Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#1 2020-07-31 14:09:31

zero
Website

Deprecated: Slave - a simple blog theme

Please now use the Slim blog themes which are much improved versions of Slave.

Slave Theme, Demo Site and Download

A live site using a more cheerful version of the theme.

Now available on GitHub

A simple blog with a home page with links to articles. That’s it. There cannot unknowingly be duplicate content. (A big THANKS to Oleg for some code that trims the URL of possible duplicate pages). Please test if you can create a duplicate content list or page. If you can please let us know.

I’ve used images that are dark but the mood soon changes with new images. Colours are easily changed too – all gathered together at the end of the stylesheet.

One plugin used: wet_haystack to extend search to excerpts, custom fields and categories.

I hope someone finds it useful.

Last edited by zero (2020-08-26 15:25:45)

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#2 2020-07-31 14:29:19

jakob
Admin
Website

Re: Deprecated: Slave - a simple blog theme

Wow, two from you in rapid succession! And, a nice idea with giving each a theme within the theme, however “grim” :-)

TXP Builders – finely-crafted code, design and txp

#3 2020-07-31 14:48:03

zero
Website

jakob wrote #325043:

Wow, two from you in rapid succession! And, a nice idea with giving each a theme within the theme, however “grim” :-)

Thanks jakob, there probably won’t be any more for a while, I’ve been doing far too much sitting down working on these. I feel for all those people who spend years sat at desks, kind of enslaved. I hope the whole Textpattern team are getting plenty of exercise and not getting too obsessed with coding and designing. You’re all doing a great job with Textpattern, it just gets better, but don’t burn out!

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#4 2020-08-03 02:33:43

bici
Website Mastodon

zero wrote #325044:

Thanks jakob, there probably won’t be any more for a while, I’ve been doing far too much sitting down working on these. I feel for all those people who spend years sat at desks, kind of enslaved. I hope the whole Textpattern team are getting plenty of exercise and not getting too obsessed with coding and designing. You’re all doing a great job with Textpattern, it just gets better, but don’t burn out!

zero wrote #325041:

Slave Theme, Demo Site and Download

A live site using a more cheerful version of the theme.

A simple blog with a home page with links to articles. That’s it. There cannot unknowingly be duplicate content. (A big THANKS to Oleg for some code that trims the URL of possible duplicate pages). Please test if you can create a duplicate content list or page. If you can please let us know.

I’ve used images that are dark but the mood soon changes with new images. Colours are easily changed too – all gathered together at the end of the stylesheet.

One plugin used: wet_haystack to extend search to excerpts, custom fields and categories.

I hope someone finds it useful.

question. your slave theme when downloaded has a Slave dir within the main Folder Slave. I get errors about not being able to read Files dir.

should there be two Slave Dirs?

Edit :

cannot read from directories/files /home/bide/apps/nae/themes/slave/manifest.json.

Last edited by bici (2020-08-03 02:35:48)

…. texted postive

#5 2020-08-03 05:28:22

colak
Admin
Website GitHub Mastodon Twitter

bici wrote #325074:

question. your slave theme when downloaded has a Slave dir within the main Folder Slave. I get errors about not being able to read Files dir.

should there be two Slave Dirs?

Edit :

cannot read from directories/files /home/bide/apps/nae/themes/slave/manifest.json.

Hi bici, did you check the permissions?

Yiannis
——————————
NeMe | hblack.art | EMAP | A Sea change | Toolkit of Care
I do my best editing after I click on the submit button.

#6 2020-08-03 07:16:55

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

bici wrote #325074:

should there be two Slave Dirs? … cannot read from directories/files /home/bide/apps/nae/themes/slave/manifest.json.

The README-instructions.txt explains more but the structure of the zip doesn’t exactly mimic a Txp file structure.

• The images are uploaded, in order, into your database.
  • The /css directory goes in your site root.
  • The slave directory from inside the archive goes inside /themes for you to import from the Presentation>Themes panel. And you need to set correct permissions so it can be read/write to the server.

Last edited by Bloke (2020-08-03 07:17:36)

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#7 2020-08-03 07:47:07

zero
Website

Thanks for answering Bloke.

Bici, I think you meant there were two Images folders? I mistakenly put an Images folder (with images from gud.one) inside the Slave folder. As Bloke says the Slave folder should be uploaded to the Themes directory. So just ignore or delete the images folder that is within it.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#8 2020-08-03 08:02:54

zero
Website

Sorry for the confusion, thanks bici for finding the error. There’s now a corrected slave.zip to download from the demo site.

Unfortunately the instructions are quite long, but you need to follow them for the theme to work as expected.

Last edited by zero (2020-08-03 13:05:11)

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#9 2020-08-03 13:06:59

zero
Website

Now available on GitHub

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#10 2020-08-05 09:35:29

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

I’m going to suggest a rename of this theme to something less charged, especially given this year’s events. Additionally, a more appropriate demo site header image is in order.

#11 2020-08-06 10:32:48

zero
Website

Yes, I might change it to Endure and switch the focus from oppression to hope. Lots to think about before I decide…

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#12 2020-08-06 10:49:58

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

zero wrote #325189:

switch the focus from oppression to hope.

Given the nature of your links in your signature, very fitting and a good call. Seeing as you have Wave already…how about something else ending in –ave and make that a recurring motif?

Save (yourself from SEO)? Repave (your own path)? Brave (see previous two)? Lave (wash against…SEO, etc)? That sort of thing.

Board footer