Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#11 2020-08-28 18:41:57

gu

Re: N00b Q. re. coding default page from zero

@zero … just saw your next message. My code does include some txp but only the basics as per the intro tutorial. I am being chatty now because I would like to reply but want to get back to work so won’t edit: tl;dr =thanks for your support! & I continue to be a n00b :)
_____
When I looked at the txp page, it seemed mostly geared towards search functions over design functions – but the former is why I am interested in it. I will look at it again now.
FWIW, my dream page (but I really want to try to learn this on my own as much as I can) = logo, name, search box aligned (some of that in what I made yesterday had txp in that)
two columns of categories (I have the txp for that) [I chose two columns understanding that this would be best to simplify display on multiple devices, as I am not prepared in falling completely down that rabbit hole at this time!]
a boolean for a static part on home page only
then articles (with more boolean) beneath it
- meaning, for every page, you are always encouraged to look at other pages…
The txp already took care of much of that!!! All I had left was to fix the search bar in place and to add the static part to the home page… (well, also to centre my footer, but that is not a top priority).
Sadly I accidentally lost yesterday’s work but actually that is good because if you can’t recreate it, you didn’t learn it.
- OK, back to work!
(Thank you so much for your support, it really means a lot – and, no, there is no such thing as too much info for the [dare I say it] autodidact approach – so thanks for everything, cheers.)

Last edited by gu (2020-08-28 18:42:19)

<!— space for hope —>

#12 2020-08-28 18:42:55

zero
Website

Ask away — no problem! Browsers can be a pain at refreshing the page. I’ve been finding Firefox to be very sticky and refusing to update unless I close it down, despite clearing the cache. If you can have two or three browsers available it helps.

I always used my live sites at first for practicing — because who would be looking besides me? I used to make a copy of a page and work on that, then replace the original when I thought it was good enough. But before long you will want to install a LAMP stack, a XAMPP stack or a MAMP stack. These are development platforms on your home computer, for Linux, Windows or Mac. They basically set you up with a website on your own local computer. You work on that and then basically copy the database over to your remote site when you are ready to go live. If you want to install one of these, look around for some good step-by-step instructions for the installation, sorry I can’t recommend anything.

Wondrous Healing Wondrous ways to a healthy old age
Safe Reiki Harmless natural healing.
Gud One Blog

#13 2020-08-28 18:46:57

etc
Developer
Website

gu wrote #325648:

It just occurred to me to ask (if I may ask you another question, sorry) whether I supposed to be practising somewhere else, and not ‘live’ on my actual site?

Welcome to txp and please feel free asking questions. This one is fully replied here.

#14 2020-08-28 18:51:00

zero
Website

etc wrote #325651:

Welcome to txp and please feel free asking questions. This one is fully replied here.

Completely didn’t think of that, old habits die hard. Yes, definitely the way to go!

Gud One Blog

#15 2020-08-28 20:49:25

gu

edited for clarity and to remove the pathos
@ etc – wow, what a powerful opportunity given by textpattern. That is so amazing. But thank you also in that article confirming that the ‘live’ problem is real. I currently do not have any viewers of my site but am in a hurry to finish (hopefully) before I do.
The developer option also confirms my appreciation for txp.

@zero thank you so much for writing about browser experience, that was also super helpful. Also, thank you so much for your continued support.

Last edited by gu (2020-08-29 12:13:03)

<!— space for hope —>

#16 2020-08-29 12:28:22

gu

This is to thank everyone for their help and for being so welcoming. Not only did I get the search box where I wanted it thanks to your help, but the other suggestions have been an incredible bolster to get me on my way. There is so much here that is useful! I am grateful for this wonderful community experience.

<!— space for hope —>

#17 2020-08-29 15:14:03

zero
Website

Glad we could help in some way. You’re always welcome on the forum. There are often a few others who are very clued up but I think they may be on holiday at the moment. The forum also has magical powers — quite often when I have a problem I’m struggling with, I write it out and almost immediately after I press the Submit button, the answer comes to me. It happens a lot. Colak has even got it in his signature, it’s such a regular thing for him.

Take care, see you again and thank you too for your sparkly comments. Oh, and thanks for autodidact which is a word that’s new to me but I’ll use it from now on, seeing as I am an autodidact too :-)

Gud One Blog

#18 2020-08-29 16:55:47

colak
Admin
Website

zero wrote #325657:

Glad we could help in some way. You’re always welcome on the forum. There are often a few others who are very clued up but I think they may be on holiday at the moment. The forum also has magical powers — quite often when I have a problem I’m struggling with, I write it out and almost immediately after I press the Submit button, the answer comes to me. It happens a lot. Colak has even got it in his signature, it’s such a regular thing for him.

I guess that the forum helps us in putting our coding issues into words, meant for communication with others. This divorces the code from its abstractions and distils it to its functions. For this reason alone, the forum has, through the years, become an excellent and, in my view, indispensable, tool in the txp arsenal.

Yiannis
——————————
neme.org | hblack.net | State Machines | NeMe @ github
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#19 2020-08-29 17:29:21

gu

What beautiful comments these are! And very meta… putting the symbol systems of code into words. But the fact that learning just enough code and learning txp came with this community is still inspiring me! I had read about online communities, like in Howard Rheingold’s accounts of the Well (I recommend his book Virtual Community, which is free to read online) but never found such a welcoming place. The fact that txp comes with people around it is really amazing. I guess that means it is a living language! (OK, I know it is not a language but tags, but…)
If all of our symbol systems are not bringing us closer together as humans, helping us ‘co-individuate’ (to quote Bernard Stiegler), it would be a wasted opportunity, I think. By contrast, txp is designed to bring things together in a super way and also brings people together, here on this forum!

<!— space for hope —>

Board footer