Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2024-03-27 04:57:49

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Serif sold to Canva

Serif, the company producing the Affinity suite of design software many here like, sold to Aussie company Canva, producer of a suite of online, subscription based, design packages.

Statement by Serif CEO

Michael Tsai has some reactions

My first reaction: Hmm, Affinity 3.0 will be subscription based, available sooner than you may want. In a couple of years… sorry, only available online… requires Chrome. And: close to the release of MacOS.next, a major version release. Current version has some “glitch” that prevents it to work reliably on macOS.next.

Been there saw the movie…

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#2 2024-03-27 09:08:05

Algaris

Re: Serif sold to Canva

Yeah, I saw that. I hope they stick to the current pricing model and perpetual licenses. I could at least use Pixelmator Pro if they switch to a subscription. I’m not sure where I’d go for a replacement to Affinity Publisher though.

From the Serif FAQ

There are no changes to our current pricing model planned at this time, with all our apps still available as a one-off purchase. Existing Affinity users will be able to continue to use your apps in perpetuity as they were originally purchased – with plenty of free updates to V2 still to look forward to!

I noticed the no changes to our current pricing model planned at this time. I realise they have to say this but it doesn’t hold me with confidence. Time will tell I guess.

#3 2024-03-27 12:57:13

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

phiw13 wrote #336968:

Been there saw the movie…

Amen, brother.

I’m as wary as most people when it comes to pledges being made by acquired companies, but have a look at this: affinity.serif.com/en-gb/press/newsroom/affinity-and-canva-pledge/

#4 2024-03-27 15:36:08

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

Very much hoping this will work out in the end as announced today, by a person who’ll be very elsewhere when his actual promises vanish into corporate reality.

Which I say as a person still using Lightroom 6.14, the last release with a perpetual buy-once licence.

#5 2024-03-27 15:58:22

bici
Website Mastodon

wet wrote #336974:

Very much hoping this will work out in the end as announced today, by a person who’ll be very elsewhere when his actual promises vanish into corporate reality.

I hope that this is not yet another good software suite falling victim to #enshittification and a license model moving from perpetual to monthly subscription.

I have backed up all my installs of the V2 suite. And then hope I can coast for another couple of years. …

…. texted postive

#6 2024-03-27 16:27:27

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

This just in:

The Affinity and Canva Pledge

#7 2024-03-27 16:38:00

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

wet wrote #336974:

Which I say as a person still using Lightroom 6.14, the last release with a perpetual buy-once licence.

I am patiently waiting for an Affinity-flavour remix of Lightroom. The HDRI workflow in Photo is mind-bogglingly good.

#8 2024-03-28 07:10:44

wet
Developer Emeritus
Website Mastodon

On this topic I have “talked” to Affinity’s customer support chatbot in FB in the past. See below if you are interested.

March 03, 2022

Me:

Currently, I still use Adobe Lightroom 6.14 as I hesitate to subscribe to the Adobe Cloud. Alas, Lightroom is ageing and it shows.

As I am also a user of Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer I keep on wondering whether Affinity is planning to release a product which caters to the Lightroom user base, featuring library management and raw editing.

Would you mind sharing Affinity’s thoughts on this topic please?

Affinity:

You will be pleased to know that a Digital Asset Manager is in our future plans and early work has begun, although at this time there is no firm timescale for when it is likely to become available.

[crickets…]

March 09, 2024

Me:

Would you mind sharing the current state of Affinity in the digital asset management arena?

Affinity:

We don’t currently offer a DAM, but we’d like to in the future.

Board footer