Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2004-04-06 19:40:22

Winters

Subsections

It seems so obvious that I fear I overlooked a thread for it, couldn’t find it, though.

Sooo…. subsections, anyone?

#2 2004-04-06 19:51:24

mamash
Website

Re: Subsections

Can you provide an ‘obvious’ example? Honestly I can’t think of one…

Who’s gonna textdrive you home tonight?

#3 2004-04-06 20:08:50

Winters

Well, one example would be my post here:
http://forum.textpattern.com/viewtopic.php?id=978
Where it would make sense to have subsections for “TV shows/ Show X” or “Fanfic/ Show X”).

Also, many people asking about sub categories really want subsections.

Last edited by Winters (2004-04-06 20:09:42)

#4 2004-04-06 20:22:40

mamash
Website

Winters wrote:

What makes you know what people really want? ;)

I believe the way Dean devised sections/categories is clear from how you manage them. Sections are bound with pages and styles, therefore it makes much more sense to use them for different types of materials. E. g. a news item, an article, a movie review etc. You can easily adapt your page form and/or page style, as different types (i. e. equivalents of a magazine columns) might require different styles.

On the other hand, categories don’t allow for this kind of handling, which implies that they are not expected to behave in different ways in terms of layout/style. This said it makes sense to reserve categories for different types of content (e. g. movies, books, music, philosophy, whatever).

I don’t recall anyone asking for a subsection or anything close to it here, and believe me, I read most of the topics here. (Although I might have just missed it.)

Who’s gonna textdrive you home tonight?

#5 2004-04-06 20:52:22

jdueck
Plugin Author
Website

Yeah…subsections…they are not needed if the site is designed properly imho.

#6 2004-04-06 20:59:29

Winters

> mamash wrote:

> Winters wrote:

What makes you know what people really want? ;)

Nothing does, and I don’t. I just read people asking about their subcategories, and they were told, hey, what you really want is subsections, don’t use subcategories for that. Which is why I concluded there might be a demand.

> believe the way Dean devised sections/categories is clear from how you manage them. Sections are bound with pages and styles, therefore it makes much more sense to use them for different types of materials. E. g. a news item, an article, a movie review etc. You can easily adapt your page form and/or page style, as different types (i. e. equivalents of a magazine columns) might require different styles.

OK, now I think I got it all wrong. But then, that was the sense of my post I am linking to, to make people tell me whether I got that right. Nobody replied, though. I guess it could have helped me.

Thank you for replying here and I will try to make sense of it all tomorrow.

> jdueck wrote:

> Yeah…subsections…they are not needed if the site is designed properly imho.

OK, I could provide a link to my (static) page and I would really appreaciate any advice about why my organisation does not my sense or, rather, would make more sense the other way around in TP. Thanks.

Last edited by Winters (2004-04-06 21:07:35)

#7 2004-04-06 23:11:12

ramanan
Plugin Author
Website

Yeah

Last edited by ramanan (2004-04-06 23:11:40)

#8 2004-04-06 23:44:27

bjorn
Website

I agree – hierarchical subsections could be handy when using txp as a cms for more “corporate”- looking websites… This is a feature I miss in a lot of tools out there.

The categories are used for marking up types of content, while subsections would enable us to create a site tree structure…

this would make it a walk in the park to create something like for example:

<pre><code>
-about us -vision -mission -our people -person1 -person2 -Etc etc…
</code></pre>

… and shift order on the menu nodes on the page would be way easier than shifting sort order for categories.

By making a plugin which would get a single post by its id
and adding some kind of on-page-editing, txp would also function as a full-blown cms, without too much overhead in the performance. just like there is a setting for use sections/categories, there could also be one for hierarchical categories.

I think it would make a lot of sense to enable subsections.
Hierarchical categories per section would also do the trick I guess, but that would probably clash with the category concept of txp, wouldn’t it?

Last edited by bjorn (2004-04-06 23:45:34)

#9 2004-04-07 00:44:58

Ray

“they are not needed if the site is designed properly imho.”

Nonsense.

A corporate site is an excellent example but it doesn’t need to stop there. Personal sites are becoming more complex everyday. Site owners are starting to create and share more than the events of their daily lives. Textism, Noahgrey, Zeldman, Alistapart, Stopdesign, Theheadlemur, Sitepoint, Digital-web, Themorningnews, Boxesandarrows (the list is long and growing) all started as small personal sites or were just small sites to begin with that have grown not only in popularity but … complexity. Any of these (obviously NON corporate) sites are using or could use subsections.

It all comes down to “how much information do you have to share on your site and how do <b>you</b> want to organize it”.

#10 2004-04-07 00:50:34

Ray

<a href=“http://forum.textpattern.com/viewtopic.php?id=1078”>This</a> is worth considering.

#11 2004-04-07 01:06:41

.s
Website

Ray took the text out of <strike>the pattern</strike> my mouth.

edit: errr. Textile.

Last edited by .s (2004-04-07 01:08:22)

#12 2004-04-07 18:14:02

Winters

Well, now I still don’t know if I got it all wrong ;) One thing I do know: I still think about my website in terms of “directories”. (I have no background in CMS/ blogging/ dynamic content…except a forum, which on the surface is very hierarchically structured) Maybe that’s may problem. The post of Ray is exactly what I am about.

Last edited by Winters (2004-04-07 18:15:23)

Board footer