Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#37 2005-09-19 16:03:22

LeeStewart
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Re: hit_logger plugins alpha v0.9.05 now available!

thebombsite wrote:
A gallery2 plug-in sounds rather nice though I haven’t figured out yet why you sent me to your about page.

Because I put some screenshot images on my about page, but they’re just plunked into the page in some awkward manner. My Gallery integration will fix that.

I would definitely keep the Graham Norton thing under your hat. (He’s bloody funny though.)

My girlfriend thinks he’s a twit and leaves the room when I turn it on. I sometimes use this fact to my advantage…

So have you seen my paranoid 404 yet?

Yeah, I’d seen it – I’m amazed by how many lines are the same length!

[Lee]

Monkeys could have written a better post..

#38 2005-09-19 18:10:59

els

I had hit_logger disabled (in Admin:Preferences) for a while (not deactivated or uninstalled), and I noticed that caused everything under the Extensions tab to disappear. In my install there are also the tabs for rss_admin_db_manager, but when hit_logger was disabled clicking Extensions lead me to an empty screen…

#39 2005-09-19 18:58:37

LeeStewart
Archived Plugin Author
Website

doggiez wrote:
I had hit_logger disabled (in Admin:Preferences) for a while (not deactivated or uninstalled), and I noticed that caused everything under the Extensions tab to disappear.

Fixed, thanks for finding that! I’d coded things a little too aggressively with the disabling. In the next release, disabling my plugins will mean that I won’t track hits or handle any of my tags. It also means that the admin:log screen will use the Textpattern page and not the hit_viewer screen.

All of the tabs under extensions should appear, including mine.

[Lee]

#40 2005-09-20 20:34:33

schussat
Plugin Author
Website

Hi Lee-

I’m seeing some strange things with 404 handling. I have my log_default_404_url set to mysite.com/404, which is basically a blank section whose only page shows the 404 message. This works great if someone clicks a not-found link — they get the correct 404 page displayed. But if by chance someone tinkers with the URL of the resulting page (changing it from mysite.com/404?i=6166 to mysite/com/404?ls=imp — why? I don’t know, but I’m seeing it in my logs), then the output gets really strange; it turns into a basically unformatted list of titles.

Is there a way around this? Am I just implementing the 404 section incorrectly?

Thanks-
-Alan

-Alan

#41 2005-09-20 20:37:19

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Am I missing something or isn’t there a way to empty the log? I don’t mean disable or uninstall the plug-ins, just empty the log.

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#42 2005-09-20 20:50:15

LeeStewart
Archived Plugin Author
Website

schussat wrote:
Is there a way around this? Am I just implementing the 404 section incorrectly?

The problem is that I coded the 404 support wrong, I had trouble getting a web server to reliably forward the hit information when forwarding the page – $_POST variables don’t seem to get passed in all cases. People are trying to hack your site by passing values into the SQL code that I use to retrieve the error info. I’m not sure how dangerous it is, but you might want to specify a URL of www.google.com for the log_default_404_url parameter.

I’d already fixed this issue in the latest version and things are more secure.

[Lee]

#43 2005-09-20 20:52:35

schussat
Plugin Author
Website

Awesome, thanks for the quick response. I’ll temporarily disable my own 404 page for now.

-Alan

#44 2005-09-21 00:18:47

LeeStewart
Archived Plugin Author
Website

thebombsite wrote:
Am I missing something or isn’t there a way to empty the log? I don’t mean disable or uninstall the plug-ins, just empty the log.

That’s a tricky question. With the version of the plugin you have, the standard Textpattern log size (admin:preferences, Advanced Preferences “Expire logs after” field) is used to tell how much data to capture. By default, this is seven months. I’ve moved this into a plugin config parameter so you don’t have to bounce around so much (the same with disabling the DNS lookup).

There’s actually a bunch of data that’s cached, though. The daily totals are stored in a table that keeps growing forever. I estimate that a year of data is under 50k, so that’s not a big deal. There are a few other things that I cache to speed up processing (txp_log_forumcache, is a hidden example – the search info is a more obvious one), but there are no controls to reduce the size.

My third plugin in this set will have fairly sophisticated controls for the system, including downloading language files, skinning the charts, managing the layout of the Details View, etc. I’ll put controls there to let people set max values for the tables sizes.

Mostly it’s just a matter of time. I’m thinking sometime before Christmas.

[Lee]

Board footer