Go to main content

Textpattern CMS support forum

You are not logged in. Register | Login | Help

#13 2020-07-30 20:37:19

zero
Website

Re: Feedback for: Textpattern CMS 4.8.2 released

Compatability check sounds good. You could put a big red button somewhere but you’d still get people ignoring it (as long as I’m around :). A couple of things I also noticed:

Sometimes Diagnostics shows .htaccess contents, sometimes it doesn’t.

In READme upgrade instructions, it says “NOTE: Versions prior to 4.2.0 should be upgraded to 4.2.0 before subsequent version upgrades.” But I don’t see any links anywhere to get hold of such a version.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#14 2020-07-30 20:44:01

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

zero wrote #325021:

Sometimes Diagnostics shows .htaccess contents, sometimes it doesn’t.

Hmm, really? That is weird. I’d like to see the contents of an .htaccess file that Diagnostics doesn’t show just to check there’s nothing in it that’s causing the display of it to throw a wobbly.

In READme upgrade instructions, it says “NOTE: Versions prior to 4.2.0 should be upgraded to 4.2.0 before subsequent version upgrades.” But I don’t see any links anywhere to get hold of such a version.

True. We could maybe add that. They’re all available from github.com/textpattern/textpattern/releases, either to browse or access directly by adding tag and the version number (4.2.0 in this case).

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#15 2020-07-30 20:50:40

zero
Website

I looked around textpattern.com for the 4.2.0. Perhaps that’s where others would look? Perhaps at the end of the Get started page? Most things I’ve ever downloaded are on a page with other downloads available.

I’ll dig out offending .htaccess files for you soon.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#16 2020-07-30 21:24:49

Bloke
Developer
Website GitHub

zero wrote #325023:

Perhaps at the end of the Get started page?

Good idea. We could always add a little section on the end of the Get Started page with a link to GitHub releases to obtain “legacy versions” and just strongly discourage their use unless it’s for upgrade hopping.

Thank you. If there’s anything sensitive in them you don’t want to post here, drop me an email.

The smd plugin menagerie — for when you need one more gribble of power from Textpattern. Bleeding-edge code available on GitHub.

Txp Builders – finely-crafted code, design and Txp

#17 2020-07-31 01:01:16

maverick
Website

Bloke wrote #325020:

Not sure if that’s better or worse than a broken admin side or site. Probably better.

Love your thinking and am excited for the next level plugin management coming!

My thinking on the disabling plugins vs messing up the front side of a website – I get it’s a personal preference. I’d rather have my front of site messed up temporarily than to edit the database directly to disable an offending plugin.

Back on topic – thank you to each of you for the great job improving great software.

#18 2020-07-31 05:44:00

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

zero wrote #325021:

This is partially my doing as I did the scoping out for upgrading old-old versions to new releases. Point taken about it not being hugely helpful as-is, but searching for “Textpattern 4.2.0” on a variety of search engines just now brings up the release notes blog post as the first or second hit. Searching textpattern.com for “4.2.0” brings the same post as the third hit right now. Not really ideal, since we use “Textpattern CMS” in the blog title so any searching for “Textpattern 4.2.0” only catches outliers.

There’s also this forum article which ranks quite highly in SERPs: forum.textpattern.com/viewtopic.php?id=48695

…and one for the archivists/librarians/packrats: github.com/textpattern-community/textpattern-releases

#19 2020-07-31 07:31:05

zero
Website

gaekwad wrote #325027:

There’s also this forum article which ranks quite highly in SERPs: forum.textpattern.com/viewtopic.php?id=48695

…and one for the archivists/librarians/packrats: github.com/textpattern-community/textpattern-releases

Great stuff, Pete. I didn’t think of using a search engine to look for it, I just went to textpattern.com and had a quick look round. I suppose anyone with the task of reviving such an old site would be more likely to do as you did, rather than my dopey way.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#20 2020-07-31 08:13:15

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

zero wrote #325028:

I didn’t think of using a search engine to look for it, I just went to textpattern.com and had a quick look round.

Your point is valid, though – and I wasn’t being snarky, I hope that’s not how that came across. There’s a branding guideline that we have, broadly speaking when we refer to Textpattern we call it Textpattern CMS the first time, then Textpattern after that…and release articles tend to be more keyword oriented given their wider audience (i.e. not just forum frequent flyers).

Not sure how we solve this – offering a download archive on .com might send mixed messages…but then there’s essentially an archive on GitHub, so…dunno.

#21 2020-07-31 08:25:54

zero
Website

You didn’t come across as snarky. On reflection, I think you’ve already solved it, it would be such a rare case, and people would use search if they really wanted 4.2.0

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#22 2020-07-31 09:42:05

Destry
Website

Bloke a dit:

The new size attribute. . .

giz wrote #325018:

Fantastika!

Indeed. Nice and needed new tweak.

#23 2020-08-01 10:45:00

zero
Website

Bloke wrote #325024:
zero wrote #325023:

It’s Litespeed, I do believe. All sites hosted on litespeed servers don’t show .htaccess contents in diagnostics, whereas all on Apache servers do, as far as my tests go. The .htaccess on the litespeeds were various including default Textpattern.

BB6 Band My band
Gud One My blog

#24 2020-08-01 10:52:57

gaekwad
Server grease monkey
GitHub

zero wrote #325056:

It’s Litespeed, I do believe. All sites hosted on litespeed servers don’t show .htaccess contents in diagnostics, whereas all on Apache servers do, as far as my tests go.

This triggered a hazy memory of a client I had last year, so I went looking around – found this: openlitespeed.org/kb/migrate-apache-rewrite-rules-to-openlitespeed/ (linked from www.litespeedtech.com/support/forum/threads/openlitespeed-wont-read-htaccess-files.17644/ for info).

Edit: I haven’t used Litespeed myself but I recall (distantly) there was some .htaccess fun and games with this Litespeed client, so it might be worth a closer look.

Last edited by gaekwad (2020-08-01 10:59:30)

Board footer