Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2020-11-27 10:27:38

Destry
Website

Re: Gemini

bici wrote #327065:

why not just write occasionally on Wion.Com . That is already setup. With a very cool design and layout. Perhaps it can be made Gemini friendly, whatever that might mean.

I’ve recently started doing that with the new Notes section, mostly because of a sense of obligation than desire, but I’m already feeling hesitant to continue with it that way if I’m going to switch to gemini.

jakob wrote #327069:

Yes, what bici wrote! Maybe you can “echo” your blog writings to Gemini?

If what you mean is maintain two blogs of redundant content, Yipes! No. I’d think there would be more thought than that behind why and for who respective to protocol.

Otherwise, though, the readership on gemini is probably/currently very restricted.

That does make me think of family back in the states. They like to read anything I write, no matter what the hell it’s about. But the gemini barrier would be too big of one.

On the other hand, my other half is my worst/best critic that tends to make me not want to post anything. Maybe a gemini link in cognito is good for that situation. Like the man’s den, or garage, something.

A curious situation happened to me recently. My oldest has a friend at school who looked me up on the web to see what he could find, no doubt to rib my son about. He didn’t find much (all socmed accounts deleted) but he read my About page, and while it’s pretty harmless, he made a point of laughing at the fact I liked Cousteau as a kid. That this concerned my child and not me directly put me on guard, to say the least, and was a bit of an eye opener. So, gemini might be useful there, too.

The sad thing about always being worried about what to reveal in narrative particularly, and any good narrative writer (and publishing house) knows this, is that writing about real life is what readers love most; it’s what touches the soul and rings familiar. Where the humanity really is. A lot of good bloggers from back in the day are long gone off the web (or from this world) because of what it has become, a veritable land mine, too dangerous to reveal too much honesty.

The plus side may be you make more meaningful connections, but it will likely be less diverse.

I don’t write for connections (unless someone wants to hire me). That’s why I don’t use comments. Rants, raves, and questions via email are always accepted, though.

I like mastodon for some of the same reasons – firstly, that it’s not run by twitter and secondly that there’s room for diversity – but I have to say, in my circle of connections at least, there is a more alternative crowd but it’s also actually (in my perception) less diverse. There’s still more intersections of diverse interests and chance discoveries to be had on Twitter, you just have to wade through quite a bit of noise in-between.

This strays from the topic a bit, but I hear you and agree. That’s why I like it though. And for the few interactions I do have there, they are considerably more intelligent, polite, and sincere — most of the time. I wouldn’t dare talk about climate or politics on birdsite, for example, because it instantly blows up and derails by the expected knee-jerk, ill-mannered responses you get from fanatics with agendas and other louts of earth with nothing better to do.

If the fediverse became my comments, that would be fine, but it’s not an objective. I currently sometimes use it as a way to bounce ideas to write more about elsewhere. My fedi posts auto-descruct after 100 anyway. ;)

Only if you leave it to the youngsters. I’d say that’s all the more reason to have a blog at your age ;-) (by which I mean our). Besides, the youngfluencers of today just use video.

True about the craze for video, but again that’s really only on centralized exploitation platforms like YT and driven by capitalism.

Youth on fediverse are much more inclined for text blogs, like gemini.

Writing is still a valued craft.

No question there. The question is, really, why is one compelled to do it and how. That likely has many responses. Some roads less traveled than others.

You can, of course, leave out what might be too private and not publish what might be too copyright-worthy. But there’s a big space in-between.

Yep.

I always appreciate your thoughts, J, and the counter notions you often provide. It’s one of the reasons I value this forum. You’re helping me get to a decision.

Last edited by Destry (2020-11-28 11:24:57)

#14 2020-11-27 12:01:04

jakob
Admin
Website

Destry wrote #327088:

I always appreciate your thoughts, J, and the counter notions you often provide. It’s one of the reasons I value this forum. You’re helping me get to a decision.

And you know I’m like your mother, except with (perhaps) better eyesight!

And I meant, like Stef suggested, one source that you also publish to gemini. I’ll write you a note on the personal stuff offline.

