Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2019-05-08 11:27:44

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

ecosia search

I thought that the ecosia search engine might be of interest. Their info page explains why.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#2 2019-05-08 15:15:27

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Re: ecosia search

What a cool idea. Will give it a whirl. Thanks for sharing.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#3 2019-05-08 16:58:44

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Bloke wrote #317930:

What a cool idea. Will give it a whirl. Thanks for sharing.

Just a warning… The results seem to be taken from bing. I nevertheless like the idea too though.

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#4 2019-05-08 19:25:34

bici
Website Mastodon

now installed on Safari

…. texted postive

#5 2019-06-04 11:58:00

Destry
Website

I have now planted 3 trees, apparently, somewhere.

Come on number 4!

#6 2019-06-04 12:06:22

Destry
Website

Btw, I’m learning about hypercentres and their role in ICT efficiencies in relation to Internet impacts on climate. While it doesn’t excuse them for being growth economies, I’m nevertheless happier knowing Facebook, Google, and Apple are 100% renewable-energy driven and have been for a while. I didn’t realize that, admittedly.

Twitter, on the other hand, and a number of other well-known streamers of fat media, are still powered by fossil energy, so if you needed another excuse to kill your Twitter account, etc, that’s as good as it gets.

#7 2020-12-14 23:14:34

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

AppleInsider reports that Ecosia is “ now a default search engine option on iOS, iPadOS, macOS” (in Safari). You need to upgrade to macOS 11.1.

No more need for an extension.

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#8 2020-12-15 00:46:56

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

phiw13 wrote #327507:

AppleInsider reports that Ecosia is “ now a default search engine option on iOS, iPadOS, macOS” (in Safari).

Great news! I’ve been using Ecosia almost exclusively since Yiannis posted the link, and set it as my default search engine on any browser. Got a bunch of trees to my name on various devices, which feels good. And watched the worldwide planting counter hit the 100 million mark a few months back, which was a great milestone.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

#9 2020-12-15 00:58:03

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

Confirming it is there: l-c-n.com/_b/ecosia-safari14.0.2.png

Bloke wrote #327511:

Great news! I’ve been using Ecosia almost exclusively since Yiannis posted the link, and set it as my default search engine on any browser. Got a bunch of trees to my name on various devices, which feels good. And watched the worldwide planting counter hit the 100 million mark a few months back, which was a great milestone.

yes! Now if people would check and use those options, that would be even better.

#10 2021-02-07 10:13:38

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

After using Ecosia – from the Safari search bar – for a couple of weeks, I am a little disappointed in that they don’t seem to “trust” me, or seem to filter out quite a bit1:

• 3, 4 times in the past week showing me a capcha after reaching page 4 or so.
  • multiple (many) times seeing the Cloudflare “we’re checking your browser blab blab…” page
  • quite a few times not finding what I expect (something that appears on page 1 in DDG)

On the flip side it is better than DDG at returning world-wide results, that is something at least.

–^–

1 not that DDG is all that squaeky clean, but they are certainly less agressive

#11 2021-02-07 10:43:23

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

phiw13 wrote #328591:

After using Ecosia for a couple of weeks, I am a little disappointed in that they don’t seem to “trust” me

In the last week or so, things have changed for the worse and I don’t know why, nor if it’s specific to ecosia. I get the “we’re checking your browser” thing a lot more now. Quite why whatever service needs to ‘check my browser’ every time I put in a URL, I’m not sure. Surely once it’s checked it (for what?) all’s good?

I routinely get the captcha thing, but only if I’m on the VPN. Sometimes I’ll just get the tick box, other times I’ll have to solve the riddle of the blurry photos and be asked things like “click all the picture containing a bus” and have that dilemma when they throw in a picture of a coach as to whether it qualifies as “a bus” or not. Yesterday I had one where I had to click all “the bicycles” and in one photo the only thing visible was a guy holding up the front wheel. Is that “a bicycle”? But I digress.

Regarding filtering, the default is “moderate” and to filter things from my closest region (presumably by geo/IP, which is irritating and pointless if I’m on a VPN). Annoying when doing social posts for clients, since I’m usually in Private Browsing mode (in Firefox: no good in Safari since every tab is its own silo) so I can log into their gmail and then use social login to get to the rest of their accounts, without bothering to log out of any of my personal accounts. So when I’m hunting for images and content to use on social posts I need to remember to reset the search parameters every time.

So, yeah, not ideal.

#12 2021-02-07 11:40:33

zero
Website

My experience is different. I don’t get any captchas, but I have my hosts file tweaked for the G and FB protection, so I can’t visit those sites or their subsites. I have trouble with images though – I often get a message saying that search term can’t be fulfilled, try again later (or words to that effect).

Last edited by zero (2021-02-07 11:42:48)

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

Board footer