Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2005-09-17 13:43:44

els

Re: hit_logger plugins alpha v0.9.05 now available!

Well, since I activated the plugins there are 5 hits (excluding my own) in the TXP logs, and according to the plugin, suprise surprise, none…

#26 2005-09-17 14:15:37

LeeStewart
Archived Plugin Author
Website

doggiez wrote:
What am I doing wrong???

It’s not you, there’s no reason for the plugin to behave that way.

Just to be sure I understand you – when you go to the “admin:plugins” screen you see my page, but it’s empty? It just says “No logging information recorded yet”?

Can you look in the database and see if the test_txp_log_hit table has any records in it?

When installing both plugins I experienced about the same things as NeilA did,

Ack, I’ve totally got to work that out. The system is pretty good at “self repairing” if there’s a problem, but nothing is worse than installing something and seeing a page of errors.

What version of Textpattern are you running?

It just crossed my mind that I added an extra line in txp_log.php (like this), to remove my own hits from the logs. Could that be related?

I don’t think so. You could try turning off Textpattern logging with the “admin:preferences” screen (set Logging to be “None”). This should skip all of the modified code.

By the way, if you can’t see the “extensions:logger prefs” screen with all of the options, my plugin is turned off and won’t log any hits or handle 404s. (It doesn’t sound like the problem you have since you’ve gone through the configuration parameters, just thought I’d mention it.)

[Lee]

Monkeys could have written a better post..

#27 2005-09-17 15:49:54

LeeStewart
Archived Plugin Author
Website

thebombsite wrote:
Well Lee, I installed it last night (my time) without error, except the expected one,

Just to be sure, you only installed the hit_logger and the “expected error” you get is that the hit_viewer is missing?

So what’s next then?

First off is more tags and some tweaks. I plan on making the charts and graphs look better. I want to try and detect if the visitor has JavaScript enabled, their color depth/resolution, etc. The version I’m working on tracks file downloads and I have a few other secret improvements in mind.

I’ve also got a third plugin that will work with these two. It’s “hit_configure” and is designed to perform some pretty advanced things like auto-updating of the internal tables (spiders, OS, language, etc). It’ll let you select a link and say “this is a referral spammer”, which will let you ignore hits from that domain.

Then there’s the plugin to handle archives in a way that I’ve never seen and some pretty sophisticated gallery2 integration (including in-line photos so images don’t just lie there, like these screenshots).

The coding would go faster if I hadn’t discovered some old Graham Norton episodes on-line. I only admit this because we’re friends, don’t go spreading that about. Ta.

[Lee]

#28 2005-09-17 16:37:11

els

LeeStewart wrote:

Just to be sure I understand you – when you go to the “admin:plugins” screen you see my page, but it’s empty? It just says “No logging information recorded yet”?

Yes, but it’s the admin:logs screen. This is what I see. When I press ‘View details’ I get this. All rather empty…

Can you look in the database and see if the test_txp_log_hit table has any records in it?

All your tables are empty but for txp_log_lut and txp_log_searchqry. And btw it’s not called test_txp_log_hit but txp_log_hit.

What version of Textpattern are you running?

4.0.1 rev. 891.

You could try turning off Textpattern logging with the “admin:preferences” screen (set Logging to be “None”). This should skip all of the modified code.

Tried that, it does not make any difference.

By the way, if you can’t see the “extensions:logger prefs” screen with all of the options, my plugin is turned off and won’t log any hits or handle 404s. (It doesn’t sound like the problem you have since you’ve gone through the configuration parameters, just thought I’d mention it.)

I can see it.

Thanks for your help, Lee.

#29 2005-09-17 21:26:30

els

YES!!! Got it working!

I decided to try and install the plugins on another site and, of course, it worked as it should there. So I uninstalled the first one, reinstalled and tried to repeat exactly what I had done on the second site. Here is what I think made the difference:

First, after installing and activating hit_logger, I went to the extensions:logger prefs tab, and saw this:

Unable to configure the database, the following occurred:
Duplicate entry ’1-hit_logger_version’ for key 1

You can attempt to clean up the database and try the database configuration again.
WARNING – This will remove all previously logged information!!!
Reinstall
Seriously, this is huge. You won’t be warned again.
Clicking will remove everything.
I’d use the blink tag if I could…

The first time, as I read in NeilA’s post, I ignored this and went on with installing and activating hit_viewer.
Now however, I chose ‘Reinstall’. Then I got the warning that hit_viewer was not installed, and from there went to admin:plugins to install and activate hit_viewer. (Then in admin:logs I got the warning that hit_logger was not installed, but I chose to ignore that.)
And from then on, everything worked ;)

Sorry for taking your time and thanks again for your help, Lee. It’s a wonderful plugin!

Just one small thing: it doesn’t know Opera. <txp:hit_logger_browser /> does not display anything in Opera 8.02.

