Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2020-10-07 13:14:29

gu

Activation links for new users not going through

The time has come for me to add new users to my site but I have been unable to.

Saving new users with their email addresses, while triggering a green confirmation message at the bottom of the admin panel (I think it said: activation link sent, or welcome message sent), does not lead to emails being sent. Or, if they are being sent, they are getting stuck somewhere.

I have set both of the sender addresses on Preferences>admin to be a legitimate email address in case the default was wonky, but to no avail.

As I designed my own site, I know that I did not write any pages for new users, so perhaps this is the problem. I am not sure if I need to build a Client Section, e.g. as outlined here: https://forum.textpattern.com/viewtopic.php?id=25524

Thank you!

<!— space for hope —>

#2 2020-10-07 14:51:16

Dragondz
Website GitHub Twitter

Re: Activation links for new users not going through

Hi,

wich version of txp and give us php version used.

Cheers.

#3 2020-10-07 16:01:36

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

You don’t need a client section. If the message has not been diverted to spam/junk folders, this situation usually arises because:

• Your hosting company has limited something with regards mailing out, for security.
  • The message content trips a spam filter that prevents it being sent.
  • The recipient’s mail system doesn’t trust the email that’s been received, and trashes it.

If you’ve tried registration using multiple email systems for the user (e.g. outlook, gmail, dedicated domain, etc) then it’s more than likely to be something on your hosting side.

The usual solution is to send a note to your hosting tech support explaining what you’re doing and the nature of the message, and they’ll tweak their settings to allow the messages through.

Other things you can try (depending on how much your host has allowed) is to set up SPF and/or DKIM which can help with delivery trust issues.

Hope some of that’s useful.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#4 2020-10-07 17:08:24

gu

Thank you very much for the reply, Bloke.
I had tried using multiple email systems – and had also, previously, set up DKIM and SPF (with the appropriate v= nameserver answer) in my DNS.
Therefore I have contacted my tech host and will hopefully return here to close this question when I hear back.
I am using the latest version of textpattern with the (“highly”) recommended php.

<!— space for hope —>

#5 2020-10-07 20:04:48

Vienuolis
Website GitHub GitLab Twitter

Is your admin address (From in email) in the same domain as your website?

#6 2020-10-07 23:57:38

gu

I had two problems, the second I think was related to Vienoulis’ comment, which helped me understand what my host was asking, later. The first problem, my host resolved:
  • domains had slightly misconfigured SPF Records

Second, and later, I needed to check:

• outgoing mail server addresses.

This forum has been so kind to me in my coding beginning, and so patient with my XY problems (one knows the meta but is terribly lacking in the specific).

With much gratitude for all of your help, dear forum.

<!— space for hope —>

#7 2022-03-23 05:57:37

hidalgo
Website

I’ve encountered this problem today, but it looks like the receiving email (Gmail) is rejecting the email with a Messages with multiple addresses in From:\n550 5.7.1 header are not accepted error.

Sending the email to myself shows that the email has ‘X-Mailer’ added after the from email address, as in:

email@example.com X-Mailer

Switching from PHP 8 back to PHP 7.4 resolved this, so possibly something has changed in PHP 8?

Last edited by hidalgo (2022-03-23 06:53:57)

#8 2022-03-23 06:52:21

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

Weird. Wonder if we’re not encoding the From properly with enough backslash-n chars, so the system thinks they’re a single field. Perhaps PHP <8 is more forgiving?

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#9 2022-04-04 13:50:00

gu

I am posting a bit late, but this problem existed in October. It was particularly persistent with both Gmail and Protonmail.

<!— space for hope —>

Board footer