Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#151 2020-10-13 16:07:44

philwareham
Core designer
Website

Re: WebFaction joins GoDaddy

I use TsoHost for some of my hosting – I had no idea they were part of GoDaddy until now.

“Paragon (TsoHost) was acquired by Host Europe Group in 2015, only to be swallowed by American hosting giant GoDaddy for $1.8bn in 2017.”

Bah!

#152 2020-10-13 19:10:47

bici
Website

So they are now planning on migrating folks to tsoHost. Last year they were planning of migrating folks to GoDaddy. So ongoing uncertainty.
So far i am very happy on Opalstack

The internet is increasingly becoming a place i don’t enjoy being part of.

…. texted postive

#153 2020-10-14 06:05:32

gaekwad
Admin

As a former user and recommender of tsoHost – avoid. I have an agency client who moved his clients over to tsoHost prior to the GoDaddy acquisition, he’s on a managed service with them. The support staff are overworked, the technical responsiveness is going downhill, and the only thing keeping him on there is the pricing, which is low.

For what it’s worth, I’m using SiteGround (affiliate link – $/€/£/¥ goes towards running our servers) for non-DIY hosting & clients at the moment, they’re fine. One of the selling points is their UI and a Wordpress plugin they have for migrating sites into SiteGround, that’s very good and saves vast amounts of manual work.

#154 2020-10-17 17:27:32

colak
Admin
Website

Hi all,
I have been very busy with a number of thankless jobs at the time I received the email from Webfaction. Admittedly, we opted to stay there after it was sold as their support remained the same. Our experience with them was excellent. The forced migration though is leaving us very unhappy as I actually did hear from many people beyond this forum that Tsohost support sucks. Migrating is that last thing I have time for just now, but I need to do it so here it goes.

I’m looking for a comparable host to Webfaction. That is, one that can offer various php versions starting from 5.4, although 5.6 may work, to the latest supported one. I’m planning to host a number of urls there, including our NGO’s one as well as our personal ones, but I also want the possibility of the creation of subdomains.

chemicloud which I have mentioned here once before looks good and their offer for a three year contract looks very cheap. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Yiannis
——————————
neme.org | hblack.net | LABS | State Machines | NeMe @ github | Covid-19; a resource
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#155 2020-10-17 17:44:28

bici
Website

colak wrote #326451:

I have been very busy with a number of thankless jobs at the time I received the email from Webfaction.

there is never a good time … esp. when we are happy rolling along..

I’m looking for a comparable host to Webfaction.

Opalstack was born on the ashes of Webfaction. Two former employees of webfaction started OpalStack. I love their minimalist Admin Panel. Support has been outstanding. I would recommend you look them over:

“Professional tools including WordPress, LetsEncrypt, PHP 5.6, 7.4, & 8.0, and more”

As you have use of your space i believe it would be trivial for you to install PHP 5.4. or have support make it available.

They have a free 14 trial if you have the time to play in that sandbox.

Best of luck with your move wherever you decide to go.

…. texted postive

#156 2020-10-17 17:57:59

bici
Website

PS if you wish to consider Opalstack see this OpalStack forum thread

…. texted postive

#157 2020-10-18 02:55:04

colak
Admin
Website

bici, Thanks so much for pointing me to that forum thread. I see that they are using MariaDB, which I know that it is unofficially supported by txp, but old dogs are hard to change. I feel more comfortable with Mysql.

Yiannis
——————————
neme.org | hblack.net | LABS | State Machines | NeMe @ github | Covid-19; a resource
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#158 2020-10-18 06:37:46

bici
Website

colak wrote #326456:

bici, Thanks so much for pointing me to that forum thread. I see that they are using MariaDB, which I know that it is unofficially supported by txp, but old dogs are hard to change. I feel more comfortable with Mysql.

?? i saw no issue with my TxP and EE sites under MariaDB

“MariaDB: Since MariaDB is a fork of MySQL, the database structure and indexes of MariaDB are the same as MySQL. This allows you to switch from MySQL to MariaDB without having to alter your applications since the data and data structures will not need to change.”

But i cede to more knowledgeable people on this issue.

…. texted postive

#159 2020-10-18 07:36:54

zero
Website

Like bici, I’ve been using MariaDB for a long time. I did not need to do anything at all different from MySQL. It’s MySQL with knobs on.

Wondrous Healing Wondrous ways to a healthy old age
Safe Reiki Harmless natural healing.
Gud One Blog

#160 2020-10-18 09:26:14

Bloke
Developer
Website

MariaDB should be fine with the following caveat: at the moment.

As development diverges, things may change between the platforms, but as it stands they are broadly compatible for what we use it for in Textpattern.

Since we mopped up the version number comparison issues in 4.6/4.7 that broke due to MariaDB’s numbering scheme, and have done work in 4.8 to support MySQL 8, we’re in good shape.

Just gotta hope that PHP don’t deprecate mysqli or we’ll be forced to migrate to PDO, with all the baggage it brings.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

Board footer