michaelkpate wrote #325609:

I am happy I live in a small town.

Small towns are the future

…. texted postive

#50 2020-09-14 09:11:48

zero
Website

Re: Fookin' GAFM, again

FYI: Tutanota has been under DDOS attack since the middle of August (when it was down for most of the weekend). It’s been slow and unavailable for shorter lengths of time since, usually worse at weekends (probably because of less staff to cope with it?).

I was considering another email provider (possibly Posteo) but then found a thread with comments from Tutanota on it. They are appealing for us to be patient and are adapting and adjusting to mitigate the attacks. They have received no demands for money or other demands, so they conclude it is a deliberate attack on privacy.

Other commenters are blaming the Chinese and Russian governments, I think it could easily be G or M who want to corner the email market as well as surveill everyone. It might also be Protonmail (an NSA operation according to some). Who knows?

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#51 2020-09-14 10:18:44

etc
Developer
Website GitHub

Since few months I can not reply to gmail messages. Seemingly, my email provider does not comply with G policy, but I can not blame it.

#52 2020-09-14 12:52:21

zero
Website

etc wrote #325891:

Since few months I can not reply to gmail messages. Seemingly, my email provider does not comply with G policy, but I can not blame it.

That document makes me think – that’s a lot of rules to obey just to maintain normal email conversations with the millions of Gmail users. Then, if I wasn’t sure of myself, I’d probably think – oh, I give up, I don’t want this hassle, I’ll get a Gmail email.

All kinds of tactics being used by the powerful to become even more powerful…

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#53 2020-09-14 13:03:15

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

zero wrote #325898:

All kinds of tactics being used by the powerful to become even more powerful…

:-)

Google / Gmail is the perfect textbook example of a (large) bureaucratic organisation using and abusing rules to expand their powers.

in my humble life, I am blessed with not having to deal to much with gmail users, and when I have to, most often it is via mailing list and the list server handles the problem. In some cases I use my Dreamhost hosted mail addresses – DH is so much in bed with google nowadays…

Where is that emoji for a solar powered submarine when you need it ?
Sand space – admin theme for Textpattern

#54 2020-10-13 23:20:57

bici
Website Mastodon

Fookin’ Goog ‘n’ Farcebook:
i have heard back from number of friends that they wanted to reduce their online presence since viewing The Social Dilemma film. two actually deleted all of their “Social” accounts … no more farcebook instagram nor twitter. they have turned off Notifications from their devices. Three mentioned they have deleted some social accounts and are in the process deleting the others. One cousin told me that they use 2eonly email every other day. In other words there are days when they don’t read email. The resistance is starting….

…. texted postive

#55 2020-10-14 09:19:09

zero
Website

bici wrote #326364:

Fookin’ Goog ‘n’ Farcebook:
i have heard back from number of friends that they wanted to reduce their online presence since viewing The Social Dilemma film. two actually deleted all of their “Social” accounts … no more farcebook instagram nor twitter. they have turned off Notifications from their devices. Three mentioned they have deleted some social accounts and are in the process deleting the others. One cousin told me that they use 2eonly email every other day. In other words there are days when they don’t read email. The resistance is starting….

I “deleted” my Farcebook account in January 2019. I received a Fb message at the time about termination which would happen soon and have heard zilch since. No confirmation unlike all other web transactions I’ve cancelled or terminated.

I just visited fb.com and. almost two years later, my email and password are already filled in ready for me to login. So they use very long term cookies. I’m certain they have all my details stored away in their db. After all, why would they want to delete a rich personal profile? How could law enforcement or suchlike ever be certain they’d deleted what they say they’ve deleted?

Social Dilemma sounds like a good film though, if it can cause people to change their habits like that.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#56 2020-10-14 09:33:22

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

zero wrote #326375:

Social Dilemma sounds like a good film though, if it can cause people to change their habits like that.

If you’re switched on to the purposes, side effects and consequences of centralised social networks, I daresay you won’t learn much from it. Which is not to say it’s a bad documentary – quite the opposite – it’s well put together and compelling, but it’s not aimed at privacy advocates or those with enough knowledge to be motivated to take action.

I watched it, enjoyed it, and nothing changed for me – but I’m an outlier. My partner, who spends a large portion of their day on devices connected to social networks, was sufficiently interested enough to want to watch it from the start after wandering in and seeing me watching it…5 minutes was all it took to get their interest. This is the same person who grudgingly accepts that Google results with ads are not clickable since I’ve got a Pi Hole running at home to stop that stuff. Our compromise was a URL link for them to go to the Pi Hole admin, disable it for 30 seconds, click the link, then enable it again. Thankfully that’s rare.

I’ve got Pi Hole running at the DNS level, along with AdGuard at the device level where it’s viable, and that takes care of most stuff or me. I am a big fan of AdGuard, well worth the money I spent on it, and new computers that come into my office all get a licence as part of the build. Admittedly, I am also an outlier on the internet usage spectrum, given my work, but saving 60GB of ads and junk in 15 months is worth it to me. Throw in a VPN for good measure, and Tor for…stuff…and I’m pretty happy with things overall.

#57 2020-10-14 09:48:25

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

zero wrote #326375:

I just visited fb.com and. almost two years later, my email and password are already filled in ready for me to login.

Not wanting to spoil the fun and all, but was that login data stored in your browser password manager ? That would also explain those pre-filled fields.

Facebook is a monstrosity like that “hotel california” song from a popular pop group (Beatles or something ?) years ago — “… where you can never leave”…

#58 2020-10-14 09:57:23

zero
Website

phiw13 wrote #326377:

Not wanting to spoil the fun and all, but was that login data stored in your browser password manager ? That would also explain those pre-filled fields.

I’ve had to completely start again with passwords and logins on sites a few times in the last two years, having cleared all cookies and cache. So perhaps there’s a browser password manager that retains more than the stuff that can be cleared. It’s not a password manager that I consciously use though, and I would have thought an automatic one would clear cookies after their expiration date?

EDIT: I just found it was indeed in my password section of Firefox (never visited that before) and was Created: 16 December 2018, Last modified: 16 December 2018, Last used: 23 January 2019

Last edited by zero (2020-10-14 10:01:45)

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#59 2020-10-14 10:08:25

phiw13
Plugin Author
Website

zero wrote #326378:

I’ve had to completely start again with passwords and logins on sites a few times in the last two years, having cleared all cookies and cache. So perhaps there’s a browser password manager that retains more than the stuff that can be cleared. It’s not a password manager that I consciously use though, and I would have thought an automatic one would clear cookies after their expiration date?

That is not how it works… when you first log in to a site your browser, or an extension such as 1 password, will offer to “save” or “store” your login name & password. If you agree, the next time your visit that site and log in, the browser will automatically fill the data based on what it remembers (exact behaviour may vary depending on site, autofill attribute is important here, along with https). No cookies of any kind involved

EDIT: I just found it was indeed in my password section of Firefox (never visited that before) and was Created: 16 December 2018, Last modified: 16 December 2018, Last used: 23 January 2019

Yes, that is it. an important part of the browser functionality. glad you found out. use it.

#60 2020-10-14 10:13:04

zero
Website

phiw13 wrote #326379:

Yes, that is it. an important part of the browser functionality. glad you found out. use it.

Thanks Phillipe

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

Board footer