Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#49 2021-04-10 09:12:18

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Re: Fook Google and its fookin' sheet

gaekwad wrote #329769:

Have you considered Chromium? It’s useful for testing against Blink rendering in something very close to Chrome, without the inherent Google-ness. I get my ‘unGoogled’ macOS build from here: chromium.woolyss.com

I use Brave with its tracking and ads prevention tools build in when I need to test & verify things on the Chromium/Blink rendering engine. How does that Chromium build differ from Brave ? Absolutely not married to that thing, it is just the least bad option I found for testing. I don’t like their business model (bitcoin scam…).

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#50 2021-04-10 09:26:57

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

phiw13 wrote #329770:

How does that Chromium build differ from Brave ?

No idea, to be frank. Same engine, different…engineers?

Pragmatically, I know that close to zero percent of people use Brave (or any other non-Chrome but Blink-y browser) in real life, and a billion more people use Chrome, so when I want to check that sites work well enough for the majority, I use Chromium since I’ve read from multiple sources that it does an OK job and seems to be at parity feature-wise with the latest Chrome, so it’s good enough for me.

I’m not a vocal activist or persuader by any stretch, at least not consciously, so consider this a single data point without any extra weight.

Last edited by gaekwad (2021-04-10 09:51:34)

#51 2021-04-10 10:16:04

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

gaekwad wrote #329772:

No idea, to be frank. Same engine, different…engineers?

Mostly, same rendering engine, different “paint look” (also known as the browser chrome: toolbars, toolbar buttons, and so on). All Blink/Chromium based browsers are at feature parity. So no differences as far as testing goes — only a personal preference of sort.

But do check out that Floc test too (amifloced )l I posted above . And repeat from time to time (I will too). Just out of curiosity to see when / how far that tracking will spread.

#52 2021-04-10 21:43:11

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Brave disabled FLoC

Last edited by gaekwad (2021-04-10 21:44:00)

#53 2021-04-11 00:01:26

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

gaekwad wrote #329775:

Brave disabled FLoC

Good. Let’s hope it comes quickly to a release build (and that G. doesn’t try to prevent it by modifying the core implementation).

#54 2021-04-15 11:37:53

Destry
Website

Even if you don’t use Chrome, FloC will exploit you as a website owner, apparently. One response to preventing it.

‘If you have access to the .htaccess file on your Apache server, you can edit it with this code to set your Permissions Policy:’

<IfModule mod_headers.c>
  Header always set Permissions-Policy: interest-cohort=()
</IfModule>

‘Frameworks and CMS providers that care about privacy should add this header by default.’

#55 2021-04-15 12:11:32

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Destry wrote #329833:

Frameworks and CMS providers that care about privacy should add this header by default.

That’s us, right? So do we set this in our default .htaccess? I’m game.

(related) Pete: being our resident Nginx guru, is there anything we can ship with our release bundles as examples of Nginx configuration files. Not just for this policy but in general. nginx-dist?

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#56 2021-04-15 12:22:26

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Destry wrote #329833:

Thanks for tip. Useful (something on the todo list for tomorrow).

Even if you don’t use Chrome, FloC will exploit you as a website owner, apparently. One response to preventing it.

Thats is not fully correct. What is happening is that Google (Chrome browser) will include any site in their profiling system unless that site has opted out. Still only affects users of the Chrome browser. Subject to change in the future, it seems, once the dust on their “spec” has settled.

Bloke wrote #329834:

Prolly won’t hurt, … But note that the whole ‘thing’ still might change.

Their “spec” is here. (

#57 2021-04-15 12:31:37

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

phiw13 wrote #329835:

Prolly won’t hurt, … But note that the whole ‘thing’ still might change.

Something to put on the @todo list when the dust settles then. However long that may take. If we do it, a salient .com article might be prudent, mentioning the change and highlighting ways that:

a) upgraders can implement the policy in their existing sites by copying stuff from the shipped .htaccess (assuming they’ve not overwritten it as part of the upgrade already), or;
b) new installs can opt out if they want Txp to leak this info to Dear Uncle Google and any interested advertising buddies.

An article like that would be good link juice.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#58 2021-04-15 13:01:42

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Bloke wrote #329836:

Something to put on the @todo list when the dust settles then. However long that may take.

A blog post or similar advertising way(s) to protect a site (its users) form the grubby hands of dear big brother™ would certainly not be wasted.

Note that the spec for that http header is (also… eh) still a draft (text here) and only Chromium/Blink supports it (check caniuse.com).

An article like that would be good link juice.

Certainly – and between the lines Textpattern team & community) can voice disapproval of the whole Floc show.

#59 2021-04-15 13:11:49

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Bloke wrote #329834:

We need to be VERY careful here. Textpattern enthusiast policy should not become de facto release policy.

We have a CMS that can be used for hosting malware, weaponised adtech & all kinds of other unsavoury stuff, should the site pilot decide to do that – and that’s honestly fine with me – but getting involved in advertising / tracking policies by default is sketchy ground and in my opinion extends our reach beyond a reasonable limit.

(related) Pete: being our resident Nginx guru, is there anything we can ship with our release bundles as examples of Nginx configuration files. Not just for this policy but in general. nginx-dist?

I’d be inclined to do a good article on .com, outlining the relevant how-to’s for each platform, and outlining our policy very clearly, rather than a blanket (or even commented) thing with headers in web server config files as part of our release bundles.

Last edited by gaekwad (2021-04-15 15:23:15)

#60 2021-04-15 13:18:55

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

phiw13 wrote #329835:

Subject to change in the future, it seems, once the dust on their “spec” has settled.

This is the pull quote I’m interested in. Much more appropriate to at least wait until this settes before we take an official line. My 2c.

Board footer