Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#37 2021-03-24 12:09:48

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: Fook Google and its fookin' sheet

phiw13 wrote #329428:

Do you have any doubt about what will happen?

Heh, I’m not holding my breath waiting. I might die.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#38 2021-03-24 22:24:45

bici
Website Mastodon

When will the full blown rebellion happen? When will the public rebel and kick facebook and google in the proverbial cojones.

There are many sites now that i will just not visit. overloaded with ad junk.

…. texted postive

#39 2021-03-25 02:29:10

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

bici wrote #329449:

When will the full blown rebellion happen?

Don’t hold your breath… might be painful. Next week that outrage will die down and everybody’s back to normal chatting till the next outrage. rinse and repeat. The plutocrats keep filling their bank accounts in fiscal paradises.

Remember that outrage back in what December 2020 when FB announced they would fully merge Whatsapp with their main tracking thing ? People were supposed to leave __en masse __. Guess what, Telegram traffic is back to what it was a few months earlier.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#40 2021-03-25 08:11:58

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

bici wrote #329449:

When will the public rebel and kick facebook and google in the proverbial cojones.

They won’t. We’re outliers, here. It would take something really special for an outlier to influence the public at large.

Facebook and / or Google will be replaced if / when something better comes along, and not because of any issue that peaks on a 24-hour news cycle. Google is so engrained in most people’s workflows that it’ll take many years to unpick that.

#41 2021-03-27 19:43:53

zero
Website

If anyone is confused about who is ruling the world, this article should make it quite clear that it isn’t government leaders. It’s not about whether you agree or disagree with what these Presidents are saying, but it’s about banning anyone’s free speech and opinion that might possibly interfere with the rulers’ agenda.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#42 2021-04-06 08:44:02

Destry
Website

gaekwad wrote #329421:

The End of AMP

And with that we can rename this thread (and correct the typo that’s been there forever).

And to mark the occasion, FLoC

I don’t know much about browser tech, but it seems like Chrome itself can now analyze your browsing behavior and serve that all neat and tidy as ‘cohorts’ to anyone who will gladly pay Google for it. And guess who that would be.

#43 2021-04-06 09:11:49

jakob
Admin
Website

Destry wrote #329676:

And with that we can rename this thread (and correct the typo that’s been there forever).

And to mark the occasion, FLoC

I don’t know much about browser tech, but it seems like Chrome itself can now analyze your browsing behavior and serve that all neat and tidy as ‘cohorts’ to anyone who will gladly pay Google for it. And guess who that would be.

More reasons to wean people off that browser!

What’s the state with Gmail? I always try and help people set up their own domain-based email, but many, many people use gmail and prefer it and whenever there’s an email hiccup with regular IMAP email for whatever reason, that’s what they return to…

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#44 2021-04-06 09:31:55

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

FLoC sounds fun. Not.

If automatic democratization is done at the browser level, I wonder if it can be circumvented to randomize which pot you’re put in?

Imagine a browser ‘helper’ (or even script, potentially) that just visits random sites on the internet. Like, totally random. Plucked from the web, based on absolutely nothing. Just generating a random stream of ‘clicks’ to sites at random intervals.

Would that be enough to mask your browsing habits? To put you in a different set of FloC bucket(s) and confuse advertisers into just delivering untargeted ads or at least ads based on what is perceived to be your browsing habits? Sounds like it’d work. Depends if it calculates and delivers FLoC IDs to advertisers from your actual history file and if that’s accessible to plugins when they generate clicks on your behalf.

I presume Big G have thought of that and made it impossible. In which case, I’m kinda glad that Chrome stopped working when I upgraded my Mac to Mojave. I uninstalled the damn browser and haven’t used it since.

Last edited by Bloke (2021-04-06 09:37:50)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#45 2021-04-06 09:35:51

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

jakob wrote #329679:

More reasons to wean people off that browser!

Yeah. Hearing from some people at Safari and Brave and it is probably worse that what is publicly know. But all nicely wrapped in lovely inclusive bla-bla double-plus good. Orwell feels unwell in his grave. It is probably much worse for Brave, tied as they are to the Blink rendering engine.

What’s the state with Gmail? I always try and help people set up their own domain-based email, but many, many people use gmail and prefer it and whenever there’s an email hiccup with regular IMAP email for whatever reason, that’s what they return to…

I try the same as you but then, so many servers block email from those “small-fish” domains. My wife has lots of problems using our co.jp domain email (hosted in Jpn, and emails addressed to .jp sites) – bouncing and vanishing. It is one reason why I still use Dreamhost for some of my own domains.

#46 2021-04-06 09:53:10

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

jakob wrote #329679:

Do you remember the post(s) here about being outliers, the small minority of people who are even aware of this stuff? That. I have four distinct groups of clients:

• “I want my email to work, and I don’t care how much it costs as long as it works and I never have to call you to fix it.” (they get Fastmail – affiliate link)
  • “I want my email to work because my entire work ecosystem lives in email & Excel, and I send huge attachments that take up gobs of storage space.” (they get Google Workspace – affiliate link)
  • “MS Office is my world and I love me some Outlook.” (they get Microsoft 365)
  • “I don’t care about any of this.” / “Email is gross.” / “I refuse to pay for technology.” \ “Stop calling me, Pete, we’re talked about this.” (they get ISP email or, if I’m feeling particularly impatient, I will suggest they use Yahoo! Mail.)

Close to zero percent of most business folks care about what Google, Microsoft, etc do with their email as long as it works and it is delivered. That’s it. I’ve had clients move from crappy hosting (e.g. Easily in the UK) to better hosting (e.g. Siteground), then the yearly invoice comes around with a whopping increase from the starter package (normal for Siteground, they don’t hide it), but since the experience of sending and receiving and getting support and so on is easier, it’s worth the $/£/€ spent for them.

I used to run reseller hosting for my clients, never made any money in the end, and I was single point of failure. I’m now notable with other tech people around here because I don’t look after hosting and email for people, I just hook them up with who I recommend and they pay directly. The flip of this is that if something does go south, and the provider isn’t being helpful, it’s way easier for me to jump in, fix it, and bill the client because it’s not my failure.

I’m possibly an outlier within this thread because I use Google search, albeit on devices and computers that have tools for blocking some or most of the tracking. I set up Google Workspace for clients, and it works really well. The dashboard can be a bit overwhelming for your average person, but that’s what nerds are for, right? Take the nerdiness and translate it.

Lots of people love Gmail. Let them use it for their email, they’re happy, you don’t need to worry about it. Obviously what you do with your own stuff, that’s your business.

#47 2021-04-10 08:05:30

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

EFF has a released a first tool to test if FloC is enabled in the browser.
It is interesting to see that I get a different message, depending on the browser.

Brave (FloC is not supposed to be turned on for now):

Your browser does not currently have FloC enabled.
The FLoC origin trial currently affects 0.5% of Chrome users, and it doesn’t look like you are one of them. Google may add to or change the set of users in the trial at any time. You can check back here to see if FLoC is turned on in the future.

Safari & Firefox:

Your browser does not have FloC enabled.
The FLoC origin trial only affects Google Chrome versions 89 and above.

I don’t have Google Chrome installed anywhere, of course.

#48 2021-04-10 08:51:21

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

phiw13 wrote #329768:

I don’t have Google Chrome installed anywhere, of course.

Have you considered Chromium? It’s useful for testing against Blink rendering in something very close to Chrome, without the inherent Google-ness. I get my ‘unGoogled’ macOS build from here: chromium.woolyss.com

Board footer