Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#145 2019-12-02 19:18:06

bici
Website Mastodon

Re: WebFaction joins GoDaddy

michaelkpate wrote #320349:

I assume they were going for “Admin” with “er” on the end.

But I think they should have done more Market Research.

Admind would work Admin DB

…. texted postive

#146 2020-01-06 20:02:49

bici
Website Mastodon

update. OPALSTACK is the cat’s pyjamas. if you are considering using it use this link as it’s my referral link

…. texted postive

#147 2020-01-23 03:03:02

mistersugar
Website

I have finally moved off WebFaction and am fully set up on Opalstack.

#148 2020-01-23 03:35:43

bici
Website Mastodon

mistersugar wrote #321287:

I have finally moved off WebFaction and am fully set up on Opalstack.

note they also have a community forum .. W00t!

…. texted postive

#149 2020-07-16 23:29:25

bici
Website Mastodon

just in case anyone is looking for a super coo hosting platform. some neat new offerings from opalstack.

…. texted postive

#150 2020-10-13 15:49:05

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

I know I have been silent recently and my apologies for that. It’s been relentless.

This might be of interest.

We are writing to let you know about updates to the WebFaction migration plan. We expect the migration of WebFaction customers to tsoHost to be complete by the end of June 2021.

Please note, TsoHost and WebFaction are a part of Paragon Internet Group Limited. TsoHost is a UK provider of hosting, domains, email, VPS and dedicated servers. Both WebFaction and tsoHost are part of the GoDaddy group.

How will the migration happen?

We have planned the migration to roll out in two parts, which will happen together, beginning in November 2020 and continuing until end of June 2021. As you migrate to tsoHost, here is what to expect:

1. Customer accounts – Customer profile (name and contact details) information from WebFaction will be used to create your account on tsoHost.

2. Websites & email – Your websites and email will migrate from WebFaction to tsoHost.

As a new tsoHost customer, all your hosting, billing, and support will now come through tsoHost. Once your new account is created you will need to login to tsoHost and add payment details for service continuation.

We will update you with a 30-day advance notice to let you know what changes are coming and when to expect them. Until then, please continue to access your account as normal.

What do I have to do?

Very little. We plan to handle the migration for you, but please note some accounts will be unable to migrate. If we are unable to migrate your account, you will receive a separate communication with further details.

Before work begins, we’ll email you the latest information and include details on the steps and processes involved.

When will changes start to take place?

Further purchases through WebFaction will be unavailable after 14 October 2020.

Migrations will start in November 2020 and continue until the end of June 2021.

What are my options?

If do not want to move to tsoHost please contact the customer service team before October 31st to opt-out of migration.

Opted out sites will be cancelled on December 9th 2020.

When will the platform close?

The WebFaction platform and any sites that were not migratable will be closed near the end of March 2021. Any websites not migrated will have unused fees automatically refunded to the account holder within 45 days of product closure. Please contact WebFaction support if any issues arise.

Where can I find out more information?

We will update https://www.webfaction.com/ website with additional information, timelines and migration process overview during the coming weeks, please check for the latest updates.

Regards,

The WebFaction Team

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#151 2020-10-13 16:07:44

philwareham
Core designer
Website GitHub Mastodon

I use TsoHost for some of my hosting – I had no idea they were part of GoDaddy until now.

“Paragon (TsoHost) was acquired by Host Europe Group in 2015, only to be swallowed by American hosting giant GoDaddy for $1.8bn in 2017.”

Bah!

#152 2020-10-13 19:10:47

bici
Website Mastodon

So they are now planning on migrating folks to tsoHost. Last year they were planning of migrating folks to GoDaddy. So ongoing uncertainty.
So far i am very happy on Opalstack

The internet is increasingly becoming a place i don’t enjoy being part of.

…. texted postive

#153 2020-10-14 06:05:32

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

As a former user and recommender of tsoHost – avoid. I have an agency client who moved his clients over to tsoHost prior to the GoDaddy acquisition, he’s on a managed service with them. The support staff are overworked, the technical responsiveness is going downhill, and the only thing keeping him on there is the pricing, which is low.

For what it’s worth, I’m using SiteGround (affiliate link – $/€/£/¥ goes towards running our servers) for non-DIY hosting & clients at the moment, they’re fine. One of the selling points is their UI and a Wordpress plugin they have for migrating sites into SiteGround, that’s very good and saves vast amounts of manual work.

#154 2020-10-17 17:27:32

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

Hi all,
I have been very busy with a number of thankless jobs at the time I received the email from Webfaction. Admittedly, we opted to stay there after it was sold as their support remained the same. Our experience with them was excellent. The forced migration though is leaving us very unhappy as I actually did hear from many people beyond this forum that Tsohost support sucks. Migrating is that last thing I have time for just now, but I need to do it so here it goes.

I’m looking for a comparable host to Webfaction. That is, one that can offer various php versions starting from 5.4, although 5.6 may work, to the latest supported one. I’m planning to host a number of urls there, including our NGO’s one as well as our personal ones, but I also want the possibility of the creation of subdomains.

chemicloud which I have mentioned here once before looks good and their offer for a three year contract looks very cheap. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#155 2020-10-17 17:44:28

bici
Website Mastodon

colak wrote #326451:

I have been very busy with a number of thankless jobs at the time I received the email from Webfaction.

there is never a good time … esp. when we are happy rolling along..

I’m looking for a comparable host to Webfaction.

Opalstack was born on the ashes of Webfaction. Two former employees of webfaction started OpalStack. I love their minimalist Admin Panel. Support has been outstanding. I would recommend you look them over:

“Professional tools including WordPress, LetsEncrypt, PHP 5.6, 7.4, & 8.0, and more”

As you have use of your space i believe it would be trivial for you to install PHP 5.4. or have support make it available.

They have a free 14 trial if you have the time to play in that sandbox.

Best of luck with your move wherever you decide to go.

…. texted postive

#156 2020-10-17 17:57:59

bici
Website Mastodon

PS if you wish to consider Opalstack see this OpalStack forum thread

…. texted postive

Board footer