
Website

phiw13 wrote:
Jeremie wrote:
> It’s awfully difficult to override a specific instance.
In Firefox and Opera, when the browser is set up to work in single window mode (default in Opera), target="_blank is always overriden.

“Always”. I said specific instance. Let the visitor decide for himself.

In Firefox, you might need to add the following to your user.js file (in profile) (I don’t remember, I have had that browser configed for so long):
user_pref(“browser.link.open_newwindow”, 1);
user_pref(“browser.always_reuse_window”, true);
user_pref(“browser.block.target_new_window”, true);
Restart te browser, and no new uncalled for windows anymore.

And that’s quite user friendly. At least as easy, no wait, even easier than doing a middle/command/right-click to open a rightfully written link into a new window.

Yep.

As I said, in this case, I don’t find it to be a problem at all, and opening a new window for viewing the site might even be a kind of protection for the casual user. Imho.

Protect him from what ? I can use the back button if he made a mistake.

Last edited by Jeremie (2006-01-20 16:02:08)

#21 2006-01-20 16:08:13

ramanan
Plugin Author
Website

This generated far more discussion than I would have imagined. And I think i’m going to put passive-aggresive UI design on my resume. It sounds impressive.

#22 2006-01-20 16:49:52

hakjoon
Website

ramanan wrote:
And I think i’m going to put passive-aggresive UI design on my resume.

That’s gold. I think it could spawn a whole new area of study.

Last edited by hakjoon (2006-01-20 16:50:09)

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

#23 2006-01-20 17:25:30

takshaka
Archived Plugin Author
Website

phiw13 wrote
In Firefox and Opera, when the browser is set up to work in single window mode (default in Opera), target=”_blank is always overriden.

_blank still opens in a new tab in Opera. This is no better than opening a new window.

To force those links to open in the current tab, you have to add some user javascript — which incidentally means it is only slightly hardler to change behavior for a specific site or page than doing it for all sites.

mrdale wrote
It sure would be nice when I click on tabs in the same manner, for the current page to stay the same location and the link to open in a new tab. Right now both tabs get the clicked link.

Er, that sounds like badly broken behavior. I blame the Steve Jobs.

ramanan wrote
This generated far more discussion than I would have imagined.

Never underestimate the ability of people to inflate the importance of seemingly insignificant items.

After spending weeks developing a web app for a client, I demonstrated all of the exciting whiz-bang features only to be confronted with the question, “Do the links have to be blue?”

Board footer