Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#85 2021-04-19 11:13:31

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Fook Google and its fookin' sheet

philwareham wrote #329899:

but you know it’s only a legitimate issue if you serve third party ads from your domain, right?

Do you have a trustable source for that ?

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#86 2021-04-19 11:38:44

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

phiw13 wrote #329903:

Do you have a trustable source for that ?

Sure, one of the guys that runs the project: github.com/WICG/floc/issues/45#issuecomment-781042491

#87 2021-04-19 11:43:16

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

philwareham wrote #329904:

Sure, one of the guys that runs the project: github.com/WICG/floc/issues/45#issuecomment-781042491

Not good enough, sorry.

#88 2021-04-19 11:48:12

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t trust Google and avoid as much of their services as much as possible, but unless Michael is flat-out lying publicly (which I doubt) then it seems legitimate.

#89 2021-04-19 12:04:28

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

I am not saying that person is lying, but like everything in googlespeak, words don’t necessarily cover what that they appear to mean. The history of data-covering (profiling and tracking) in google services is anything but reassuring. Those people manage to make Mike “We lied, we cheated, we stole” Pompeo (link at YT) an honest kinder-garden playground buddy (bully ?).

#90 2021-04-19 20:39:07

michaelkpate
Website GitHub Mastodon

Facebook is renewing its calls for Congress to create guidelines about how online services should make users’ data available to transfer to other platforms as it expands its own feature to do just that. Facebook announced Monday it’s expanding a tool that allows users to transfer their data to other services. Facebook will now enable users to transfer a copy of their posts and notes to Blogger, Google Docs and WordPress. The company already has a way for users to transfer their photos and videos to other services as well. – Facebook calls for data portability laws as it expands the types of info users can transfer to other services

I used to do things like autopost to Facebook from Twitter and Google Plus but since I don’t use either of those services anymore – and rarely post to Facebook – I am not sure how I would use this even if I wanted to.

#91 2021-05-01 18:14:09

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

It’s a quiet day at the forum today and for some strange reason I was thinking of WP which for the first time, I realised that it has become no different to Google or Facebook.

• Their site is one of the most visited sites in the world
  • They offer a free hosting platform that uses an excessive number of trackers that monetise the hosted sites and their visitors, to pay for the infrastructure, and possibly more.

In general, their practice has transformed into a mere open access one, which in reality it is not free, and is as far away from the open source ethos as it can get. Maybe we are lucky that we did not have to make those very difficult decisions.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#92 2021-05-29 23:23:32

bici
Website Mastodon

…. texted postive

#93 2021-05-31 16:15:56

bici
Website Mastodon

“Newly unredacted documents in a lawsuit against Google reveal that the company’s own executives and engineers knew just how difficult the company had made it for smartphone users to keep their location data private.”

what a clusterfick

…. texted postive

#94 2021-05-31 19:05:51

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Long life to my >10yo Symbian Nokia battery!

#95 2021-05-31 23:15:32

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

bici wrote #330333:

“Newly unredacted documents in a lawsuit against Google reveal that the company’s own executives and engineers knew just how difficult the company had made it for smartphone users to keep their location data private.”

what a clusterfick

Yes, yes, Android’s data gathering practices (and G’s) are are a marvellous thing.

A few days ago, all over the Europress (Elpais, lemonde, …) there was an item about the COVID exposure notification system leaving data (logs) accessible to system apps. G’s answer? oh, nothing just an important bug. won’t fix. (here).

(and some people want to trust vague promisses by G that their cohort profiling system –FLoC– only works when using G ads…)

My wife is very sad that here 15years old keitai completely died last year.

#96 2021-06-01 16:09:36

bici
Website Mastodon

it’s getting worse

::
“Amazon customers have one week to opt out of a plan that would turn every Echo speaker and Ring security camera in the US into a shared wireless network, as part of the company’s plan to fix connection problems for its smart home devices.”

…. texted postive

Board footer