Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#61 2005-11-04 16:44:14

steventer

Re: Subsections

davidm wrote: “I strongly advise you do, this CMS has great features and could fill a gap, and make a great tool for coporate websites.
So far I am impressed in a way I have not truly been since Textpattern, and that in itself is a statement…”

OH OH OH jumps up and down and waves crazily

Thank you for this, David — I love MODx! Busy playing with a test install right now… :)

Last edited by steventer (2005-11-04 16:44:33)

#62 2005-11-04 16:45:50

Deep
Website

I just installed it on my local server, I guess it will take some more time for me to understand its template system and working…

Thank David for suggesting it :)

Regards,
Deep

[b]Deep Ganatra[/b]
[url=http://www.web1.in]Web Solutions India[/url]

#63 2005-11-04 16:54:15

davidm

steventer wrote: OH OH OH jumps up and down and waves crazily Thank you for this, David — I love MODx! Busy playing with a test install right now… :)

Yeah, I know the feeling, I have been toying with it since yesterday !
The community is nice and responsive, too, which is very important…

You’re welcome to give some feedback here : MODx : a great Etomite Fork

.: Retired :.

#64 2005-11-04 16:58:42

guyweb
Website

Don’t forget Wordpress 1.6 is gonna be unleashed very soon. It will be interesting to see how far the CMS side has developed. Certainly, from Wordpress.com they’ve been adding lots of AJAX fruitiness.

#65 2005-11-04 17:57:56

hakjoon
Website

I checked out etomite and MODx and I was kind of disapointed at how incomprehensible I found the admin interface. They definitely seem powerful but it all seems insanely overly complicated. Thsi was just from playing with ti at OpenSourceCMS but it kind of scared me away a bit.

Last edited by hakjoon (2005-11-04 17:58:25)

Shoving is the answer – pusher robot

#66 2005-11-05 06:40:40

davidm

guyweb, thanks for the tip I’ll check that out… (I’ve seen that they advertise integration with the hyped Flock browser). Edit : for those interrested about WP 1.6, see the roadmap there : http://codex.wordpress.org/Version_1.6

hakjoon, I didn’t have the same impression with MODx, you can modify the default admin menu system (4 choices). Also, they have done a nice job with inline help and usability. It certainly did not look more complicated than CMS Made Simple, just more “flashy”. Frontend editing is very well implemented and template variables, chunks (very alike forms), I started to toy with it, I find the flexibility akin to CMS Made Simple with more features. Yet I did not find MODx cluttered like portal systems…

Last edited by davidm (2005-11-06 17:09:54)

#67 2005-11-05 17:42:25

hakjoon
Website

Well this was just from playing with it on OpensourceCSM.com. Maybe I’ll install it and actually check it out. I do like the philosophy they seem to be taking with MODx.

#68 2005-11-10 00:39:22

maniqui
Website

And what about this one…?

Mooflex

It looks nice.

I think the most beautiful one is this one, it’s the one I felt in love.

La música ideas portará y siempre continuará

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#69 2005-11-10 08:34:03

davidm

maniqui wrote: And what about this one…? Mooflex . It looks nice. I think the most beautiful one is this one, it’s the one I felt in love.

Yeah I know what you mean about textpattern, same here… yet sometimes you need another tool for the job… One of the things that enthralled me about textpattern was not only the app, but the community :D In this regard, MODx (future “Tattoo”) is very nice too :)

Hmmm… Mooflex is not even release as an alpha, but the video sure looks a lot like a CMS Made Simple with AJAX, a nice clean interface and tags, which is not bad at all. The problem is, from the comments on the Mad4milk blog, it doesn’t seem it will be opensource… “free for noncommercial use” is fuzzy at best, and I only use GPLed CMS, but thanks for the pointer :D

Last edited by davidm (2005-11-10 08:34:39)

#70 2005-11-10 09:41:15

Mary
Sock Enthusiast

The template system Mooflex uses is Smarty. You don’t want Smarty. You want pretty Txpy tags. ;)

#71 2005-11-10 14:23:04

hakjoon
Website

I honestly have a hard time going to anything else after Textpattern. I remember when Dean mentioned that it would exist and I was currently in love with textile so I was all excited, plus I loved the interface shots. Then he released the first public release and i couldn’t get it to do anything. So I continued with Movable Type even though it was really wedging a square peg in a round hole for what I was trying to do. Then I moved to EZ-publish which I really liked but oh my god it was molasses. All this time I kept longingly looking at Textpattern. I decided to try it again and I have never looked back. I flirted with Wordpress but I just didn’t like it.

I do wish the clean url’s were more flexible, (but I’m sure that will come and there are plugins). I also would love to see something like WP pages implemented. Even though that functionality can completely be mimicked it’s hard to get through to my less computer savy clients. I’ve been meaning to see how hard that would be to implement, because I think the current release could almost accomodate it already.

In the end I look elsewhere and always come back and I love the community (it’s the first one I have felt so much drive to contribute to), but I think looking around makes us see ways in which we could push TXP further.

Ok group hug time.

#72 2005-11-17 16:52:39

davidm

I know the feeling… so far I didn’t find anything near this flexibility but I have to admit MODx is the second CMS after Textpattern that I just LOVE.

I don’t think people see it yet, but eventually they will, it’s a GREAT cms. I’ve toyed with it and I am almost finished building a website with it (actually, it took me 2 hours to switch this corporate website from txp > modx). And frankly, for this particular corporate website’s need, it’s a better tool than textpattern.

It buries CMS Made Simple since it has the same flexibility but just does the job better and the dynamics of the community is awesome ! Believe me this one will make a lot of noise when 1.0 is released. I wasn’t wrong with textpattern, neither am I with MODx.

Plus the devs are talented and community is great, just like txp is… Now I have 2 great web tools :)

Board footer