#97 2021-06-02 06:38:50

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Re: Fook Google and its fookin' sheet

bici wrote #330337:

it’s getting worse

::
“Amazon customers have one week to opt out of a plan that would turn every Echo speaker and Ring security camera in the US into a shared wireless network, as part of the company’s plan to fix connection problems for its smart home devices.”

This is how skype worked since day one. It is getting worse!

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#98 2021-06-04 20:49:08

bici
Website Mastodon

Add Bing AKA “Big Brother” to the mess that has become the InterNyet
“Bing, the search engine owned by Microsoft, is not displaying image results for a search for “Tank man,” even when searching from the United States. The apparent censorship comes on the anniversary of China’s violent crackdown on protests in Tiananmen Square in 1989.”

Last edited by bici (2021-06-04 20:49:41)

…. texted postive

#99 2021-06-11 06:27:26

element

About FLoC, ad tech firms already found ways to connect personal data to FLoC.

“The more signals we have, the more accurate we are, and FLoC IDs will be among signals we use,” said Mathieu Roche, CEO of identity tech firm ID5.

As ad tech firms test ways to connect Google’s FLoC to other data, privacy watchers see fears coming true

#100 2021-06-11 06:56:21

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

element wrote #330425:

As ad tech firms test ways to connect Google’s FLoC to other data, privacy watchers see fears coming true

yes, both sides of the fence are discovering the sometimes large (loop-)holes in Floc. And it is not pretty, altogether.

Eric Rescorla (Mozilla Foundation) today posted Privacy analysis of FLoC an article that takes a careful look at FLoC from the privacy watcher’s side.

Last edited by phiw13 (2021-06-11 06:57:17)

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#101 2021-06-22 21:47:28

bici
Website Mastodon

Just came here after using Brave Search

…. texted postive

#102 2021-06-23 02:27:45

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

bici wrote #330621:

Just came here after using Brave Search

How does stack up compared to DuckDuckGo? (assuming that is what you use… else, compared to your “normal” search engine).

From a quick look, I am not liking too much that you have to chose Dark Mode if your OS is already in Dark mode. Their theme selector then sets a cookie. Also, the fact that their analytics are opt-out at the moment makes me feel a bit uncomfortable. I see both as privacy violacions. The analytics is luckily clearly mentioned upfront, and as part of a Beta program might be halfway OK.

(offering a theme selector is not wrong, but if the browser broadcast a preference –Dark or Light mode– that should be respected automatically).

#103 2021-06-23 02:33:00

bici
Website Mastodon

i tried it out for a few searchers. But i prefer DuckDuckGo

a review

…. texted postive

#104 2021-06-23 02:34:10

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Meanwhile, google has some more anti-trust problems.

In the UK, CMA to have key oversight role over Google’s planned removal of third-party cookies the competition watchdog is uncomfortable with the current incarnation of Google proposed Privacy sandbox (including FloC). Other parties are afraid of not having the same access to tracking data as Google.

The EU also opened an anti-trust investigation on the same issue: Antitrust: Commission opens investigation into possible anticompetitive conduct by Google in the online advertising technology sector. Article on this at Ars Technica, EU launches antitrust probe into Google banning third-party cookies in Chrome

#105 2021-06-23 06:23:37

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

bici wrote #330623:

i tried it out for a few searchers. But i prefer DuckDuckGo

a review

Interesting review, thanks for that. Brave search is interesting so far, although much more per-country oriented than DDG. A search query in Spanish which should return at least two articles at the top first show me 3 or 4 barely related articles in US (En) based publications. DDG does better at that. Need to play more with it…

I also have to agree with that article, without an ad-blocker the top results for some more commercially oriented keywords in DDG are more often overtaken by “sponsored” content.

#106 2021-06-25 09:35:51

Destry
Website

I’m using FF with Invidition (auto twitter and youtube link replacement), uMatrix, UBlock Origin, and Privacy Badger extensions. I don’t know if that’s the best one can do, but it makes me feel a little better by all the shit they block and keep out of my sight. They all seem to work good together. I was using Self-Destructing Cookies, too, but it was sometimes annoying to have to re-log into sites I trusted every time (like here).

I know FF isn’t perfect, but I really don’t feel comfortable with any other browser for regular use. I’ve tried to like Tor Onion browser, but it’s just so slow, and half the websites on the web don’t work with it if you have the highest protections running, so what’s the point.

Firefox just seems to be the best compromise in a web where most every site relies on user accounts and advertising money—thus the need/desire to track you—and now even admit/reveal in detail how they do it (e.g. NYT), thanks to GDPR requirements, and makes near impossible hoops to jump through. E.g. passing the buck to advertiser gauntlets when wanting to opt out of being tracked by them—the ‘partners’—or making you have to uncheck each advertiser name (instead of an easy ‘uncheck all’ box) for a thousand partner blood suckers.

The best way do deal with most of the internet is simply not use it as much as possible and promote your own non-tracking websites that give visitors a better experience and more respect. There are a lot of people trying to do this, but they’re still just a small fringe compared to the masses of Facebook sheeple. It takes people willing to forego trying to make passive money from big tech advertising and affiliation scams.

Oh, out of nowhere… you know the kind of species that really makes me sick these days. Influencers. French society seems to love these people, or at least Paris. I fookin’ hate them and their ecosystems, and I don’t even follow any. Just the word and idea makes me boil. Social media bred that sludge. Sometimes I wish the big meteor would get here and hit dead center in silly con valley.

But I suppose we’re doing it to ourselves, and everything else, fast enough.

#107 2021-06-26 00:01:17

bici
Website Mastodon

Millions Choose Simple Privacy Protection with DuckDuckGo

and it is growing

…. texted postive

#108 2021-07-14 08:02:26

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

The battles about sweet cookies: privacy wars. DNT redux, but amplified multiple times.

(IOW that content blocker – trackers and ads – isn’t going away anytime soon)

Board footer