#30 2005-09-17 21:43:09

NeilA
Website

> doggiez wrote:

The first time, as I read in NeilA’s post, I ignored this and went on with installing and activating hit_viewer.
Now however, I chose ‘Reinstall’. Then I got the warning that hit_viewer was not installed, and from there went to admin:plugins to install and activate hit_viewer. (Then in admin:logs I got the warning that hit_logger was not installed, but I chose to ignore that.)
And from then on, everything worked ;)

Yep, I think that pretty much sums up my experience the first time I installed (which was 0.9.04, I think).

Cheers

Neil – Blue Mountains, Australia

http://westserve.org
http://ministrygrounds.net.au

#31 2005-09-17 22:27:00

els

One other thing: the plugin causes my nice new /category/title urls, created with gbp_faux_static, to lead to my 404 page. So unfortunately I have to – temporarily – disable hit_logger, but I hope to find a solution for this (here or there). Otherwise I’ll have to decide what is more important… :(

#32 2005-09-18 01:16:33

thebombsite
Archived Plugin Author
Website

Lee I actually installed both and I’m slowly working through and switching off some of the hit-types though I shall probably keep some of them.

A gallery2 plug-in sounds rather nice though I haven’t figured out yet why you sent me to your about page.

I would definitely keep the Graham Norton thing under your hat. (He’s bloody funny though.)

So have you seen my paranoid 404 yet?

Last edited by thebombsite (2005-09-18 01:17:25)

Stuart

In a Time of Universal Deceit
Telling the Truth is Revolutionary.

#33 2005-09-18 16:09:17

LeeStewart
Archived Plugin Author
Website

doggiez wrote:
YES!!! Got it working!

Wow. I’d never imagine that would have caused the problem. If the install didn’t go right, then you shouldn’t see the Preferences screen… Wacky.

I’ll work hard on getting this more robust so future users don’t have the same problem as you and NeilA.

[Lee]

#34 2005-09-18 17:40:33

LeeStewart
Archived Plugin Author
Website

also doggiez wrote:
One other thing: the plugin causes my nice new /category/title urls, created with gbp_faux_static, to lead to my 404 page.

Well, I look to see if the currently rendered page is flagged as a 404 and do some handling based on that info. My guess is that Textpattern doesn’t see the page and thinks it’s a 404, which is normally okay since gbp_faux_static is handling some internal remapping to point to a page that’s actually in the system.

I had intended for the “log_handle_redirects” parameter to turn off sending the browser to the “log_default_404_url” page, but I haven’t fully code that bit.

When I have a chance I’ll look at gbp_faux_static and see if there’s a way it can remove the 404 flag for pages that it’s remapping. I’m not sure that’s going to be possible since it would have to be called before my code and I don’t know how to control that.

Just one small thing: it doesn’t know Opera. &lt;txp:hit_logger_browser /> does not display anything in Opera 8.02.

Yeah, there are a couple browsers that aren’t detected properly, same with OS and spider hits. There’s a lookup table for these values and I’ve got most of the major items in the list. Right now I’m working on a way to update those remotely, so the plugin will go out and get the latest records from my server.

[Lee]

#35 2005-09-18 17:59:49

els

LeeStewart wrote:

Well, I look to see if the currently rendered page is flagged as a 404 and do some handling based on that info. My guess is that Textpattern doesn’t see the page and thinks it’s a 404, which is normally okay since gbp_faux_static is handling some internal remapping to point to a page that’s actually in the system.

I had intended for the “log_handle_redirects” parameter to turn off sending the browser to the “log_default_404_url” page, but I haven’t fully code that bit.

When I have a chance I’ll look at gbp_faux_static and see if there’s a way it can remove the 404 flag for pages that it’s remapping. I’m not sure that’s going to be possible since it would have to be called before my code and I don’t know how to control that.

My knowledge of coding is absolutely zero, so you’ll understand I don’t have a very good idea of what is possible and what is not. It would be nice if I could use both plugins, but if I’m asking for something too complex please don’t spend time on it just because I happen to like aberrant urls…

Yeah, there are a couple browsers that aren’t detected properly, same with OS and spider hits. There’s a lookup table for these values and I’ve got most of the major items in the list. Right now I’m working on a way to update those remotely, so the plugin will go out and get the latest records from my server.

Neat.

#36 2005-09-18 22:09:44

LeeStewart
Archived Plugin Author
Website

rossharvey wrote:
What can I say, awesome plugin. Lists all the logging goodness you need. Popular search terms is the most interesting!

Thanks!

By the way, I use the term “search phrase”, since it’s sort of a condensed version of what the user typed into Google (or wherever). I take the search term, remove short words (less than 3 characters) and some punctuation, then lower-case and alphabetize the remaining words.

Some hit tracking code considers “Random Oddness” and “random oddness” to be different strings. I went the opposite route and “normalize” the data, which increases the number of hits you’ll get from search terms that are close. For example “a puppy is cute” and “cute puppy” are the same within my logger.

The disadvantage is that Google considers those phrases very different. Plus I now get hits like “for place technology wimps”, which is a little weird.

[Lee]

Board footer