Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#25 2020-12-12 15:43:23

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Re: Gemini

While I wait for three servers to build, I figured it would be a good time to have a look into this from a web ops perspective since it’s been on my to-do list for a bit. Man, it’s like gopher from way back when!

I get that the project wants people to get involved, but it would be much more straightforward for a server ops person to find out what’s involved if the server entry requirements were on the web, and not in gemini-space.

See gemini.circumlunar.space/docs/faq.html, excerpted below:

3.3 How can I put some content of my own in Geminspace?

Of course, one option is to set up your own Gemini server on a VPS or a computer in your home (small SBCs like the RaspberryPi are perfectly capable of acting as Gemini servers). You can find a list of server software at gemini://gemini.circumlunar.space/software/.

OK, so, now I need to run a Gemini client in order to read the server-side details to see whether it’s viable and how to go about it. Guh.

To any Gemini person(s) involved with marketing etc: consider putting gemini://gemini.circumlunar.space/software/ on the open web. You might not like search engine vendors much, but the barrier to entry was nearly too high for me as a server person. Make it public, grow your ecosystem.

I’ll wait until the server software has matured a bit before looking at it, I think. Nice idea, but not for now.

#26 2020-12-12 15:54:56

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

bici wrote #327421:

I have found that over 60% of websites are bloat.

I highly recommend a system-wide ad blocker, it makes the web much more usable, and I say that using a 2012 Mac mini with Mojave as my daily driver. My preferred choice is Adguard, with Pi Hole doing its thing for all devices.

Adguard has reportedly blocked ~70GB of junk: i.imgur.com/1FQIP03.png
Pi Hole blocks around 10-15% of all requests of a typical day: i.imgur.com/dgWAF1c.png

The only downside to the Pi Hole stuff is other members of the household insisting on clicking Google ad results (sigh) and it needing to be disabled for a few seconds while that happens. Easily fixed with a browser shortcut and enough of a bum ache to eventually (hopefully) stop the ad clicking.

#27 2020-12-12 18:44:02

bici
Website Mastodon

gaekwad wrote #327442:

I highly recommend a system-wide ad blocker, it makes the web much more usable, and I say that using a 2012 Mac mini with Mojave as my daily driver. My preferred choice is Adguard, with Pi Hole doing its thing for all devices.

Thank-you. That is much better! I used to have Ghostery but then deleted it when bought out.

…. texted postive

#28 2020-12-13 01:33:08

Destry
Website

gaekwad wrote #327441:

OK, so, now I need to run a Gemini client in order to read the server-side details to see whether it’s viable and how to go about it. Guh.

Yeah, that wasn’t the smartest move on the founder’s part. Nor is the list of gemini browsers on the clients list page complete. For example it doesn’t include the two for macOS pointed out in this thread — Lagrange (which I will try at some point) and Felicity (in Apple store, which I can’t use on my late 2011 mbp) — and I’d think if you wanted more than just linux heads to have a look, you’d point those other pathways out.

But it’s early, and I’m sure someone not affiliated with the project is keeping better docs somewhere. It always happens.

#29 2020-12-13 08:16:56

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Destry wrote #327449:

For example it doesn’t include the two for macOS pointed out in this thread — Lagrange (which I will try at some point) […].

That was the one I used for the quick test. Works just fine, and has the distinct advantage of me not having to pollute my environment with Homebrew and other layers of stuff.

But it’s early, and I’m sure someone not affiliated with the project is keeping better docs somewhere. It always happens.

Oh, yeah. In hindsight I was being overly grumpy while I was waiting for a server IP address to be removed from a third-party block list.

#30 2020-12-13 09:39:23

Destry
Website

gaekwad wrote #327451:

has the distinct advantage of me not having to pollute my environment with Homebrew and other layers of stuff.

Besides being the only client I can use, seemingly, I was happy that Homebrew would install it. ;)

I’ve had to rely on Homebrew for MySQL installs, which I probably would not have managed without it. I’m not a systems administrator by any stretch.

