Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2005-11-20 09:42:59

creativesplash
Website

Request for a "save all" button

If it is not too much trouble on your part, I would like to request a “save all” button for the “Sections” panel (txp > presentation > sections). Right now I have to save settings for individual sections individually. It sometimes gives me quite a headache! Thank you!

“Take a point, stretch it into a line, curl it into a circle, twist it into a sphere, and punch through the sphere.”

— Albert Einstein

#2 2005-11-21 05:06:50

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

Re: Request for a "save all" button

I don’t know that it is advisable to “save all”. You might edit something else by mistake, then have it unknowingly saved, and cause other problems.

It’s because they all appear in the list, so you expect to be able to do that. But, as you add sections the page gets quite long anyway, so it should be condensed like pages/forms are.

I’ll add this to my to-do list.

#3 2005-11-21 05:46:03

creativesplash
Website

Thanx for considering it. I’ve got 10 sections and I change Style sheets for each section every now and then. So it takes quite an effort to save them indiviudally because of the length of the page. If there’s a “Save all” button, I can make multiple changes to multiple sections and then Save everything in one go. It makes life easier. Thanx again for to-do-ing it :)

“Take a point, stretch it into a line, curl it into a circle, twist it into a sphere, and punch through the sphere.”

— Albert Einstein

#4 2005-11-21 07:03:34

steventer

Please — anything to contract/expand or “save all” would be welcomed — one of the websites I’ve done has over 50 sections which makes working on the section page a real pain.

(50 sections? An attempt to overcome TXP’s serious shortcomings as far as subsections/multilevel navigation are concerned)

#5 2005-11-21 08:11:29

Destry
Website

steventer wrote: (50 sections? An attempt to overcome TXP’s serious shortcomings as far as subsections/multilevel navigation are concerned)

Hi steventer. Wow, that really is incredible. I’m not challenging the fact that you need them ;) …but I would be very curious as to how big of company this site is for, and what exactly those 50 sections are. I’ll bet there is at least a bit of IA rethinking that could go on there, as well as the use of some conditional tag magic, that would go a ways to reducing the number of sections needed. (Just a ponder, not looking to prove it.)

Last edited by Destry (2005-11-21 08:12:31)

#6 2005-11-21 15:44:50

steventer

> Destry wrote:

> bq. steventer wrote: (50 sections? An attempt to overcome TXP’s serious shortcomings as far as subsections/multilevel navigation are concerned)

Hi steventer. Wow, that really is incredible. I’m not challenging the fact that you need them ;) …but I would be very curious as to how big of company this site is for, and what exactly those 50 sections are. I’ll bet there is at least a bit of IA rethinking that could go on there, as well as the use of some conditional tag magic, that would go a ways to reducing the number of sections needed. (Just a ponder, not looking to prove it.)

Hi Destry

I had to use that many sections because the client (a publisher of travel guides) wanted urls similar to the following:

www.explorenamibia.com/northern-namibia/accommodation/guesthouses/budget/omaruru-guesthouse

(totally fake tld)

with each of the “subsections” having a page of its own to drill down.

So, www.explorenamibia.com/northern-namibia has a short article, and a list of choices to drill down, as do
www.explorenamibia.com/northern-namibia/accommodation
www.explorenamibia.com/northern-namibia/accommodation/guesthouses
and
www.explorenamibia.com/northern-namibia/accommodation/guesthouses/budget

Quite a tall order, because namibia has 5 tourist areas, which the client sub-divided into 12 sections such as accommodation, many which were themselves subdivided further.

At the moment there are 57 sections, and that’s with only 3 of the 5 tourist areas live!

#7 2005-11-21 16:47:07

Destry
Website

Ah, I see, so it’s more of a depth thing than a breadth thing. How did you get that deep though? I would think the normal way of things allows you the section at <code>/northern-namibia_</code>, but that’s where the core section abilities end, so I thought. Are you doing a URL fake like creativesplash’s notes here?

Oh-ho, I see you are playing with ModX too. I’ll be checking that out soon…good ol’ davidm.

Last edited by Destry (2005-11-21 16:47:33)

#8 2005-11-21 22:31:28

zem
Developer Emeritus

BTW, regarding the original suggestion: I think the sections page has deeper problems, and Save All would be a bandaid solution.

Alex

#9 2005-11-22 05:14:48

creativesplash
Website

<blockquote>
> Destry wrote:
> Are you doing a URL fake like creativesplash’s notes here?
</blockquote>

Mod_rewrite itself is URL faking. The only difference is that it is more elegant. :) (btw. an extra slash in an url makes it an <a href=“http://forum.textpattern.com/viewtopic.php?pid=87303#p87303”>invalid url</a>. So faking it my way wont help me or anyone else)

<blockquote>
> zem wrote:
> Save All would be a bandaid solution.
</blockquote>

Yes. I understand that you are concerned about other issues. A “save all” button is a mere nothing when compared to the other important things on your to-do list. I agree. But there’s nothing wrong in making a feature request (whether small or big) is there? (If I knew PHP I would have submitted the patch myself. Infact I am learning PHP and I’m still in the prelim. stage. It takes a lot of practice and I really hope I can make time to learn things). So, I’ve made a feature request. Its up to you to decide whether the community needs it or not.

Last edited by creativesplash (2005-11-22 05:28:48)

— Albert Einstein

Board footer