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#15 2020-11-27 12:32:17

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Bloke wrote #327072:

my little fuck-you to the ridiculous algorithms

Say you’re a woman, that’ll really throw them off the scent.

#16 2020-11-27 12:47:54

Destry
Website

jakob wrote #327093:

I’ll write you a note on the personal stuff offline.

Thank you. Just don’t send it to my old first@domain.tld address. That is dead to me. Hit me via the forum or my contact form and you’ll get the right new one. ;)

#17 2020-11-27 15:33:11

jakob
Admin
Website

gaekwad wrote #327098:

Say you’re a woman, that’ll really throw them off the scent.

That’s a in-joke, right? (cue Australian redhead)

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#18 2020-11-27 15:48:26

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

jakob wrote #327107:

(cue Australian redhead)

As fond as I am of redheads, Australian or otherwise, it was actually a reference to the different spending habits of each gender. Having done some targeted ad work a while back, some clients will target all (or the vast majority of) their ad spend on one gender, and it’s a markedly different experience ad-wise if you identify as a gender over another.

…and now I’m back to looking at curly redheads on Yandex Images. Ahem.

#19 2020-11-27 16:36:49

Destry
Website

Don’t use the word gender in the fediverse. Just sayin’. :)

#20 2020-11-27 18:05:42

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

Destry wrote #327111:

Don’t use the word gender in the fediverse. Just sayin’. :)

Underlying / background radiation levels of misanthropy has given me a very low tolerance of any social media. I with you all well in the fediverse (whether or not you identify with a given gender), but it’s not for me.

#21 2020-11-28 11:38:45

Destry
Website

Destry wrote #327088:

My fedi posts auto-descruct after 100 anyway. ;)

An observation worth pointing out, I think, at the risk of derailing focus, is the fact that Twitter increased its character allowance after Mastodon (500 chars by default) rapidly picked up a million users early on. And I hear Twitter is now going to allow self destructing tweets too. Talk about too little too late.

Seems clear to me that while Mastodon software may not be perfect (none is), it went a long way to bring the principles of decentralization and socmed privacy control to more of the collective conscientiousness. Still a long way to go.

Last edited by Destry (2020-11-28 11:40:45)

#22 2020-12-11 07:24:18

Destry
Website

I’m trying to get a list of ten or so interesting (subjective, I know) blogs together having gemini content. If you come across any, please share.

Here’s a mixed http/gemini one by DeVault. The gemini articles are more recent and indicated by ‘[What is gemini]’ after the titles.

P.S. A post about gemini written for regular http reading. It seems a fresh perspective on it. I can’t argue with his pessimist outlook of most web content.

Last edited by Destry (2020-12-11 07:40:24)

#23 2020-12-11 21:31:30

bici
Website Mastodon

Thanks Destry. Gemini sure sounds interesting. I was a Gopher user and content provider for a couple of years back in the day I even met with some of the Gopher development guys at a couple of conferences.

So far it is not clear to me how i would deploy Gemini on my web hosting company. Do i have to get them to install it?

But overall i am no longer wanting to publish anything. i have shutdown 3 websites recently. 1 of mine and the other 2 that i no longer want to maintain. i sent the clients off to search for someone else to maintain their websites. 1 never bothered, and settled for a simple one page ad.

I agree with what Drew wrote: “The problem is unsolvable. We cannot have the “web” without all of these problems”

I have found that over 60% of websites are bloat. Some sites even crash my browsers. i have very little patience left. If publishers have to rely on intrusive code that causes browsers to crash due to code heavy advertisements, videos, intrusive pop-ups, and on and on, than web the model has come to its knees. It’s broken, at least for mnay of us.

I hope Gemeni has legs and will de adopted by more people esp. writers.

PS this whole forcing of sites to convert to https by google is annyoying. There lots of sites that should remain perfectly fine as http , But no goolge deems them to be DANGEROUS! Fooking Goop! </rant>

…. texted postive

#24 2020-12-12 13:53:19

Destry
Website

bici wrote #327421:

I hope Gemeni has legs and will de adopted by more people esp. writers.

I suspect it will attract tinkerers and rebels, mostly, be they writers or anyone else. And that might be good enough.

Board footer