I should probably read your Txp docs for local dev setups. Where are those? ;)

#31 2020-12-13 10:44:48

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Destry wrote #327457:

I should probably read your Txp docs for local dev setups. Where are those? ;)

Currently: /Volumes/SSD/Users/pete/projects/_someday/textpattern-scratch/

Perhaps ironically, one of the servers I’m building is for my own sites (projects), so there’s a higher chance something will materialise. I daresay going through my post history may show similar good intentions this time of year, then Real Life gets in the way and things…get…slow.

#32 2021-02-26 11:19:16

Destry
Website

Elaho is a gemini browser for iPhone. I’m using it on my iP6. Seems to work good. Easy to read all the gemini stuff now. (If you install Elaho, FF will route you accordingly when clicking gemini links.)

There are also people in the fedi offering free gemini spaces (pods?), for example, so you can test it out without having to set up a capsule yourself.

And here is a growing index of capsules, gemini://medusae.space.

Last edited by Destry (2021-02-26 11:21:10)

#33 2021-03-29 06:45:53

Destry
Website

Not sure what else is involved with this, exactly, but, How to write a [gemini] static site generator in 30 lines or less.

Short article.

By the way, I’m not trying to sell/push gemini on you. Just keeping the more interesting links in one place in case anyone might want to explore it.

I still find it curious and would tinker with something if I can figure out my own server side of it. It might be a good way to publish environmental doom material, for example. :/ The kinds of things one is hesitant to share on the faceplate, as it were.

#34 2021-05-19 12:36:57

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

gaekwad wrote #327442:

Stopping in to say there’s a deal on AdGuard at the moment via StackSocial:

stacksocial.com/sales/adguard-family-plan-lifetime-subscription

$29.99 gets you a lifetime family (i.e. max 9-devices) license. Given I was cautious when I started out with AdGuard years ago and bought single device licenses (at ~$30 each), this is a really good price.

If you get a license via StackSocial above, the email you use needs to be new to AdGuard – that is to say, you cannot have an existing account with AdGuard with the email you’re using. When you buy the deal (as I did), you will receive an email from StackSocial with a redemption code, which you then take to AdGuard to activate. You will need to make an account with AdGuard in order to redeem the code. From there, you can start using AdGuard as you would expect: download the software, sign in with your AdGuard account, and away you go.

Advice: StackSocial can be a bit spammy if you’re not careful. You are signed up to a daily newsletters of…well, all kinds of stuff. You can unsubscribe easily enough, but you have to be patient for it to be processed.

Edit: Ignore this bit below – leaving in for completeness.

Final shilling part: it’s possible you may be able to save $10 on the above price if you use this “give $10, get $10” link:

-stacksocial.com/sales/adguard-family-plan-lifetime-subscription/?rid=10417011-

Please note: this is an affiliate link. I may get $10 in my account and you may get $10 off. You can confirm in your basket before you check out. I haven’t tested the $10 stuff, I’m just going from the StackSocial referral page info.

I think that covers it. Here’s my latest AdGuard status thingy for your info:

Last edited by gaekwad (2021-05-19 20:58:07)

#35 2021-05-19 15:51:46

bici
Website Mastodon

gaekwad wrote #330198:

Stopping in to say there’s a deal on AdGuard at the moment via StackSocial:

Final shilling part: it’s possible you may be able to save $10 on the above price if you use this “give $10, get $10” link:

stacksocial.com/sales/adguard-family-plan-lifetime-subscription/?rid=10417011

Please note: this is an affiliate link. I may get $10 in my account and you may get $10 off. You can confirm in your basket before you check out. I haven’t tested the $10 stuff, I’m just going from the StackSocial referral page info.

i bought. hope you get the 10$ fee as an affiliate

…. texted postive

#36 2021-05-19 20:42:10

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

bici wrote #330199:

i bought. hope you get the 10$ fee as an affiliate

Thanks, bici! Did you get the $10 off your purchase?

Board footer