Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#109 2021-01-09 12:25:20

decode

Re: soo_image: simple yet powerful image tags

Hi there,

Currently playing around with soo_image in a fresh Textpattern install (version 4.8.3), everything works fine, except I can’t get soo_exif to output anything. PHP 7.3 is compiled with EXIF Support enabled.

Following the examples on jsoo’s site I get the following errors calling soo_exif from the soo_image form.

Tag error: <txp:soo_exif /> ->  Warning: exif_read_data(): Filename cannot be empty while parsing form soo_image on page default
Tag error: <txp:soo_exif /> ->  Warning: extract() expects parameter 1 to be array, bool given while parsing form soo_image on page default

Last edited by decode (2021-01-09 12:28:29)

#110 2021-01-09 15:00:34

jsoo
Plugin Author
Website

The tag needs a full file path to work, and only works with image files stored in the image directory as set in site preferences. The file can be identified by ID, by name, or by context (e.g., article image). Please show me some more code if you still have trouble.

Code is topiary

#111 2021-01-09 16:31:36

decode

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your reply! Just for testing purposes, I provide an image context using soo_image_select as container tag on a page selecting a single picture with id. The image, uploaded through the admin UI before, resides in Textpattern’s images folder.

<txp:soo_image_select id="1">
    <txp:soo_image />
    <txp:soo_exif />
</txp:soo_image_select>

The image is displayed correctly, but no Exif data and the above Tag error remains.

Btw, reading up on how to use Textpattern values in a txp:php block, I was able to parse the picture’s metadata by invoking exif_read_data() directly using soo_image_url (or Txp’s own image_url) and it works fine (the example code pulls the whole unformatted data-block, oc).

<txp:php>
$exif = exif_read_data(parse('<txp:soo_image_url id="1" />'), 0, true);
foreach ($exif as $key => $section) {
    foreach ($section as $name => $val) {
        echo "$key.$name: $val<br />\n";
    }
}
</txp:php>

Last edited by decode (2021-01-09 16:50:59)

#112 2021-01-09 17:15:39

jsoo
Plugin Author
Website

OK, I think the issue is that soo_image_url and soo_exif don’t use the same code for building the URL. The former uses the Txp constant hu for the base URL, but the latter uses $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT']. Possibly I had a reason for doing so, but I don’t recall.

If you don’t mind, please find the following line:

$img_dir_path = $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] . "/$img_dir/";

and replace it with:

$img_dir_path = hu . $img_dir .'/';

and see if that fixes the issue for you.

Code is topiary

#113 2021-01-10 18:52:08

decode

Modifying the $img_dir_path variable didn’t help, but thanks to your hint, I may have found the underlying problem: I was running Textpattern from a subdirectory. Moving my install to the root folder solved any issues and txp:soo_exif now returns Exif tags correctly.

Fiddling around with the image path variables I’ve found that $img_dir_path is never fully formed because $img_dir doesn’t return anything. Shouldn’t it return the path of Textpattern’s images folder set in the preferences tab? I think a similar issue has been discussed here. Maybe @bloke can help shed some light on this?

Thanks for your time, Jeff.

Last edited by decode (2021-01-10 18:52:43)

#114 2021-01-10 19:00:08

jsoo
Plugin Author
Website

decode wrote #328121:

Fiddling around with the image path variables I’ve found that $img_dir_path is never fully formed because $img_dir doesn’t return anything. Shouldn’t it return the path of Textpattern’s images folder set in the preferences tab?

Yes, that’s the intent, hence hu . $img_dir . '/' should work even for a subdirectory installation. $img_dir clearly is returning the correct result, otherwise you would be getting the error again. While fiddling around did you remember to declare global $img_dir;?

Code is topiary

Board footer